Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Redex...has It Done Harm To Anybody's Engine?
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
starfield
I have a ford focus 1.8 petrol, 56 reg. There is nothing wrong with the car but i would like to put some some redex in the tank with the hope of making it better. Hopefully i will get better response and better mpg.
Has anybody's engine suffered (or done good) as a result of using redex?
artscot79
[quote name='starfield' date='19 May 2010 - 09:29 AM' timestamp='1274257159' post='82435']
I have a ford focus 1.8 petrol, 56 reg. There is nothing wrong with the car but i would like to put some some redex in the tank with the hope of making it better. Hopefully i will get better response and better mpg.
Has anybody's engine suffered (or done good) as a result of using redex?
[/quote]

if youre worried go to ford and they will give you some cleaning treatment that they use alternatively let the tank get low and put sonme shell optimax in it has cleaning treatment in it a tenner should do the trick but only once in a while not all the time
InstructorPiggy
no to the evil redex!!!

Use Forte' fuel systems cleaner, should be availble from all reputable dealerships and general garages, very good stuff....

just please don't use Redex, heard horor stories to put me right off when i was in the trade!

Piggy :)
fiesta_lad
Ive heared forte is good just been looking on ebay for a bottle but i don't know if this will be ok for my fiesta 1.3i endure e engine petrol 51 plate. have a look anyway at this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORTE-ADVANCED-FUEL-CAR-PETROL-TREATMENT-BRAND-NEW-/130392764147?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e5c03aef3
wellzy
stuck some in my fiesta when i got (being a diesel) it chucked out some black smoke for a few days but wore off and did the job. stuck some redex petrol in my 4 stroke quad and it's never run proplery since. :angry:
fiesta_lad
[quote name='wellzy' date='19 May 2010 - 11:30 PM' timestamp='1274307628' post='82595']
stuck some in my fiesta when i got (being a diesel) it chucked out some black smoke for a few days but wore off and did the job. stuck some redex petrol in my 4 stroke quad and it's never run proplery since. :angry:
[/quote]

Give lucas fuel additive a try ive used it twice and you get great mpg and abit more power.

http://www.lucasoil.co.uk/products.php?page=products&subpage=product&product=10
BHort
[quote name='artscot79' date='19 May 2010 - 07:23 PM' timestamp='1274296403' post='82545']
if youre worried go to ford and they will give you some cleaning treatment that they use alternatively let the tank get low and put sonme shell optimax in it has cleaning treatment in it a tenner should do the trick but only once in a while not all the time
[/quote]

I agree with what your saying here,
I usually use between 10-20 Optimax a month when I can (it does seem to help) - and run my car on super unleaded - otherwise it starts to rattle a bit (sounds like the start of a knock/pink). Every time I put normal unleaded in it seems to run a bit rougher so I don't bother anymore. You can get fractionally more MPG and cut down deposits by using higher octane fuel better, as its a slightly cleaner burn. Although it will cost you more to run your car on SU, you'll notice the difference in the long run.

P.S. If you get your car serviced at a Ford dealership (Hartwell ford near me (Beds.) look after my car surprisingly well, where as camden used to botch my uncles Focus), they'll flush your engine with one of the top end service packages. It will cost a bit more to get it done at Ford but they have the right diagnostic equipment & if you have a FFSH with dealer stamps your car will be worth more when you come to sell/par-ex it anyway.

Regards
BenH
jay1981
Have tried a few fuel additives over the years, none of them seem to do anything... :(
Nug878
I've tried putting Redex into my Focus, twice actually. And in my opinion it didn't do anything. :huh:
starfield
what about v-power or bp ultimate. i have got that in my tank at the moment. I will tell you how it goes when i have used it up
artscot79
[quote name='starfield' date='24 May 2010 - 01:31 PM' timestamp='1274703694' post='82990']
what about v-power or bp ultimate. i have got that in my tank at the moment. I will tell you how it goes when i have used it up
[/quote]

i found my old passat ran a lot sweeter with v power and i got a few extra mpg from it so ide recommend v power
fiesta_lad
Ive ran me fiesta once on v-power must of mit did get better mpg and did take its time to go down from a full tank. but i don't know if it was cause by putting v-power but i could smell my cat more eggy smell.
artscot79
[quote name='fiesta_lad' date='24 May 2010 - 09:25 PM' timestamp='1274732132' post='83052']
Ive ran me fiesta once on v-power must of mit did get better mpg and did take its time to go down from a full tank. but i don't know if it was cause by putting v-power but i could smell my cat more eggy smell.
[/quote]

my old man said fords have always been known to give off a bit of a smell from the exhaust even back to the old ones
fiesta_lad
[quote name='artscot79' date='24 May 2010 - 09:36 PM' timestamp='1274732764' post='83055']
my old man said fords have always been known to give off a bit of a smell from the exhaust even back to the old ones
[/quote]

I must of mit i love the smell of old cars call me werid but it brings back the time of my first car my 92 clio.
wellzy
this is gona sound like a stupid question. is there just one one type of diesel? you know like you can get normal petrol or v-power petrol ect can you get different types of diesel?
fiesta_lad
[quote name='wellzy' date='25 May 2010 - 12:56 AM' timestamp='1274744812' post='83103']
this is gona sound like a stupid question. is there just one one type of diesel? you know like you can get normal petrol or v-power petrol ect can you get different types of diesel?
[/quote]

You can get shell v-power diesel.

http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/gbr/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/v_power_diesel_tpkg/
karld39
My mate swears by the stuff, It never seems to harm his engine, but i am yet to try it, you could always seek advice from ford first
starfield
[quote name='karld39' date='25 May 2010 - 08:27 AM' timestamp='1274775430' post='83115']
My mate swears by the stuff, It never seems to harm his engine, but i am yet to try it, you could always seek advice from ford first
[/quote]

does ford do a fuel system cleaner though
karld39
Only one way to find out ....
jeebowhite
Welzy, BP does a "Premium Diesel" which I have tried 10 of, and the MPG was bad, but, the engine did run rather smoothly, I only ran that 10 worth, and on town driving, One day soon I might try a full tank, but its expensive. Are all these redex replacement additives available off the shelf at your local garage / halfords?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615