Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Instruments Playing Up
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
zev
Hi all,
This is my third post tonight. I've just parked my car up and when I turned the engine off both the needles on the fuel and temperature needle went back down to nil then seconds later jumped up to half way.I'm worried now that maybe I'm not getting a true reading on the fuel. Any tips or ideas folks.
zev
zev
Hi, I've since read on this forum that this is quite normal for fords. Well you maybe right because my temp and fuel gauge needles have gone back to normal, I reckon there must be gremlins in the system. So will have to see now how it goes .
Thanks guys
zev x
catch
[quote name='zev' date='08 July 2010 - 04:02 PM' timestamp='1278600760' post='87514']
Hi, I've since read on this forum that this is quite normal for fords. Well you maybe right because my temp and fuel gauge needles have gone back to normal, I reckon there must be gremlins in the system. So will have to see now how it goes .
Thanks guys
zev x
[/quote]

Yes I once had the fuel gauge on my Mk1 read empty one morning when I went to start it. There was me thinking I had had my fuel tank emptied. Went and popped some fuel in it and it was OK. Only happened the once in the four years I had it.
catch
received error message while posting, hence double post :unsure:
zev
Hi
,Well at least I dont have to worry about it now unless it gets any worse So fingers crossed. Cars are a pain in the backside but I would'nt be without one .
zev x
dezwez
mine did the same just disconected battery 15 mins never done it since :D
make sure you got radio code if you do it
zev
[quote name='dezwez' date='09 July 2010 - 05:16 PM' timestamp='1278695210' post='87661']
mine did the same just disconected battery 15 mins never done it since :D
make sure you got radio code if you do it
[/quote]

Thanks I will give that a go. Worth a try as its still doing it on and off.
zev
zev
[quote name='zev' date='10 July 2010 - 05:17 PM' timestamp='1278781672' post='87771']
Thanks I will give that a go. Worth a try as its still doing it on and off.
zev
[/quote]

Hi,
I tried taking the battery off but the temp and fuel gauge are still doing the same. I may have to take it to the mechanic to have a look, the fuel gauge apears to be registering the amount of fuel used but the temp gauge stays half way no matter how long I've been driving.
Thank you anyway
zev x
MACH999
Do any other members have any suggestions for items to check that might be the cause of the instruments periodically 'misbehaving'? My sone was told by a mechanic that the alternator was u/s and that the problem was caused by it producing an irregular output. I swapped the alternator last weekend with a replacement from the breaker's, and although initially it looked like it had fixed the problem it IS still there - although possibly just a little less frequent!

Is this the sort of issue that would be picked up by one of the computer diagnostic tests that garages can run? I don't have a problem with paying them to fix a genuine fault - but the experience from last week seems to suggest that they may have little more of an idea than I do as to what is wrong!
artscot79
Sounds like a cluster fault
btmaldon
If the cars are parked outside, it could just be the damp getting at the electrics. Because my cars are always garaged, I never have any electrical problems. (Just a thought).
MACH999
Thanks for your suggestions. I think I'll pursue the idea of some of the water displacing/waterproofing sprays - this might help. It is certainly fairly quick, easy and cheap to try. The idea of a cluster fault is disconcerting! NOT something that can easily be checked out unfortunately. I am still open to ideas to go onto the 'check list'

Thanks

Full Colour Version: Instruments Playing Up
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.