Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bonnet Relese
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Mondeo Club
bigbossowen
hi boys and girls i have a problem with my mk 3 bonnet the thing will unlock but will not release any ideas on how to get round this problem??? thanks ;)
mintalkin
its a common problem on the mk3 it could be just lack of lubricant or the plastic connector rod between lock and catch has stripped, first flood the lock with wd40 then as you turn the key to the left put some downward pressure on the bonnet(your arse is a good tool for this) just above the lock and hopefully the bonnet will open. the worse case is having to remove the lock barrell to gain access which involves nibbling away the plastic behind the ford badge so you can gain access to the sheer bolts which hold the lock in place. these will have to be drilled out with a 10mm drill and a new lock and bar fitted, good luck.
bigbossowen
[quote name='mintalkin' date='16 May 2010 - 08:36 AM' timestamp='1273998383' post='82074']
its a common problem on the mk3 it could be just lack of lubricant or the plastic connector rod between lock and catch has stripped, first flood the lock with wd40 then as you turn the key to the left put some downward pressure on the bonnet(your arse is a good tool for this) just above the lock and hopefully the bonnet will open. the worse case is having to remove the lock barrell to gain access which involves nibbling away the plastic behind the ford badge so you can gain access to the sheer bolts which hold the lock in place. these will have to be drilled out with a 10mm drill and a new lock and bar fitted, good luck.
[/quote]

hoo joy thanks for that i will have a go and see what happens :huh:
ponsaloti
As mintalkin says, flood the lock with wd40, the whole can if you have to but work and clean the key every 5 seconds.
bigbossowen
well I think its all packed up now the bonnet will not even open or release so any last ditch ideas????
ponsaloti
Call an autolocksmith for a quote.
I will fix it!
[quote name='bigbossowen' date='26 May 2010 - 07:05 PM' timestamp='1274900143' post='83249']
well I think its all packed up now the bonnet will not even open or release so any last ditch ideas????
[/quote]

You will have to drill out the lock and possibly bust the grille in the process, no option you have to replace these. WD40 will not give you a fix.
Sorry
bigbossowen
thanks boys i am going to a temped opening the bonnet by any means possible today so this could get messy wish me luck i will let you know how it goes
Craig A Clark
[quote name='bigbossowen' date='31 May 2010 - 08:51 AM' timestamp='1275291718' post='83720']
thanks boys i am going to a temped opening the bonnet by any means possible today so this could get messy wish me luck i will let you know how it goes
[/quote]

How did it go? I did wonder how entry would be gained if anything went awry as I have never had a car before that required key entry to the bonnet.

Cheers!
bigbossowen
its all done it a really easy job to do but not cheap.
it was the lock barrel that had packed up and this was 70 and then 20 to have it built to your key and 2 for the snap bolts and then a new grill but i was lucky with this and got one for 10 ebay i love you.
but the job is easy all you got to do is cut out the gill so you can see the bolt heads drill them out and once thats of you can pull plastic rod out and open it with a screwdriver.
Craig A Clark
[quote name='bigbossowen' date='19 June 2010 - 01:24 PM' timestamp='1276949691' post='85523']
its all done it a really easy job to do but not cheap.
it was the lock barrel that had packed up and this was 70 and then 20 to have it built to your key and 2 for the snap bolts and then a new grill but i was lucky with this and got one for 10 ebay i love you.
but the job is easy all you got to do is cut out the gill so you can see the bolt heads drill them out and once thats of you can pull plastic rod out and open it with a screwdriver.
[/quote]

What's the best and least messy preventative measure with this problem? Mine seems to operate fine and freely, but if there is a recommended lubricant that doesn't make a monster mess of the car and key?

Cheers!
mintalkin
personally i use a white grease designed for locks and hinges on the bonnet catch.
ponsaloti
Problem is if you oil or grease a lock, you atract dirt.
Personaly I wouldnt put anything in the lock apart from flushing it out with gt50 or something simular.

Full Colour Version: Bonnet Relese
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615