Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adding Stereo Steering Wheel Remote
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
cressws1
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-FOCUS-MK1-2-STEREO-CONTROL-UNTIT-/250639491176?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a5b472068#ht_965wt_911

Would this be easy enough to fit and would the wiring already be installed in the loom as the Ghia's came with this and the Zetec's didnt. Like upgrading the alternate speed wiper stalk was a case of just fitting a different stalk. Is this the same or not worth bothering?

Always missed the steering wheel remote since I switched from my Astra to a Focus.
ford focus edge
Wont you need to drill a section of the plastics on the steering column out though and you would need all the wiring there for it to plug into (connector etc) not 100% sure it would be a straight fit if its not already in the car but what you could do it remove the plastics and see if theres anything there if thats possible.

I thought all focus's came with this as standard bar the boggo 1.4 cl

Mike
cressws1
These are all things im looking for answers to. Is it a standard steering wheel used for all the foci that just doesnt have the remote attatched? Ive had a look on t'interweb and cant seem a guide to doing it (like you can with most things ford)
ford focus edge
ive been looking for yonks for a guide to wire in heated seats to no avail so i get how fustrating it is! the steering wheel wont be any diff model to model unless ones leather and the other is not the coloumn shud be the same aswell i just thought it would be 1 wire leading to the pre-cut hole with the stalk pressed into it leading straight to the back of the stero.

Cant you get a diagram of the wires at the back of the stero to see if the cables there if not then personally id leave it if it is investigate more
artscot79
[quote name='ford focus edge' date='24 July 2010 - 09:45 AM' timestamp='1279960520' post='89779']
ive been looking for yonks for a guide to wire in heated seats to no avail so i get how fustrating it is! the steering wheel wont be any diff model to model unless ones leather and the other is not the coloumn shud be the same aswell i just thought it would be 1 wire leading to the pre-cut hole with the stalk pressed into it leading straight to the back of the stero.

Cant you get a diagram of the wires at the back of the stero to see if the cables there if not then personally id leave it if it is investigate more
[/quote]

its actually pretty simple you need the controls from a ghia model pull the stereo out you should have a hole for the cable like a phono jack plug the only annoying part is cutting the shroud however its easier to go to a scrappy and take that part with the cutout for the stalk in it off as welll the only thing you need is the plug for the controls on the back of the stereo or an aftermarket stereo that accepts wheel remotes running the wire is easy as well with the stereo out you can get youre hand in the back and with the controls taped top a piece of thick wire simply feed it from the shroud rounfd the back of the dash the seats are more complicated as the gm unit needs to have the programming for them from memory the wiring is pretty serious and requires the interior apart from dash stripped out and door panels removed from what i found its a really serious wiring job and not one ide do
cressws1
Ok So I've got hold of the remote itself and the bottom half of steering column with the hole.

1. Where is this wire thats aparently taped up? And is it as simple as plug one end into the remote and the other into the adapter for my sony head unit?
2. Wheres the cheapest place to get the adapter i need?
cressws1
An update.

Fitted the remote and bottom shroud, Looks great. Also located the extra cable behind the stereo for the remote which was wrapped in fords sticky backed foam crap.

Now then, How do I know for sure whether my head unit is "steering wheel remote compatible". A friend reckons that it will be as most sony units made within the last 4 years are. But I dont want to spend more money on the stalk adapter if its not going to work. I know I should have probably have checked this before spending 15 quid on the remote and shroud but you know how it is when you get an idea!
artscot79
[quote name='cressws1' date='23 August 2010 - 02:33 PM' timestamp='1282569799' post='94307']
An update.

Fitted the remote and bottom shroud, Looks great. Also located the extra cable behind the stereo for the remote which was wrapped in fords sticky backed foam crap.

Now then, How do I know for sure whether my head unit is "steering wheel remote compatible". A friend reckons that it will be as most sony units made within the last 4 years are. But I dont want to spend more money on the stalk adapter if its not going to work. I know I should have probably have checked this before spending 15 quid on the remote and shroud but you know how it is when you get an idea!
[/quote]

there will be an bit on the back of the stereo to plug the thing in otherwise calkl the sony helpline or check the manual most sony arte compatible
cressws1
Ok Can't find a decent number to get hold of Sony on. Here's a snap of the back of my head unit. I dont think theres anywhere for it to plug into (looking at the back of another head unit which i know is compatible that has a "headphone style" port on the back where the remote plugs in)
artscot79
it doesnt have the input so youre correct mate its not compatible though on the good side should you change it you have everything there now i took mine off didnt like it found it got in my way i like the whole wheel in my hand i hate the fact it gets in my road so it got taken out and binned and to be honest i can get to my stereo really easily and just in case it has a remote of its own so wheel controils werent really necessary
cressws1
Ok, An update.

I have a remote compatible stereo now, Ive bought the extra leads etc. Its all connected up but the steering wheel remote doesnt work. HELP!
cressws1
Ive sorted this. I hadn't erm... Plugged the remote in :D
slowcamel123
[quote name='cressws1' timestamp='1283535223' post='95855']
Ive sorted this. I hadn't erm... Plugged the remote in :D
[/quote]

Has anybody here tried retrofitting a stereo steering remote on a Mk2 Focus which comes with a pre-installed stock Ford 6000 double din CD player only?
irl-06lx
removed accidental post
irl-06lx
Snap a photo Of the back of the stereo. If it's the 600CD the same as mine then it's not very difficult in relation to connecting the stereo. Not sure what wires would already be there or which you'd need to buy though

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615