Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Whine Ford Focus Mk1
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
tomtech
Hi,

this is my first post so go easy on me please , i tryed looking through various searchs but couldent find anything so i was hoping there may be someone here who could offer some advice please. Basicly my ford focus has a whine in the power steering when moving very slowly such as parking or when staitionary , when moving the steering wheel right to left .. or left to right. Ive had it taken into 2 garages the first garage changed the power steering pump and fluid , however this did not cure the issue. It was then suggested to change the drive / serp belt which i have had done today at the 2nd garage they aslo lubricated a number of parts, however the whine is still there ... both garages have suggested the steering rack but are not sure as when they have test drove it they said it feels fine.

Ive noticed a couple of things in relation to the issue the first being it only does it when the engine is warm , it never whines of a cold start. Second ive noticed when it is whining if i turn the engine of it will still do it. AS i say thou both garages arent to sure they think its the rack but cant say for sure. Any feedback would be greatly apprecaited i feel like pulling my hair out :)

My car is a ford focus mk1 99 zetec 1.6 with ac
artscot79
[quote name='tomtech' date='20 July 2010 - 11:41 AM' timestamp='1279621917' post='89155']
Hi,

this is my first post so go easy on me please , i tryed looking through various searchs but couldent find anything so i was hoping there may be someone here who could offer some advice please. Basicly my ford focus has a whine in the power steering when moving very slowly such as parking or when staitionary , when moving the steering wheel right to left .. or left to right. Ive had it taken into 2 garages the first garage changed the power steering pump and fluid , however this did not cure the issue. It was then suggested to change the drive / serp belt which i have had done today at the 2nd garage they aslo lubricated a number of parts, however the whine is still there ... both garages have suggested the steering rack but are not sure as when they have test drove it they said it feels fine.

Ive noticed a couple of things in relation to the issue the first being it only does it when the engine is warm , it never whines of a cold start. Second ive noticed when it is whining if i turn the engine of it will still do it. AS i say thou both garages arent to sure they think its the rack but cant say for sure. Any feedback would be greatly apprecaited i feel like pulling my hair out :)

My car is a ford focus mk1 99 zetec 1.6 with ac
[/quote]

a slight whine is normal it is hydraulic and if you see any hydraulic machines they tend to haave a little whine you have aircon so it may not be the steering it could be the aircon unit listen to cars as they do full lock turns they all make a noise without knowing how loud the whine is its difficult to say if its normal or not with the car off the power steering is no longer turning so it wouldnt whine if in doubt take it to ford mate
tomtech
[quote name='artscot79' date='21 July 2010 - 03:30 PM' timestamp='1279725617' post='89307']
a slight whine is normal it is hydraulic and if you see any hydraulic machines they tend to haave a little whine you have aircon so it may not be the steering it could be the aircon unit listen to cars as they do full lock turns they all make a noise without knowing how loud the whine is its difficult to say if its normal or not with the car off the power steering is no longer turning so it wouldnt whine if in doubt take it to ford mate
[/quote]

the wine is very loud , the only way i can describe it is it sound like metal rubbing , ive noticed today as well my power steering fluid is black , and i only had it changed a couple of weeks ago when the new pump was fitted. Ive been quoted 260 to supply a new rack with fitting .... does this sound ok ?

Thanks for taking the time to reply appreciated
artscot79
[quote name='tomtech' date='21 July 2010 - 07:07 PM' timestamp='1279735054' post='89323']
the wine is very loud , the only way i can describe it is it sound like metal rubbing , ive noticed today as well my power steering fluid is black , and i only had it changed a couple of weeks ago when the new pump was fitted. Ive been quoted 260 to supply a new rack with fitting .... does this sound ok ?

Thanks for taking the time to reply appreciated
[/quote]

thats a good price mate
tomtech
[quote name='artscot79' date='21 July 2010 - 09:41 PM' timestamp='1279747887' post='89379']
thats a good price mate
[/quote]

again thanks for the reply , got the car booked in next week will post back how it goes :)

Full Colour Version: Steering Whine Ford Focus Mk1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.