Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Handbrake Release Button Problem
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
fordie67
Hello All,

I have a 2005 plate Focus (MK2), well the silver plastic handbrake release button has basically disintegrated. Well I have been told that all I need is a replacement plastic button from a ford dealers which I now have.

The question is it looks as though all I simply need to do is remove the black moulding which has the notches for the fingers. Does it simply slide off with a bit of "persuasion" with a hammer and block of wood or are there some hidden fixings which have to be removed first?

Thanks in advance of any help given.
artscot79
[quote name='fordie67' date='31 May 2010 - 05:01 PM' timestamp='1275321089' post='83768']
Hello All,

I have a 2005 plate Focus (MK2), well the silver plastic handbrake release button has basically disintegrated. Well I have been told that all I need is a replacement plastic button from a ford dealers which I now have.

The question is it looks as though all I simply need to do is remove the black moulding which has the notches for the fingers. Does it simply slide off with a bit of "persuasion" with a hammer and block of wood or are there some hidden fixings which have to be removed first?

Thanks in advance of any help given.
[/quote]

not sure about the mk2 but with the mk1 you had t cut the handle off which meant getting an aftermarket handle thatcould be screwed in place
fordie67
[quote name='artscot79' date='31 May 2010 - 05:18 PM' timestamp='1275322139' post='83771']
not sure about the mk2 but with the mk1 you had t cut the handle off which meant getting an aftermarket handle thatcould be screwed in place
[/quote]
Thanks for that artscot79 but have now found that all you have to do is remove the old button by breaking it up with a screwdiver or cutting it with a hacksaw and then removing it without breaking the little plastic barb clips on the handbrake mechanism. Once this is done the new one simply pushes on, just make that you push it squarely and that the longer edge of the button goes uppermost. It should go with a nice click once in place.
Takes about 10 minutes.
JDFocus
Hi

i have the same problem on my 05 focus, just wondering how much the button costs from the ford main dealer?

Kind Regards

JD
hillmangimp
I paid a fiver for the buttonm from my local Ford dealer about 18 months ago.
JDFocus
cheers mate will give that a go

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615