Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Choosing Aftermarket Headlights
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
stevewright
hey, im looking to get slick new headlight units for my all black ford focus (2007 mark 2)

prob is, theres so many out there, and the one i really like is very expensive, and i have only found from taiwan. also, apparantly to replace ccfl halo bulps they can be 40quid each?!

here are the options...

this is option most practical to get, not to expensive, looks cool
[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk258/stevewrighty2k/BF5BlCGkKGrHgoH-CMEjlLly1TnBKp5RGf4.jpg[/IMG]

these lights are a work of art! love them, but most expensive of the lot, and also availability could be a problem (and ccfl replacements are 40 quid each)
[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk258/stevewrighty2k/HL-FD-Focus-05-CCFL-Pro-R8Look-BKa1.jpg[/IMG]

these are quite nice, but do they look a bit too clumsy?
do like the led running lights though
[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk258/stevewrighty2k/HL-FD-Focus-05-Pro-R8Look-J-BKa1.jpg[/IMG]

i love the led running lights here, but hate the square headlights..
[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk258/stevewrighty2k/FO36L27S1.jpg[/IMG]

what do you guys reckon?

Also, if i do get an option that comes with ccfl halos, how long do these last? (am i gona have to fork out 160 to replace them every yr)

thanks
artscot79
the first ones personally i would go for i think they look better i hate drls they are on everything saxos and corsas etc they have become the chav mod to have
ford focus edge
I quite like DRL's lol but the top ones are best simple clean style no faf ive got projector chrome angel eyes on mine and they look smart at night and day because there a simple design, less is more lol and i love the halo rings :ph34r:

Mike
DeeBe
I've been thinking about the top ones, but I'm well worried in case I lose my level adjuster in the car...
ford focus edge
[quote name='DeeBe' date='29 March 2010 - 10:07 PM' timestamp='1269896268' post='74890']
I've been thinking about the top ones, but I'm well worried in case I lose my level adjuster in the car...
[/quote]

Mine are no longer eletric but they come with a old fasioned crap ass winder on the back thats a pain in the royal arse to adjust but once its done its done simples just requires time and patiance.

Mike
DeeBe
See this worries me, as I have people in the back of my car quite often so I need to wind them down to compensate...

It puts me off having to lift the bonnet and remove the headlight to adjust it every time. :(
ford focus edge
[quote name='DeeBe' date='30 March 2010 - 12:47 PM' timestamp='1269949065' post='74951']
See this worries me, as I have people in the back of my car quite often so I need to wind them down to compensate...

It puts me off having to lift the bonnet and remove the headlight to adjust it every time. :(
[/quote]

I have people in the back of my car every now and then and never found i needed to do that :huh: i think you can mod the lights to your eletric adjusters but it'l be a faf and not worth the time/expence. If your focus is a zetec dosent it have the darker style lights anyway though.

Mike
hawker
I would go for one of the first 2 sets.
I think the 3rd set look dreadful.

A word of warning about the halos tho. I assume set 1 are not ccfl's and are LED halos. If they are anything like the set I put in my Celica, the halos themselves are very dim indeed. They can only really be seen when its quite dark, and this is when you need your headlights on - and then the halos cant be seen! If you want visible halos then you should really go down the ccfl route.

And I think most aftermarket lights do not have the headlight levelling, and would be surprised if any of the above offer this.
DeeBe
[quote name='ford focus edge' date='30 March 2010 - 12:50 PM' timestamp='1269949243' post='74952']
I have people in the back of my car every now and then and never found i needed to do that :huh: i think you can mod the lights to your eletric adjusters but it'l be a faf and not worth the time/expence. If your focus is a zetec dosent it have the darker style lights anyway though.Mike
[/quote]

Yah Mike, mine does have the dark lights, but I quite like the idea of the projector lens, I've driven a Focus with these lenses (halogen, not Xenon - directional light iirc) and the light was much more focused and a lot more defined.

Dave
artscot79
[quote name='hawker' date='30 March 2010 - 04:13 PM' timestamp='1269961402' post='74995']
I would go for one of the first 2 sets.
I think the 3rd set look dreadful.

A word of warning about the halos tho. I assume set 1 are not ccfl's and are LED halos. If they are anything like the set I put in my Celica, the halos themselves are very dim indeed. They can only really be seen when its quite dark, and this is when you need your headlights on - and then the halos cant be seen! If you want visible halos then you should really go down the ccfl route.

And I think most aftermarket lights do not have the headlight levelling, and would be surprised if any of the above offer this.
[/quote]

they dont come with the levelling you have to swap the motors over from youre originals which can be easy or hard it just depends if its a concern then simply dont do it is my advice the standard lights look fine
DeeBe
Think I'm inclined to agree Art. I just can't justify the work!

I've got a set of spare black Depo headlights too, bought in error, I was going to try to convert them to projectors, but I can't be bothered, I think they need the level motors out of mine too. Just sitting there now, collecting dust!
ford focus edge
[quote name='DeeBe' date='30 March 2010 - 05:12 PM' timestamp='1269964956' post='75019']
Think I'm inclined to agree Art. I just can't justify the work!

I've got a set of spare black Depo headlights too, bought in error, I was going to try to convert them to projectors, but I can't be bothered, I think they need the level motors out of mine too. Just sitting there now, collecting dust!
[/quote]

What about just wacking in some mega xeon effect bulbs, ive got the projectors on mine with some xeon effect bulbs that art linked me to and teamed with the projector lenses there pretty damn good lol and look just like standard ford xeon lights which was the key reason for the swap over (and to get the amber indicator lense off). If you just upgrade the bulbs though youl end up spending 20quid max with yours being a zetec youl still have the darker lenses so wont be TO bad i reckon.

Another thing with lights is if your car in unmodded and you wack halo's on youl look an idiot lol things like lights need to either be VERY subtle or the car needs a few other things to blend everything in nicley imo.

Mike
artscot79
[quote name='ford focus edge' date='31 March 2010 - 12:26 PM' timestamp='1270034206' post='75178']
What about just wacking in some mega xeon effect bulbs, ive got the projectors on mine with some xeon effect bulbs that art linked me to and teamed with the projector lenses there pretty damn good lol and look just like standard ford xeon lights which was the key reason for the swap over (and to get the amber indicator lense off). If you just upgrade the bulbs though youl end up spending 20quid max with yours being a zetec youl still have the darker lenses so wont be TO bad i reckon.

Another thing with lights is if your car in unmodded and you wack halo's on youl look an idiot lol things like lights need to either be VERY subtle or the car needs a few other things to blend everything in nicley imo.

Mike
[/quote]

i agree upgrade the bulbs and forget the lights looking at the standard ones they are more than fine as they are

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.