Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! Front Suspension Collapsed On 05 Mondeo
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Mondeo Club
stantheman1
Hi there,

Please help. My wife got in the car today and as she reversed off the driveway today and there was a loud scaping noise. I looked at the front offside and it has dropped completely (the scraping was obviously the tyre on the arch). When i looked through the wheel i could see a coil spring around the shock that appears to have broken. When looking through the good side wheel i cant see any coil around the shock at all.

Does it sound like the spring and/or shock has broken?? it seems that way to me but i know little about cars. It a 2005 2.2 ghix x tdci

any comments are appreciated.

andrew
stef123
[quote name='stantheman1' date='08 May 2010 - 03:17 PM' timestamp='1273327655' post='81180']
Hi there,

Please help. My wife got in the car today and as she reversed off the driveway today and there was a loud scaping noise. I looked at the front offside and it has dropped completely (the scraping was obviously the tyre on the arch). When i looked through the wheel i could see a coil spring around the shock that appears to have broken. When looking through the good side wheel i cant see any coil around the shock at all.

Does it sound like the spring and/or shock has broken?? it seems that way to me but i know little about cars. It a 2005 2.2 ghix x tdci

any comments are appreciated.

andrew
[/quote]

this is quite a common problem on alot of cars, the spring will have snapped. you will be glad you were not doing 70mph on the motorway...
Serge
Hi Andrew

As Stef123 says it's a very common problem, mainly due to the crap steel used by the manufacturers of Ford/Citroen/Vauxhall etc etc parts.

My offside went whilst the car, a V6 Mondeo with only 26000 miles on it, was sat on the driveway!
I had both sides replaced by a non Ford garage for about 220, the springs themselves are about 45

Serge
chris bowman
shock may well be ok. the pain is that garages will recommend that u change both sides!
stef123
[quote name='chris bowman' date='08 May 2010 - 06:16 PM' timestamp='1273338375' post='81221']
shock may well be ok. the pain is that garages will recommend that u change both sides!
[/quote]

thats got very good reason behind it though,

the springs have been on for the same length of time and when one goes usually the other follows behind it. and also fitting just one spring upsets the suspension geometry

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615