Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Coil Snapped & Tyre Blew!
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Mondeo Club
Mike C
Went over speed bump in street to-day (slowy) heard a loud bang, on inspection of front tyre found it was almost inside out, Ironically was on way to Kwik Fit for a tyre as had punture yest?! recovery guy said it was coil spring snapped in 2 from what he could see....Showed me it definatly snapped alrite, and that caused my tyre to pop
Took it away for repair anybody any idea as to cost??

Mk3 Zetec

Cheers
stef123
[quote name='Mike C' date='07 April 2010 - 09:13 PM' timestamp='1270670611' post='76701']
Went over speed bump in street to-day (slowy) heard a loud bang, on inspection of front tyre found it was almost inside out, Ironically was on way to Kwik Fit for a tyre as had punture yest?! recovery guy said it was coil spring snapped in 2 from what he could see....Showed me it definatly snapped alrite, and that caused my tyre to pop
Took it away for repair anybody any idea as to cost??

Mk3 Zetec

Cheers
[/quote]

at an independant, i would say an hours labour plus the cost of the spring. so at a guess, 100-120 plus the cost of your tyre
Mike C
[quote name='stef123' date='07 April 2010 - 10:09 PM' timestamp='1270677576' post='76732']
at an independant, i would say an hours labour plus the cost of the spring. so at a guess, 100-120 plus the cost of your tyre
[/quote]

Cheers Stef123,

Car was only mot'd 3 weeks ago....is this something they could of picked up on?
stef123
[quote name='Mike C' date='07 April 2010 - 11:37 PM' timestamp='1270679236' post='76737']
Cheers Stef123,

Car was only mot'd 3 weeks ago....is this something they could of picked up on?
[/quote]

unlikey, coil springs have a mind of their own. they can snap at any time really, there is no telling when one might go. its not always as bad as yours, it could just snap one coil and it will rattle like mad but it can also be alot worse, imagine being on the motorway and that happening.

it is advisable to replace springs in axle pairs though, i know this will add to your repair bill but it keeps the suspension balanced and the other one always seems to follow the first one shortly after.
artscot79
[quote name='stef123' date='07 April 2010 - 11:55 PM' timestamp='1270680316' post='76741']
unlikey, coil springs have a mind of their own. they can snap at any time really, there is no telling when one might go. its not always as bad as yours, it could just snap one coil and it will rattle like mad but it can also be alot worse, imagine being on the motorway and that happening.

it is advisable to replace springs in axle pairs though, i know this will add to your repair bill but it keeps the suspension balanced and the other one always seems to follow the first one shortly after.
[/quote]

well my focus for the spring and fitting and tracking was 101 quid ijncluding the vat
P4RKY
my mate had same prob with his 51 mondeo front coil went 2 weeks after mot by (fords) he went back played hell amd they replaced all 4 corners no questions asked
fordmann
[quote name='P4RKY' date='08 April 2010 - 09:33 PM' timestamp='1270761791' post='76953']
my mate had same prob with his 51 mondeo front coil went 2 weeks after mot by (fords) he went back played hell amd they replaced all 4 corners no questions asked
[/quote]

The last time a spring broke on mine it was 45 + labour - around an hour or so done by an independant
chris2911
genuine ford spring 45 plus vat +fitting

my front os spring snapped the day after mot

Full Colour Version: Front Coil Snapped & Tyre Blew!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.