Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Cuts Out :s
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
Gerrardinho
Hi guys, im new to the forum, my name is Kurt, I drive a 1.8 ford focus petrol, unfortunately shes running like a bag of bolts...

My engine is cutting out/stalling when i slow down to a certain amount of rev or if im in neutral,the car shudders several times a minute as if it is about to stall, the shuddering isn't too heavy but is noticable.

Ive heard it could be the idle control valve, or something along those lines, im afraid im don't have the largest knowledge on cars.

Also other symptoms I have:

Car makes a hissing noise from the front of the car obviously

Engine light is on

Steering seems heavier (maybe as car wants to cut out?)

Battery light of course flickers as its about to cut out

ABS light comes on now and then (this was actually on before this started to happen so could be a seperate case, was told its the pick up ring, got a new one fitted by local garage, ABS light comes on and off still as it pleases)

Revs go up by its self when put into neutral, as im slowing down for traffic or im coasting onto my drive way the revs go up to around 2-3.

If anyone has a similar problem, or knows exactly what is goin on and how much it is likely to set me back I would be very greatful :)

Cheers guys
mintalkin
if the engine is makeing a hissing noise you could have a split pipe on the pcv which would allow air into the system,try and trace the noise and check all the rubber hoses you can find for signs of a split or hole.
artscot79
[quote name='mintalkin' date='13 April 2010 - 03:41 PM' timestamp='1271169115' post='77670']
if the engine is makeing a hissing noise you could have a split pipe on the pcv which would allow air into the system,try and trace the noise and check all the rubber hoses you can find for signs of a split or hole.
[/quote]

check the pcv hose under the throttle body for splits and look at it with the engine running to see if it has collapsed on itself the pcv valve under the manifold has a small rubber bend hose on it could be faulty with so many symptoms you need to get it code scanned at ford as it could be that the ecu needs a upgraded programme independants cant tell you that so book it in it mite cost 70 quid but then youl;l know whats causing it
DMR
check ur battery and alternator seems odd ur battery light is coming on and it does have the symptoms of a knackered alternator, you can normally get this checked for free at some places, Wilcos does it free here but dunno where u r.

Other than that could be many things, code scan is your best bet or u end up throwing money at it

Full Colour Version: Engine Cuts Out :s
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615