Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which Cleaner Is Best To Be Poured Down In The Tank?
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
starfield
I currently have an issue with my vehicle which is under the 'delayed acceleration' topic. I am thinking of poring some cleaner down my tank, what cleaner works? What cleaner does the manufaturer recommends?
jeebowhite
[quote name='starfield' date='01 May 2010 - 07:53 PM' timestamp='1272739418' post='80252']
I currently have an issue with my vehicle which is under the 'delayed acceleration' topic. I am thinking of poring some cleaner down my tank, what cleaner works? What cleaner does the manufaturer recommends?
[/quote]

Technically they dont recommend any, as it invalidates any warranty that still stands. The best thing to do is treat the tank with "Redex", that will at least give the injectors a quick once over. It really depends on the state of the car overall, and how well serviced it is. as its a Mark 2, unless you have racked up around 80,000 miles, the redex will probably suffice.

Over the longer term, a good service may well come in handy, air, fuel and oil filters, oil, and spark/glow plugs (not sure if yours is P or D), and if it is diesel, and you have done a fair few amount of miles, you may need the DPF clearing through.

Can you give us more info on the car, Mileage, fuel type, age, trim, etc?
hillmangimp
Or try a couple of tanks of premium fuel such as BP ultimate or Shell V power as they have cleaning properties added to them.
starfield
ok here is the info:

the car is a petrol, 16k miles, 56 reg, zetec with climate and driven mainly urban.

I have read somewhere that redex creates lots of particulates, is that good for the cat?

Will buying premium petrol really help?
hillmangimp
[quote name='starfield' date='02 May 2010 - 10:44 AM' timestamp='1272792892' post='80304']
ok here is the info:

the car is a petrol, 16k miles, 56 reg, zetec with climate and driven mainly urban.

I have read somewhere that redex creates lots of particulates, is that good for the cat?

[/quote]

Hard to say if premium fuel or additives such as redex will help. If you think the problem may be due to dirt/contamination in the fuel system/injectors it may be worth a go before you take it to a mechanic.
jeebowhite
[quote name='starfield' date='02 May 2010 - 10:44 AM' timestamp='1272792892' post='80304']
ok here is the info:

[/quote]

To be fair, the age, and mileage of your vehicle would indicate its less likely to be "wear and tear", items like redex are ok, they do generate particles, but its no worse really than a tank of "unclean" fuel. Excessive use of redex possibly would cause damage over time, however as one off it wont cause any damage. Its always worth a try though, either a 6 bottle of redex, or a 50 diagnostics fee, which may then result in them using the equivelant of a bottle of 6 redex, and labour!

It may well be worth taking your spark plugs out and taking a look for any damage.

Has it always been this way, or has it degraded over time?
starfield
i just bought the vehicle a month ago and spark plugs have been changed. It has always been this way since i bought it.
jeebowhite
[quote name='starfield' date='02 May 2010 - 05:46 PM' timestamp='1272818208' post='80366']
i just bought the vehicle a month ago and spark plugs have been changed. It has always been this way since i bought it.
[/quote]
Use the pinned up topic at the top of the forum to check that there are no error codes, if theres nothing there try redex, and other than that you are probably going to have to go to a mechanic.
starfield
tried that and no DTC codes
jeebowhite
[quote name='starfield' date='03 May 2010 - 11:18 AM' timestamp='1272881307' post='80457']
tried that and no DTC codes
[/quote]

Have you tried the redex?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.