Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: St170 Clutch/flywheel
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
Hayezy
Hi All,

bit of a newbie here, and not had a car for years, been using the 2 wheeled beasts instead.

Anyway, I've bought an ST170, had it a few months now and its been good, had it serviced before 37,500 miles. It was running like a dream, until I noticed that the clutch might be on its way out. I've had the usual tell tale signs, the clutch is biting right at the top, and the clutch pedal is higher than the brake pedal.

I was just going to replace the clutch (if it goes), and possibly the flywheel. The DMF are quite expensive and a friend of mine mentioned there might be a solid flywheel conversion kit.

Does anyone know if there is such a conversion kit?
artscot79
[quote name='Hayezy' date='21 July 2010 - 01:00 PM' timestamp='1279713036' post='89286']
Hi All,

bit of a newbie here, and not had a car for years, been using the 2 wheeled beasts instead.

Anyway, I've bought an ST170, had it a few months now and its been good, had it serviced before 37,500 miles. It was running like a dream, until I noticed that the clutch might be on its way out. I've had the usual tell tale signs, the clutch is biting right at the top, and the clutch pedal is higher than the brake pedal.

I was just going to replace the clutch (if it goes), and possibly the flywheel. The DMF are quite expensive and a friend of mine mentioned there might be a solid flywheel conversion kit.

Does anyone know if there is such a conversion kit?
[/quote]

hydraulic clutches do sit very high up and its not necessarily a sign of wear if the clutch isnt slipping then leave it well alone ive had cars with high bite points and they have lasted years with no clutch slip its just the way these hydraulic clutches are mate
zev
[quote name='artscot79' date='21 July 2010 - 01:17 PM' timestamp='1279717654' post='89289']
hydraulic clutches do sit very high up and its not necessarily a sign of wear if the clutch isnt slipping then leave it well alone ive had cars with high bite points and they have lasted years with no clutch slip its just the way these hydraulic clutches are mate
[/quote]

Hi, You will have to excuse me for maybe asking a silly question. How do you mean by slipping the clutch. I have a 2002 1.6 lx focus hatchback not the ST170. My clutch is also higher than the brake pedal.
zev :blink:
artscot79
[quote name='zev' date='21 July 2010 - 04:51 PM' timestamp='1279726873' post='89309']
Hi, You will have to excuse me for maybe asking a silly question. How do you mean by slipping the clutch. I have a 2002 1.6 lx focus hatchback not the ST170. My clutch is also higher than the brake pedal.
zev :blink:
[/quote]

a slipping clutch is when you accelerate and the revs rise but the speed does not this is a slipping clutch
zev
[quote name='artscot79' date='21 July 2010 - 09:40 PM' timestamp='1279747813' post='89378']
a slipping clutch is when you accelerate and the revs rise but the speed does not this is a slipping clutch
[/quote]

ah right well mines not slipping then. Thanks
zev x

Full Colour Version: St170 Clutch/flywheel
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615