Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interim Oil Change And Warranty Implications
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
top banana
Hi

My Focus is a 2008 model diesel. I purchased this in Jan this year.
The oil level is approx 3mm above the max level on the dipstick when engine cold.
If I was to purchase genuine ford oil / oil filter would there be any implications to warranty?
Reason asking every time you go into a dealership, you have to give reg details etc.....

Ta
top banana
Sorry forgot to mention, it has been like it since purchased. Its easy enough to get to oil drain plug underneath as far as i can see.
To be honest, may just drain oil and replace with leaving existing oil filter on it.
2 year service is due end September.
hawker
If its above the max when cold then it will go up even further when hot, so your running a risk here.
I would say that your air filter will be contaminated with some oil too if its as high as this. If the 2008 TDCi is similar to the 2006 1.6TDCi then there is a rubber breather hose from the rocker cover which allows oil to circulate down and back into the turbo. This hose spurs into the air filters main large corrugated rubber hose. If you check these hoses you will probably find thick deposits of oil. I was shocked to find this initially but apparently its normal. Overfilling will lead to more oil coming down here and contaminating the air filter though.

Just drain a little off. Turn the sump plug slowly until oil begins to leak out (leaving the plug in place) and tighten after you think enough has drained.

Having too much oil can be just as dangerous as not enough. The oil gets whipped up into a foam and wont lubricate properly, and it also builds up the pressure inside the engine and can lead to gaskets and seals going.
artscot79
[quote name='hawker' date='30 April 2010 - 01:43 PM' timestamp='1272630837' post='80076']
If its above the max when cold then it will go up even further when hot, so your running a risk here.
I would say that your air filter will be contaminated with some oil too if its as high as this. If the 2008 TDCi is similar to the 2006 1.6TDCi then there is a rubber breather hose from the rocker cover which allows oil to circulate down and back into the turbo. This hose spurs into the air filters main large corrugated rubber hose. If you check these hoses you will probably find thick deposits of oil. I was shocked to find this initially but apparently its normal. Overfilling will lead to more oil coming down here and contaminating the air filter though.

Just drain a little off. Turn the sump plug slowly until oil begins to leak out (leaving the plug in place) and tighten after you think enough has drained.

Having too much oil can be just as dangerous as not enough. The oil gets whipped up into a foam and wont lubricate properly, and it also builds up the pressure inside the engine and can lead to gaskets and seals going.
[/quote]

you will find all dealers slightly overfill up to 5mm is fine and will notr blow seals cause damage or get whipped into a foam its not filled enough for the oil to be up to the level of the camshaft to do that every dealer and garage will slightly overfill the oil if its overfilled by 5mm or more then drain some take it into ford and ask them theyll check it and send you on youre way
hawker
I would never have the oil above max, but a few mils is ok as you say art, but 5 mils or over would set the alarm bells off for me personally.

The dipstick has a min and max level for a reason. Anywhere between these 2 marks is where the oil level should be. Under or over, then act upon it.
artscot79
[quote name='hawker' date='02 May 2010 - 09:23 PM' timestamp='1272831199' post='80406']
I would never have the oil above max, but a few mils is ok as you say art, but 5 mils or over would set the alarm bells off for me personally.

The dipstick has a min and max level for a reason. Anywhere between these 2 marks is where the oil level should be. Under or over, then act upon it.
[/quote]

according to the ford manual at my own work the mechanics are allowed 5mm over the max level of the dipstick when the oils hot 3mm when its cold this is acceptable and will not cause damage 5mm when cold isnt as it will expand to 7mm over when hot so if its 3mm youre fine its standard practice for all garages to slightly overfill the oil
top banana
[quote name='artscot79' date='02 May 2010 - 09:42 PM' timestamp='1272835924' post='80420']
according to the ford manual at my own work the mechanics are allowed 5mm over the max level of the dipstick when the oils hot 3mm when its cold this is acceptable and will not cause damage 5mm when cold isnt as it will expand to 7mm over when hot so if its 3mm youre fine its standard practice for all garages to slightly overfill the oil
[/quote]
many thanks for your assistance all.
would say its around 3mm. Just above the 'max' you have the coning of the dipstick. its almost on the top of there.

tb

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.