Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater Problems After Heater Matrix Change On Mkii
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
Smitty
I recently had to have the heater matrix changed on my 05 Focus which continues to be a problematic car for me.
The bloke in the garage says its probably the worst job hes ever had to do as the whole dash had to come out!

Anyway, since its all been put back together there have been problems concerning the 3 heater dials in the central dash. Nearly everything else seems to work fine (see below).

1. None of the illuminations for the 3 dials work anymore, including the air-con and circulation lights.
2. The blowers do work but only on the no.4 speed.
3. When the blower is set to the windscreen de-mist setting and set to cold, i get cold air blowing on the windscreen but WARM air coming through in the footwells!

So what have they done wrong here? They say that the connectors behin the dials are simply groups of plugs that just fit together.
Would 2/3 happen if they disconnected the dials, accidentally switched them to different positions and then reconnected them?

Maybe its not worth noting but the heaters are now not as warm and the engine temperature reads around 50c instead of the usual 60. Apparently this is caused by a now faulty thermostat that was damaged when the engine overheated due to the heater matrix playing up.

Im hoping someone here knows what might be causing these problems as i reckon the garage are stumped. They are trying to fix it for free but its time in the garage that i cant afford!
Cheers!!
artscot79
[quote name='Smitty' date='28 March 2010 - 07:03 PM' timestamp='1269798781' post='74592']
I recently had to have the heater matrix changed on my 05 Focus which continues to be a problematic car for me.
The bloke in the garage says its probably the worst job hes ever had to do as the whole dash had to come out!

Anyway, since its all been put back together there have been problems concerning the 3 heater dials in the central dash. Nearly everything else seems to work fine (see below).

1. None of the illuminations for the 3 dials work anymore, including the air-con and circulation lights.[b][u] chopped wire at the rear possibly or loose wire[/u][/b]
2. The blowers do work but only on the no.4 [b][u]speed.fan resistor has gone would be unrelated to the matrix3[/u][/b]. When the blower is set to the windscreen de-mist setting and set to cold, going
i get cold air blowing on the windscreen but WARM air coming through in the footwells![b][u]some aircon systems do this im not sure if it is or isnt the case with ford
[/u][/b]
So what have they done wrong here? They say that the connectors behin the dials are simply groups of plugs that just fit together.
Would 2/3 happen if they disconnected the dials, accidentally switched them to different positions and then reconnected them?

Maybe its not worth noting but the heaters are now not as warm and the engine temperature reads around 50c instead of the usual 60. Apparently this is caused by a now faulty thermostat that was damaged when the engine overheated due to the heater matrix playing up.

Im hoping someone here knows what might be causing these problems as i reckon the garage are stumped. They are trying to fix it for free but its time in the garage that i cant afford!
Cheers!!
[/quote]
Smitty
Thanks for the reply!
Air con causing No.3 would make sense as it automatically switches on when the blowers are set to the de-mister setting.
I just cant see the light on the air-con button to see if its on or not!

Thanks again for your help!
artscot79
[quote name='Smitty' date='28 March 2010 - 07:36 PM' timestamp='1269800777' post='74605']
Thanks for the reply!
Air con causing No.3 would make sense as it automatically switches on when the blowers are set to the de-mister setting.
I just cant see the light on the air-con button to see if its on or not!

Thanks again for your help!
[/quote]

well im going based on my old passat when the aircon first went on it automatically blew air to the feet something to do with clearing the condensation from the pipes rather than blasting it on the window youre trying to demist sounds very much klike they have nipped a wire if the light also isnt working they should use a multimeter on each pin on the plug to check if its got/getting power to it if all of them are ide look at the bulb fairly simple really to test it i would also have a look in the book and see if theres a fuse that feeds those bulbs also its doubtfull but worth a shot
Smitty
Ill check, thanks!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615