Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ford Zetec 1.6 1996 Idle Problem.
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > General Forums > Maintenance / Servicing / MOT Discussions
pestroy
Hi guys,

I am fresh out of ideas and am looking for anyone to help me with a diagnosis. I live in South Africa and to find information here is terrible. I currently own a 1996 Ford zetec 1.6 (the DOHC engine if that helps). When the engine is cold, i have to start it and let it warm up before i can drive away or else it stalls on me. I have replaced the idle control valve, the manifold gasket. It was mentioned to me that oil could be a factor so as recommended by ford i replaced the oil with a 5w oil, no difference, then i noticed that the car sounds like it was running on 3 cylinders so i checked the HT leads and notice that one of them was not connected correctly to the module(distributor) so i have cleaned the points in the module from calcium buid up and replaced the HT leads and surprise surprise still not difference. i have no idea where to go next and sick of spending cash on things that do not work, does anyone have any idea what my next step could be to solve the problem. oh and if it helps, it looks as if my shape and type of car is the ford orion???

Thanks

Derek
artscot79
[quote name='pestroy' date='11 May 2010 - 05:43 PM' timestamp='1273595595' post='81677']
Hi guys,

I am fresh out of ideas and am looking for anyone to help me with a diagnosis. I live in South Africa and to find information here is terrible. I currently own a 1996 Ford zetec 1.6 (the DOHC engine if that helps). When the engine is cold, i have to start it and let it warm up before i can drive away or else it stalls on me. I have replaced the idle control valve, the manifold gasket. It was mentioned to me that oil could be a factor so as recommended by ford i replaced the oil with a 5w oil, no difference, then i noticed that the car sounds like it was running on 3 cylinders so i checked the HT leads and notice that one of them was not connected correctly to the module(distributor) so i have cleaned the points in the module from calcium buid up and replaced the HT leads and surprise surprise still not difference. i have no idea where to go next and sick of spending cash on things that do not work, does anyone have any idea what my next step could be to solve the problem. oh and if it helps, it looks as if my shape and type of car is the ford orion???

Thanks

Derek
[/quote]

a dealers or ford mech is what you need it could be any one of a dozen sensors right through to the software needing upgraded to a fuel pump you will keep spending cash on things that dont work unless you get the exact cause diagnosed which i suspect would have cost less than doing all the stuff you already done but didnt work

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615