Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where Do I Wire/ Tap In A Charger For Tom Tom Fixed Installation
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
tm221uk
Hi can anyone please help............

I have purchased a Brodit mounting sysytem for a Tom Tom. It has a fixed installation which needs to be wired to a 12v supply.

Can it be connected to the cigarette lighter in the centre console by soldering to the terminal underneath (black is earth?) yellow/orange live.

If it can will it permantly be on, or will it only flow when the tom tom is connected.

If it can be connected here...then please tell me where.

thanks for the help tm221uk
artscot79
[quote name='tm221uk' date='16 April 2010 - 07:30 PM' timestamp='1271442032' post='78080']
Hi can anyone please help............

I have purchased a Brodit mounting sysytem for a Tom Tom. It has a fixed installation which needs to be wired to a 12v supply.

Can it be connected to the cigarette lighter in the centre console by soldering to the terminal underneath (black is earth?) yellow/orange live.

If it can will it permantly be on, or will it only flow when the tom tom is connected.

If it can be connected here...then please tell me where.

thanks for the help tm221uk
[/quote]

by the sound of it youre asking to tap into a permenant 12v supply which the lighter is ide want it on a switched 12v supply so its only on with the ignition in position 1 and totally off with the ignition off the stereo has a switched supply you could also tap into the ignition if you know what youre doing on the lighter socket it will be on all the time as its a permenent live you could get around this by installing a switch also so you can manually switch it off so with what you have youre better plugging it into the cigarette lighter with the supplied plug youll get nothing out of it by trying to hard wire oither than you cant remove it
tm221uk
thanks for the reply....if I do hard wire it into the cigarette lighter will this drain the battery?

I wnat it to be fixed so I can hide all the cables
artscot79
[quote name='tm221uk' date='16 April 2010 - 07:53 PM' timestamp='1271443407' post='78083']
thanks for the reply....if I do hard wire it into the cigarette lighter will this drain the battery?

I wnat it to be fixed so I can hide all the cables
[/quote]

it will drain the battery you need to hard wire it into a switched feed not a permenant one so ide look at the stereo connections as youll need that out to get to the lighter anyway what year is the car
tm221uk
its 2008
mintalkin
the dock on its own should not drain the battery,if the tomtom is left in the dock overnight then it might, but the newer fords have a battery saver relay that cuts in after 45mins to stop the battery going flat if something is draining its power, also look at the fusebox diagram as some fords have two positions in the fusebox for the lighter fuse, one for permanant live and one for switched live.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615