Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help With Instalation Of Lights!!!
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford KA / StreetKA Club
dantheman123
Hi,

Cut a long story short i have a 52 plate Ka and its black, i wante dto make it look a bit cooler and i saw a mate with some L.E.D's on his car at night and thought it looked pretty cool so i decide dto buy some myself, there are two six inch strips which i plan to stcik onto the bottom of each corner of the bumper. Its says to link them up to my sidelights but i would rather have them for night time, how would i go about doing this? i have th haynes car manuel but im not to sure what section to read... Can anybody help please?

Many thanks

Dan
artscot79
[quote name='dantheman123' date='09 April 2010 - 01:06 AM' timestamp='1270771007' post='76994']
Hi,

Cut a long story short i have a 52 plate Ka and its black, i wante dto make it look a bit cooler and i saw a mate with some L.E.D's on his car at night and thought it looked pretty cool so i decide dto buy some myself, there are two six inch strips which i plan to stcik onto the bottom of each corner of the bumper. Its says to link them up to my sidelights but i would rather have them for night time, how would i go about doing this? i have th haynes car manuel but im not to sure what section to read... Can anybody help please?

Many thanks

Dan
[/quote]

do they have resistors attatched? if not dont even bother with them leds are low voltage lighting youre car lights and wiring are not low voltage you can wire them up and fit them and they will work for a while then will burn out as youre oputting too much voltage into them drls are designed to come on with the ignition on so need to be wired up to a place in the fusebox if it has a function for drls if not some wire them to the sidelights which to me defeats the purpose as you need the sidelights on for them to work some wire them to the battery which isnt a good idea to do it correct they need to be wired to a resistor thats wired to the cars wiring reducing the voltage to the leds that wiring needs to be connected to a switched ignition source so ignition barrell is a good place
dantheman123
Ahh, yeah it did say to attach them to the side lights, but i wanted them for at night with headlights :( but as you said this is not a good idea? and no, there are no resistors as i can see, just the black strips with leds inside then the wiring, this is linked to a temp battery for show in the halfords...

So what would you advise? just dont put them on? is there any way i could reduce the voltage myself... or am i wasting my time?

Thanks Dan

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.