Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.6 Tdci Fuel Economy
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
Pages: 1, 2
SteveTDCI
I have a 2010 Titanium 1.6 TDCI 109 DPF.

Trouble is the fuel economy Im getting on the trip doesnt seem quite right, at best I can get 46-47mpg(driving like a snail) and everyday driving keeping up with normal traffic its like 38mpg.

I do admit most of this driving is around town 30-50 mph but surely it should be atleast 50mpg? I have checked all the tyre pressures and they are ok, its currently done 1700miles and has loosened up quite alot but the economy if anything has got slightly worse since new.

I hear the ford trips over read by about 5mpg if thats the case then something is definatley wrong, does anyone else experience similar problems with the 1.6 TDCI and can anyone give me their current MPG so I can compare?

Cheers
catch
[quote name='SteveTDCI' date='26 July 2010 - 10:55 AM' timestamp='1280137530' post='90022']

Trouble is the fuel economy Im getting on the trip doesnt seem quite right, at best I can get 46-47mpg(driving like a snail) and everyday driving keeping up with normal traffic its like 38mpg.

I do admit most of this driving is around town 30-50 mph but surely it should be atleast 50mpg? I have checked all the tyre pressures and they are ok, its currently done 1700miles and has loosened up quite alot but the economy if anything has got slightly worse since new.

I hear the ford trips over read by about 5mpg if thats the case then something is definatley wrong, does anyone else experience similar problems with the 1.6 TDCI and can anyone give me their current MPG so I can compare?

Cheers
[/quote]

Hi Steve, first off though I have a petrol 1.6, I can tell you that I find the trip computer to be fairly accurate. I do brim checks and it is never out by more than 1 mpg on the trip. OK the speedo reads about 74 mph when my sat nav records it at 70, so yes that is out.But that's another story, they can read over but not under where speed is concerned, for obvious reasons.

I like you get nothing like official figures, but when you consider how they arrive at those figures you will understand why.[url="http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11781&st=0&p=76783&fromsearch=1&#entry76783"]SEE HERE [/url]I did a post on it.
catch
I had a Volvo S40 2.0D SE for nine months, same engine as in the Focus 2.0 TDCi. I covered 5100 miles in that time,circa 1500 of which were motorway miles. I liked to cruise @ 70/75 mpg when on them. Another 1000 A/B road touring on holidays. With the rest being mixed between town and normal diving, to say nearby towns being on average 10 miles away. And I averaged 40.42mpg when official figures are 37.2 58.9 48.7

But assuming it had completed a full 12 month mileage cycle, with no more holidays included. I reckon it would have worked out at an average at 38.22mpg.

My current 1.6 petrol is returning 32 mpg on average, I did achieve 35.05 on a touring holiday to Cornwall which included circa 800 motorway or dual carriageway roads, out of a total trip 1100 miles. Best I ever achieved [monitored] was 42.7 mpg at an average speed of 34 mph on a 31 mile round trip on mostly A roads, and through 2 small town centres. Official figures being 32.5 51.4 42.2 That latter monitored comparison was as near as you could get in driving profile, to the official Combined Fuel Consumption cycle. So in that sense, achieving 0.5 mpg more than the official Combined Cycle, proves those official figures can be achieved. It was snowing at the time but the roads were clear and gritted, and I was taking a 80+ year old relative home at the time.In other words I was driving like a Saint chauffeuring the Pope around on official business. :D

Obviously neither comparisons are the 1.6 TDCi. But are relevant in that they prove very few drivers will continue on a regular basis to fit the driving profile needed to match the official consumption figures.

At the end of the day it's type of miles covered, time of day miles are covered, and the driving style of the person sat behind the wheel.
artscot79
[quote name='catch' date='26 July 2010 - 01:12 PM' timestamp='1280145749' post='90033']
I had a Volvo S40 2.0D SE for nine months, same engine as in the Focus 2.0 TDCi. I covered 5100 miles in that time,circa 1500 of which were motorway miles. I liked to cruise @ 70/75 mpg when on them. Another 1000 A/B road touring on holidays. With the rest being mixed between town and normal diving, to say nearby towns being on average 10 miles away. And I averaged 40.42mpg when official figures are 37.2 58.9 48.7

But assuming it had completed a full 12 month mileage cycle, with no more holidays included. I reckon it would have worked out at an average at 38.22mpg.

My current 1.6 petrol is returning 32 mpg on average, I did achieve 35.05 on a touring holiday to Cornwall which included circa 800 motorway or dual carriageway roads, out of a total trip 1100 miles. Best I ever achieved [monitored] was 42.7 mpg at an average speed of 34 mph on a 31 mile round trip on mostly A roads, and through 2 small town centres. Official figures being 32.5 51.4 42.2 That latter monitored comparison was as near as you could get in driving profile, to the official Combined Fuel Consumption cycle.

So in that sense, achieving 0.5 mpg more than the official Combined Cycle, proves those official figures can be achieved.

Obviously neither comparisons are the 1.6 TDCi. But are relevant in that they prove very few drivers will continue on a regular basis to fit the driving profile needed to match the official consumption figures.
[/quote]

assaid many times before you have been caught out by the diesel myth that it will do 50mpg at worst well sorry to say they dont youre mpg is about right diesels are mile munchers and not town cars so figures in town are poor fact most petrols now will easily beat a diesel in town they are mile munchers for cruising along motorways basically in town youre using most of the revs just to get moving then to stop at lights etc etc

At the end of the day it's type of miles covered, time of day miles are covered, and the driving style of the person sat behind the wheel.
catch
[quote name='artscot79' date='26 July 2010 - 01:17 PM' timestamp='1280146069' post='90034']

[/quote]

I said that :D

But your right artscot, how many times do we see these posts. But it's understandable that posts like these are posted, because most peeps myself included [once upon a time] expected to achieve somewhere near those official figures. But once you actually look into how they are arrive at, all is revealed.

Maybe a more informative way of presenting a range of Driving Profile consumption figures would be better. But it would be messy to present in adverts. And to be honest today we live in a society in a rush, where most people want one line answers to every query. Fact is there is so much data retrievable with the advent of computers, but confronted with so much data most people cannot be arsed reading it........nodoubt some of my posts being a prime example of that fact. :D

That said, it will be interesting to see some figures come in on this thread relevant to the OP's opening query. So come on you 1.6 TDCi owners, lets have some figures.
artscot79
[quote name='catch' date='26 July 2010 - 01:33 PM' timestamp='1280146993' post='90036']
I said that :D

But your right artscot, how many times do we see these posts. But it's understandable that posts like these are posted, because most peeps myself included [once upon a time] expected to achieve somewhere near those official figures. But once you actually look into how they are arrive at, all is revealed.

Maybe a more informative way of presenting a range of Driving Profile consumption figures would be better. But it would be messy to present in adverts. And to be honest today we live in a society in a rush, where most people want one line answers to every query. Fact is there is so much data retrievable with the advent of computers, but confronted with so much data most people cannot be arsed reading it........nodoubt some of my posts being a prime example of that fact. :D

That said, it will be interesting to see some figures come in on this thread relevant to the OP's opening query. So come on you 1.6 TDCi owners, lets have some figures.
[/quote]

you did indeed say that mate and were spot on many factors influence the outcome and again youre right how many posts do we see, fact is like everyone i once to thought if i had a diesel ide see big miles till i understood how they work it out i think the problem is down to understanding there are millions who believe this myth about diesels but dont do there homework, the amount of small petrol engines that can do 50-70mpg around town now is huge making a diesel look archane.

i think people need to understand if youre 80 percent of the time driving in town a diesel is not the right choice of car if its 50/50 town/motorway sure a diesel is a great bet to save some cash youll get good mpg.

people need to remember the prius was qouted as 70mpg plus top gear tested it and barely got 46mpg out of it and a vw polo diesel gave better mpg in town than the prius yet the myth is the prius is better as it will go further on fuel misinformation from companies simply to take advantage and sell cars nothing less nothing more.

sadly so many peolpe now realise a diesel isnt saving them cash its eating diesel around town diesel is higher price than petrol sure you make savings on tax but do you? with so many petrols now free or 35 quid a year you dont save anything in reality it will be interesting to see the figures however we must remember some will be better than others if 1 guy is driving to work going up hills the other drives on a flattish road the one going up the hills will have poorer mpg even air temp can effect mpg so its going to vary quite a bit i think.
hawker
I have a 1.6 TDCi and my ACTUAL mpg (very conservative driving, 70% dual carriage ways) is 45MPG.
The trip computer normally reads +3MPG.

Do you find hesitation at times when accelerating, or perhaps it doesnt seem to accelerate quite as good as you think it should? If so, I would strongly advise to check your intercooler hoses for a split. Mine was split badly, and after I had it changed, the computer usually reads about 54MPG, so its probably doing about 50MPG in reality.

They changed the design of the main intercooler hose from a concertina rubber top with hose clip connector to a solid hose. The vibration of the engine was causing the hose clip to eventually cut through the rubber. Get them checked out asap if i were you.
Wibbly
I have a 59 1.6 TDCi (110 with DPF). I was until recently driving 75 miles to work, mainly motorway, and in one direction during light traffic. Motorway speed around 65 most of the time. Other direction (and weekend driving) was a bit of a lottery traffic and journey length/type. I was averaging 59 mpg (from Nov 09/July 10 using 41 tanks of fuel) starting with 37 miles on the clock, now 21K. This is based on total mileage and actual fuel put in the tank. Not sure it makes any difference, but I've used standard Shell diesel all this time.

I have also compared actual (fill up to fill up) vs computer MPG figures over this time. I find the computer around 2% - 3% optimistic in general. My driving style to relieve the boredom has been to try and get the highest computer mpg (resetting each fill up) consistent with maintaining good progress (so choosing not to cruise at 70+ mph for example, lifting off the throttle whenever possible, etc). In general I feel this is about driving smoothly/gently rather than try to keep my speed down. So drive without excessive acceleration and as if the brakes aren't working will get you into the style of driving I use. But I stress I don't take this to the point where I feel I'm holding other road users back or annoying them...
catch
[quote name='Wibbly' date='26 July 2010 - 03:12 PM' timestamp='1280152949' post='90051']
I have a 59 1.6 TDCi (110 with DPF). I was until recently driving 75 miles to work, mainly motorway, and in one direction during light traffic. Motorway speed around 65 most of the time. Other direction (and weekend driving) was a bit of a lottery traffic and journey length/type. I was averaging 59 mpg (from Nov 09/July 10 using 41 tanks of fuel) starting with 37 miles on the clock, now 21K. This is based on total mileage and actual fuel put in the tank. Not sure it makes any difference, but I've used standard Shell diesel all this time.[/quote]

Right car for the job in your case, 21k in eight months mostly motorway

[quote]My driving style to relieve the boredom has been to try and get the highest computer mpg (resetting each fill up) consistent with maintaining good progress[/quote] I used to love seeing how much I could get out of it with the instantaneous mpg readout I had on my S40

[quote][so choosing not to cruise at 70+ mph for example, lifting off the throttle whenever possible, etc]. In general I feel this is about driving smoothly/gently rather than try to keep my speed down. So drive without excessive acceleration and as if the brakes aren't working will get you into the style of driving I use. But I stress I don't take this to the point where I feel I'm holding other road users back or annoying them...
[/quote]

All excellent tips, I chuckle when I see inexperienced young bucks powering into a roundabout junction, only to have to get shut of all that power, on their brake pads. Then you see them on forums...yer I need some new disks and pads on the front, I've done 20K......Myself I don't hang about, I like to exit corners faster than I enter them. But I see having to brake other than for stopping at a stop sign, as me not reading the road properly.

And I must be honest coming from the 2.0 turbo diesel down to a 1.6 petrol, I'm acting more my age now. It's not doing my street creed any good, when the wifes stopped using those imaginary brake pedals in the front passenger foot well. There again, maybe it's just a case of them not being standard kit in a 1.6 :D
kevin lancelott
Hi focus owners.I have got the fiesta 1.6 tdci and I am getting 46 mpg.I used to have the 1.4 petrol and that did 35.5 mpg.I have only had the car for two weeks and its only got 1400 miles on it so I am wondering if it will climb a bit when the engine loosens up a bit. :D
Wibbly
Think I read somewhere that it takes about 10K for an engine to fully run in/loosen up, and all other things equal the consumption should get better. But other influences may override that - like driving style changes, changes to the weather, the kind of routes and journeys you're taking, etc...
SteveTDCI
Well thanks for the replies guys.

Diesels are just a preference of mine, had a 2010 1.6 petrol whilst mine was getting parking sensors fitted(no i dont need them!) and I thought it was really horrible compared to mine.

My previous car was a 1.3cdti astra which should in theory be less economical than the focus but 20 seemed to get me alot further even when diesel was more expensive and I wasnt gentle with that thing.

When Im trying to get good MPG figures I drive like an absolute grannie, very light on the throttle, freewheeling in gear, slowing down early at lights to prevent the need to stop and re-accelerate.

Im not disappointed in the car because in every other department it is fantastic but you just expect the figures to be alittle better around town.

Having said that I once conducted a test driving the full length of the M57 and got 78mpg so I suppose your right in that 60mph+ is were a diesel wants to be.

Cheers all

and the rest of you 1.6tdci owners post ye figures!
herbie_flowers
When I worked in Ellesmere Port my weekly commute was just over 600 miles. As I was able to claim a mileage allowance the amount I was able to claim back was just enough to fill the tank. I adjusted my driving style so the commute didn't cost me anything but I still drove at the legal limits. 75% of my journey was on 'A' roads, mainly the A41, the rest was dual carrigeway/motorway and there were some 20 odd roundabouts to negotiate each way as well. According to the trip computer I was getting mid to high 50's but depending on traffic low 60's was possible.
My new commute is to Gloucester and, depending on which way I go, nearly 100% of my journey will be on the motorway albeit 20 odd miles further than if I use the A442. I'll post my mpg results after a week of each commute as I will need to know myself as I can't claim the allowance anymore.
true grit
[quote name='SteveTDCI' date='26 July 2010 - 09:55 AM' timestamp='1280137530' post='90022']

Cheers
[/quote]
true grit
I have a56 plate 1.6 tdci estate and around town (I work 3 shifts) I get no less than 50 to the gallon normally 52, on a long run of 100 miles or more at speed limits with a car full of kids and camping stuff I do 60ish but once coming back from Wales on winding roads I had her reading 72 mpg I have filled up and worked out the mpg and apart from the Wales one can confirm the other 2 readings.
Before this we had a petrol 1.2 punto and at best this would do 48mpg on a run.
So I would say that diesel for me is better with a bigger car and more mpg.
rubbercorn
hi, been reading this thred with interest. I have a 50,000k focus estate 1.6tdci, ffsh, not been abused and no matter how I drive it (and

[quote name='SteveTDCI' date='26 July 2010 - 09:55 AM' timestamp='1280137530' post='90022']

Cheers
[/quote]
catch
[quote name='rubbercorn' date='09 September 2010 - 06:50 PM' timestamp='1284054042' post='96656']
hi, been reading this thred with interest. I have a 50,000k focus estate 1.6tdci, ffsh, not been abused and no matter how I drive it (and
[/quote]

And ? ........................the wife suddenly shouted down that you were needed urgently in the bedroom..... :ph34r:
rubbercorn
Ooops, wrong button.
I have driven my 50k, 2006 1.6 tdci estate very economically over a period of about 8 months and no matter how careful with the throttle I am, I can only achieve 39-43 mpg, including a couple of motorway trips where I did occasionaly hit 80-85mph. I have spent days hardly touching the throttle, and am a little dissappointed with this aspect of the car, everything else has impressed me for a 1.6 diesel and apart from having to get the passenger to apply the handbrake and the satnav/radio that picks the channels for your whether you like it or not, i really like the car and actually enjoy driving it (i should get out more !). One strange thing though, each time I do an oil change, every 5/6 months, there is more fluid than I put in ! I suspected this after the first service, so for the past two oil changes I have made sure of the reading and amount of oil going in. Is there anyway that diesel (or anything else) can be getting into my oil, maybe coming past the pistons, sounds crazy,but over a period of 6 months or so, the reading on the stick is past the end of the plastic and I made a point of not filling it to the max last time. Any ideas anyone ? (havent been to a garage as car drives perfect, doesnt smoke, seems to have enough power etc)

Adam
catch
It could be something to do with the DPF regeneration process. There is a thread 39 pages long on the Volvo forum [remember Volvo was a Ford owned company prior to being bought out by the Chinese recently, and as a result shared technology and engines]

Quote the opening post:- [quote]I've just received a recall letter, describing that with DPFs, under some driving conditions 'engine oil levels may rise'. The recall is to check the oil level + a software update. According to my letter, it affects S60/V70/XC70 & XC90, 2006 to 2009.

When they say 'oil level may rise', I assume they actually mean 'fuel may enter the sump', which I think I've read about elsewhere with DPFs.

Anybody know what it's all about? Is it some bodge to try and paper over the cracks in DPF technology, or is it a worthwhile improvement?[/quote]

[url="http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=95323&highlight=oil+level+increases"]Heres a link to the thread[/url]
APJ

Cheers
[/quote]

Found this thread on MPG very interesting, and i also posted a new thread concerning MPG on my Ford yesterday.

Ive just bought a 2005 2.0TDCI (136BHP) Focus Titanium saloon. I am currently averaging between 46 and 47.2 MPG. I do a 10.7 mile journey twice a day most of that is on an A road (where i probably average 50mph and about 2.5 miles is through a town (where i probably average about 25mph). Am currently happy with this MPG as my last car did about half that! Ive yet to try it out on a long motorway trip but id hope that figure rises to above 55MPG.

As ive only just bought the car im currently trying to train the engine to my style of driving as im not 100% sure how it was driven before i got it. It was used as a family car and everything seems in very good condition so i dont think its been 'raggged'.

Can i ask what type of things have you tried to get better MPG out of it? have you tried obvious things like resetting the fuel counter before a trip? decoking it? adding Millers Diesel Power Ecomax One Shot Boost (http://www.millersoils.net/1_Millers_frame_AUTO_RETAIL.htm) etc? You're MPG does seem a little low. And Artscot79 is right about diesels, they much prefer a longer run out on duel carridge ways and motorway rather than around town..but you should still be able to get over 45MPG i would of thought. Although im new to the world of diesels so what do i know!
catch
I had a Volvo S40 2.0D SE for 9 months, it shares the same TDCi engine as the Focus. During that time it went on two touring holidays one to Dorset and one to Devon travelling in both instances from North Yorkshire. I averaged 44.05mpg over both trips, averaging 75mph on the motorways.During Urban driving, mostly short in town journeys it achieved 38.50mpg, bear in mind the Volvo S40 is 8.19% heavier than the Focus.

I sold it because for 50 weeks of the year it was used for mostly short in town journeys. Long story why we bought the Volvo, a wife thing so say no more, nice car mind with plenty poke like the 2.00TDCi Focus.

If I was concerned about anything it would be the possible effects of having a DPF model [you may not have one] As I intimated in my earlier post on this thread, when the poster raised concerns about oil levels. There are reports of models with DPF's fitted diluting the engine oil, now that would concern me.

[b]In fact I think it merits a thread on it's own, [url="http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15275"]so I have raised one[/url][/b].
will86
[quote name='rubbercorn' date='09 September 2010 - 07:13 PM' timestamp='1284055386' post='96667']
Ooops, wrong button.
I have driven my 50k, 2006 1.6 tdci estate very economically over a period of about 8 months and no matter how careful with the throttle I am, I can only achieve 39-43 mpg, including a couple of motorway trips where I did occasionaly hit 80-85mph. I have spent days hardly touching the throttle, and am a little dissappointed with this aspect of the car, everything else has impressed me for a 1.6 diesel and apart from having to get the passenger to apply the handbrake and the satnav/radio that picks the channels for your whether you like it or not, i really like the car and actually enjoy driving it (i should get out more !). One strange thing though, each time I do an oil change, every 5/6 months, there is more fluid than I put in ! I suspected this after the first service, so for the past two oil changes I have made sure of the reading and amount of oil going in. Is there anyway that diesel (or anything else) can be getting into my oil, maybe coming past the pistons, sounds crazy,but over a period of 6 months or so, the reading on the stick is past the end of the plastic and I made a point of not filling it to the max last time. Any ideas anyone ? (havent been to a garage as car drives perfect, doesnt smoke, seems to have enough power etc)

Adam
[/quote]

I have had similar problems with my Sat Nav picking whatever radio station it wants, but it only seems to happen in certain places (I have the advanced navigation system in the facelifted model - not touch screen). As far as fuel economy is concerned, I do about 15k a year and over the last year averaged 59.5mpg, which is actually slightly more than the computer says. Always found the trip to be pretty accurate. My driving is very varied, I regularly drive into London so do stints on the motorway and then crawling through London traffic, so I'm very pleased with the economy. Long runs to Wales plus all the hills results in 65mpg, and if I really try (56mph), 74mpg on the motorway is just possible. Funny you should mention the oil consumption (or lack of it), for the first time, mine seems to have used a tiny bit of oil (its on 31600 miles) but the oil level is always right at the top of the plastic bit on the end of the dipstick. Could the increase in oil level be due to engine temperature and oil settling back down?
SteveTDCI
[quote name='APJ' date='10 September 2010 - 08:43 AM' timestamp='1284107589' post='96726']
Found this thread on MPG very interesting, and i also posted a new thread concerning MPG on my Ford yesterday.

Ive just bought a 2005 2.0TDCI (136BHP) Focus Titanium saloon. I am currently averaging between 46 and 47.2 MPG. I do a 10.7 mile journey twice a day most of that is on an A road (where i probably average 50mph and about 2.5 miles is through a town (where i probably average about 25mph). Am currently happy with this MPG as my last car did about half that! Ive yet to try it out on a long motorway trip but id hope that figure rises to above 55MPG.

As ive only just bought the car im currently trying to train the engine to my style of driving as im not 100% sure how it was driven before i got it. It was used as a family car and everything seems in very good condition so i dont think its been 'raggged'.

Can i ask what type of things have you tried to get better MPG out of it? have you tried obvious things like resetting the fuel counter before a trip? decoking it? adding Millers Diesel Power Ecomax One Shot Boost (http://www.millersoils.net/1_Millers_frame_AUTO_RETAIL.htm) etc? You're MPG does seem a little low. And Artscot79 is right about diesels, they much prefer a longer run out on duel carridge ways and motorway rather than around town..but you should still be able to get over 45MPG i would of thought. Although im new to the world of diesels so what do i know!
[/quote]

Hi mate, I can report on this subject a little more now, I recently completed a 400 mile round trip to Hampshire from Merseyside. Heading down there I used the aircon all the way down the M6 at 65 to 75mph then all the way back I gave it the beans and spent 90% of the time over 80mph in the outside lane with the aircon occasionally being on. I averaged 55.8mpg which I'm completely pleased with.

Now I havent used any additives yet with the car being so new but I do try various driving techniques to aid MPG. The best thing you can do without a doubt is to allow the car to roll to junctions,roundabouts and traffic lights in gear. Even going down a hill just stick it in an appropriate gear and take your foot off the accelerator. This to me has made the biggest impact. Also try and be very sensitive on the gas, pressing the pedal half way down as apposed to lightly touching it to maintain speed makes another big difference. Apart from that its all the usual stuff like tyre pressures and windows closed at high speed etc.

What baffles me more than anything is that I used to have a 96 fiesta 1.8d with like 60bhp, it was slow and noisy but no matter how much you abused it you wouldn't get it lower than 50mpg, why are all these modern common rail diesel engines developed by multi world renowned manufactures such as BMW and PSA failing to get anything near their quoted figures? I just read an article on this particular engine in the Volvo V70 Driv-E and the author claims he got 65mpg driving 800mls from somewere in Italy to somewere in the UK(cant remember exactly were).
Preload
I have the same car and find running it around 1800-2000rpm around town gives the best MPG dont run the motor out of the turbo boost zone. I do mostly A-B Road with MWays once a week and get 50mpg on average (calculated).
billybjo
I have a Focus 2.0 TDCi Powershift 2010. I haven't had it long but around town I'm getting approx 44mpg av (as per computer) and on motorway journies 49-50mpg (again as per computer). I travel at 75-80 on motorway. I haven't done accurate brim tests yet. I've had diesels for a long time so I am under no illusion about real world figures.
Of course if you stick at 60-65mph on the motorway and feather it up/down you "may" get the official figures, but don't be fooled by the marketing.
catch
again giving the petrol 1.6 99bhp comparison:-

Just done 547 miles Maidstone in Kent from North Yorkshire, down one day back the next. 90 mile cross country to get on the A1 at Boston Spa. A14, M11, North Circular[had Sat Nav set to avoid Tolls] with a stop off at relatives in Strood Rochester, then onto Maidstone. Came back M2/A2 M25 Dartford Tunnel [1.50 Toll] M11/A1 etc. Four adults up, and doing the speed limits or a tad over. Computer recorded 39.40 mpg, but brim test proved 37.55mpg. The comp also recorded average speed at 49mph.

Comp was 2.64% over estimating mpg on a previous 1000+ holiday, and on this 500+ journey it was over estimating mpg by 4.70% Funny that, as I would have thought any over read percentage would be the same, not varying the percentage out by nigh on 100% between the two

Now just as a time comparison regards going M11, North Circular, through No Toll Tunnel, as against M11, M25, Toll Tunnel:- I know exactly how long the M11 Services to Strood journey took via the North Circular. As I had a phone call just as we were about to leave the Services, asking how long we would be. Sat Nav said an hour arriving at 11.50am and we did it in 59 minutes, 54.8 miles. With no hold ups at all other than traffic lights. Just looking now on Google Maps journey planner going the Toll Route it has it down as taking 51 minutes 46.4 miles. When we came back that way traffic was slowed due to road works so I reckon in real time there would not have been 5 minutes difference in both routes.
jig
[quote name='Preload' date='24 September 2010 - 08:02 AM' timestamp='1285314752' post='98512']
I have the same car and find running it around 1800-2000rpm around town gives the best MPG dont run the motor out of the turbo boost zone. I do mostly A-B Road with MWays once a week and get 50mpg on average (calculated).
[/quote]

This seems to be suggested by a few people,to keep the turbo on boost for economy. If you're boosting then you are forcing more air in and in turn more fuel so how is this economical?
true grit

Cheers
[/quote]
I have a 56 plate Focus Zetec estate I work shifts so its used in all weathers and times of the day I live in a busy town not a city. My Focus has never dipped below 50 mpg around here and on runs I can get 58-62mpg at normal motor way driving and once on a long run I got 70 mpg (which I worked out to make sure ).
Preload
[quote name='jig' date='26 September 2010 - 07:25 AM' timestamp='1285481714' post='98685']
This seems to be suggested by a few people,to keep the turbo on boost for economy. If you're boosting then you are forcing more air in and in turn more fuel so how is this economical?
[/quote]

Forcing in more air not necessarily more fuel.

Turbo engines are designed to take the high pressure turbo's can make but running outside of the boost area the compression is very low and produces a lot less power so to move the car it wastes fuel.

Most turbo engines are designed for power but they can be used for economy as well.
mross
I agree with Jig, actually if more air is forced into the combustion chamber (via a turbo charger)then more fuel is also added to compensate otherwise the engine would be running lean and not very efficient at all, the cars ECU pumps in the exact right amount of fuel for the amount of air being pushed in by a turbo, numerous sensors are transmitting data to the cars brain (ECU) all the time. The ECU is constantly adjusting the fuel and air mixture depending on the environment and driving style. Turbo units on any vehicle are designed to give 30% more power and increased torque as a standard figure, but using the turbo in the sweet spot rev range 1900 to 2700 rpm will increase your fuel consumption depending on how heavy your right boot is of course. There is no such thing as wasted fuel either as every particle burnt contributes to the polar movement of inertia, unless it is un-burnt fuel then there is an apparent problem in the combustion process.

ps: This post has opened up a can of worms lol.
jig
Having owned a few turbo charged Saabs,they show economy dropping with revs and boost,not conclusive

Preload
The amount of power which an engine can produce is limited by how much fuel it can burn, and the amount of fuel it can burn is limited by the amount of oxygen in the cylinder. The amount of oxygen in the cylinder is limited by the amount of air in the cylinder. So, if more power is wanted then more air is needed, how do we achieve this? Well a large engine has more air, so it can produce more power, or compress the air before it gets to the cylinders.

The key to fuel efficiency is to squeeze as much energy as possible out of a given amount of fuel by burning it as completely as possible. Diesel fuel itself has the potential to produce more power than a like quantity of petrol. Furthermore, high compression ratios help diesels to burn their fuel more completely than petrol engines. And because diesels always intake a full charge of air while varying the amount of fuel, the air-fuel mixture tends to be a very lean mixture at lower power outputs, which helps burn the fuel more completely.
Kira000
I've had my brand new 1.6 tdci titanium for just over a month - 900miles on the dial now. I have been a bit disappointed in the fuel economy compared to my previous fiesta- 08/08 1.6tdci zetec climate, with which i consistently got 60-67mpg mainly on commuting on roads between 20-50mph. With my new fiesta on the same roads, i am currently getting 57.8- 58.4mpg. As i said, a little disappointed, but reading some other experiences, it seems i'm not doing too bad!
I am paying more attention to braking and accelerating more gently now, to try and improve the MPG but i was never that heavy on them to start with. I also drive in 5th as early and often as possible, which seems to help- i've only had the gear change arrow appear once, and that was test accelerating when i first got the car to get a feel for it.
I will be interested to see what happens over the seasons, as i found in my old 1.6 tdci, the MPG dropped in winter, to around 56mpg, comapred to the 67mpg i got in the summer. Curious!
SteveTDCI
Really is a strange one this, my line of thought is that higher mileage vehicles with this particular engine will infact squeeze more mpg than those that are less ran in but it would be interesting to take a peak at Peugeot/Citroen forums and see what those drivers are saying about their 110 HDI units.

Ill take a look and report back on my findings :P
Wibbly
[quote name='Kira000' date='04 October 2010 - 08:30 PM' timestamp='1286220053' post='99815']
I've had my brand new 1.6 tdci titanium for just over a month - 900miles on the dial now. I have been a bit disappointed in the fuel economy compared to my previous fiesta- 08/08 1.6tdci zetec climate, with which i consistently got 60-67mpg mainly on commuting on roads between 20-50mph. With my new fiesta on the same roads, i am currently getting 57.8- 58.4mpg. As i said, a little disappointed, but reading some other experiences, it seems i'm not doing too bad!
[/quote]

900 miles isn't much. I'd expect the engine to still be tight, impacting fuel consumption. See what happens after 2.5k, 5k, even 10k miles.
SteveTDCI
Well after 5000 miles Im still not seeing an improvement on economy. I've bitten the bullet and invested in a RoverRon tuning box to see if I can get this figure of 42-46 mpg any higher. It should be with me in a few days and once fitted(going to be a pain) ill be sure to advise of the results.
SteveTDCI
Well I went ahead and fitted the box today, was an absolute pain. Trust me people are not exaggerating just how frustrating it is fitting a tuning box to one of these engines. In the end though it was completely worth it.

Mid range was always good at standard setup but now from 40 to 70 its astonishingly quick, even after spending 2 hours blasting round the local country lanes I still averaged 44mpg something that would have been considerably lower before. As a test I did my local commute route and averaged 57.8mpg which is the highest I have every achieved on that route in this car(all busy town roads).

In this respect its obvious that If you drive correctly when using a box they do what they say on the tin.

Word of warning though, the many guides out their that suggest you to look for the RED common rail plug are now incorrect for the 2010 onwards 1.6 TDCI engine. The plugs are now BLACK which I can only presume is Ford/PSA's way of hiding it.
toyer00
Ive just brought a 2005 1.6 TDCI mk2 focus saloon with just under 50k on the clock. I have got about 40 MPG around town which is amazing compared to my old Golf GTI 1.8T. My concern is yesterday I drove to London from Birmingham all motorway I had the cruise control on doing 80 there and the same back at 2 in the morning so hardly had to break or stop. I was only getting 45 MPG even after i reset the trip. Now I dont know if the cruise control affected this has this is my first car with this feature. Am I being naive in believing the official figures or missing something obvious. The only other thing I was thinking is it may have been sat for a while at the garage or maybe try some fuel additives.

Any help will be welcome
Wibbly
[quote name='toyer00' timestamp='1318324646' post='147958']
Ive just brought a 2005 1.6 TDCI mk2 focus saloon with just under 50k on the clock. I have got about 40 MPG around town which is amazing compared to my old Golf GTI 1.8T. My concern is yesterday I drove to London from Birmingham all motorway I had the cruise control on doing 80 there and the same back at 2 in the morning so hardly had to break or stop. I was only getting 45 MPG even after i reset the trip. Now I dont know if the cruise control affected this has this is my first car with this feature. Am I being naive in believing the official figures or missing something obvious. The only other thing I was thinking is it may have been sat for a while at the garage or maybe try some fuel additives.

Any help will be welcome
[/quote]

What makes you think should be achieving any better at 80mph?
Wibbly
[quote name='SteveTDCI' timestamp='1289071196' post='103451']
Well I went ahead and fitted the box today, was an absolute pain. Trust me people are not exaggerating just how frustrating it is fitting a tuning box to one of these engines. In the end though it was completely worth it.

Mid range was always good at standard setup but now from 40 to 70 its astonishingly quick, even after spending 2 hours blasting round the local country lanes I still averaged 44mpg something that would have been considerably lower before. As a test I did my local commute route and averaged 57.8mpg which is the highest I have every achieved on that route in this car(all busy town roads).

In this respect its obvious that If you drive correctly when using a box they do what they say on the tin.

Word of warning though, the many guides out their that suggest you to look for the RED common rail plug are now incorrect for the 2010 onwards 1.6 TDCI engine. The plugs are now BLACK which I can only presume is Ford/PSA's way of hiding it.
[/quote]

Is there a trade-off using these kind of tuning boxes (other than their initial cost)? Seems odd that manufacturers wouldn't do this as standard to get class leading performance/enconomy... Why wouldn't they?
toyer00
[quote name='Wibbly' timestamp='1318326155' post='147962']
What makes you think should be achieving any better at 80mph?
[/quote]

Surely at 80mph doing 2500 revs I should be getting better MPG then town driving in my old golf i got 28 town then 40 at 80 on the motorway. I was at least expecting 50-60 MPG at 80 is this wrong of me?
Wibbly
[quote name='toyer00' timestamp='1318327299' post='147965']
Surely at 80mph doing 2500 revs I should be getting better MPG then town driving in my old golf i got 28 town then 40 at 80 on the motorway. I was at least expecting 50-60 MPG at 80 is this wrong of me?
[/quote]

I think a lot is down to driving style and how you use the available power. Also Diesels are supposed to be relatively more efficient at narrow throttle openings compared with petrol, so blasting down the motorway at 80 (and overcoming all the wind resistance at that speed) isn't going to get you amazing economy and possibly not much better than a petrol equivalent. Increasing speed a little increases wind resistance disproportionately. I don't think the revs has much to do with - think of gas guzzling slow revving American V8's! Low revs just means it's not a buzz box.

For what it's worth I had a 1.6 petrol Focus as a loan car for a day. Amazing how gutless it felt and how I seemed to have to rev it all the time. Gotta love diesels in this respect. Just have to be going fast enough not to hear/feel the diesel's engine's 'unrefined' noise!

I've done 36000 in my 1.6 tdci and have averaged about 57mpg. I drive 'gently'.
toyer00
[quote name='Wibbly' timestamp='1318329611' post='147969']
I think a lot is down to driving style and how you use the available power. Also Diesels are supposed to be relatively more efficient at narrow throttle openings compared with petrol, so blasting down the motorway at 80 (and overcoming all the wind resistance at that speed) isn't going to get you amazing economy and possibly not much better than a petrol equivalent. Increasing speed a little increases wind resistance disproportionately. I don't think the revs has much to do with - think of gas guzzling slow revving American V8's! Low revs just means it's not a buzz box.

For what it's worth I had a 1.6 petrol Focus as a loan car for a day. Amazing how gutless it felt and how I seemed to have to rev it all the time. Gotta love diesels in this respect. Just have to be going fast enough not to hear/feel the diesel's engine's 'unrefined' noise!

I've done 36000 in my 1.6 tdci and have averaged about 57mpg. I drive 'gently'.
[/quote]

Thank you Wibbly for your feedback like I said i just had the cruise control set to 80 on a clear motorway but 45 is still a lot better then my old golf around town. So far I love the focus and its a GHIA so it has all the mod cons. Ill just try driving it a little slower next time see what I get.

Cheers
Wibbly
I find economy (according to the avg mpg on the dash) gets a LOT better when I'm stuck in slow speed traffic on the motorway, even if it's a bit stop-start, and best if it just stays moving and I don't have to brake too much. In that situation I'm forced to 65mph or less typically. Also get in the habit of using the 'slow' lane so long a people are making reasonable progress. If you do the maths, it won't actually increase your journey time as much as you think it will - and five or ten minutes here or there usually doesn't get noticed too much on a longer trip.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_economy_in_automobiles

"The power to overcome air resistance increases roughly with the cube of the speed, and thus the energy required per unit distance is roughly proportional to the square of speed. Because air resistance increases so rapidly with speed, above about 30 mph (48 km/h), it becomes a dominant limiting factor. [b]Driving at 45 rather than 65 mph[/b] (72 rather than 105 km/h)[b] requires about one-third the power[/b] to overcome wind resistance, or about one-half the energy per unit distance, and much greater fuel economy can be achieved. [b]Increasing speed to 90 mph[/b] (145 km/h) [b]from 65 mph[/b] (105 km/h) [b]increases the power requirement by 2.6 times[/b], the energy per unit distance by 1.9 times, and decreases fuel economy. In real world vehicles the change in fuel economy is less than the values quoted above due to complicating factors."

Basically, drive a BIT slower and save a LOT of fuel.

Cruise controls aren't the best way of saving fuel either, as popular wisdom is that it's more efficient to let the car slow down when climbing hills... (though maybe it's just better just because you're going more slowly at a more efficient throttle opening)
catch
Here are some figures I've achieved, OK it's on a petrol 1.6 but it is relative to your enquiries in that it shows how MPG drops off the harder you push an engine.

Short 6 mile trip on quite motorway, cruising @ 54mph I got 59.50 mpg on the comp.
Country A road 11 miles @ circa 50mph comp showed 57.30 mpg.
209 mile trip all motorway cruising at 70.0 mpg comp showing 41.2 mpg
Skipton to Cornwall and back 881 miles, Motorway cruising at circa 75 mpg comp showed 37.4 mpg

The above figures prove once your start pushing it over the middle fifties mph, economic mpg drops off considerably. Well it does on my 5 speed petrol engine. And I assume the official mpg figures are built around the 56 mph figure because that is more or less the sweet spot for miles per gallon returned
Barry_
I just done a 400 round trip in my 1.8 tdci and according to the trip meter i got about 54/55 mpg crusing around 80 (combo of motorway and A road dual carraige ways) Unfortunately i had to go back home after 100 miles (forgot my wallet :huh: ) so on way back out again i was more 85/90 and dropped to about 52mpg. Trip back was not rushed as much and overal the mpg stated was 53 mpg.
Wibbly
[quote name='catch' timestamp='1318332942' post='147978']
Here are some figures I've achieved, OK it's on a petrol 1.6 but it is relative to your enquiries in that it shows how MPG drops off the harder you push an engine.

Short 6 mile trip on quite motorway, cruising @ 54mph I got 59.50 mpg on the comp.
Country A road 11 miles @ circa 50mph comp showed 57.30 mpg.
209 mile trip all motorway cruising at 70.0 mpg comp showing 41.2 mpg
Skipton to Cornwall and back 881 miles, Motorway cruising at circa 75 mpg comp showed 37.4 mpg

The above figures prove once your start pushing it over the middle fifties mph, economic mpg drops off considerably. Well it does on my 5 speed petrol engine. And I assume the official mpg figures are built around the 56 mph figure because that is more or less the sweet spot for miles per gallon returned
[/quote]

Yeah - main difference with a diesel *should* be better fuel economy than petrol when in equivalent stop start/small throttle openings. One reason why they've remained popular for delivery vans, despite the higher fuel price.
Wibbly
Anyone checked the accuracy of their trip MPG meter? I recon mine is less accurate at higher MPGs and adds a 1 or 2 MPG - so optimistic by a few %. I look at averages when brimming the tank.
Druberry
I have the 1.6 tdci Zetec s, just done a weekend to lake district from Devon, totalled 900 miles the average overall was 57mpg, not bad as had a head wind coming home and did not hang around. Around town I tend to get 48 mpg. My parents have 1.6 tdci but only do short journeys (3300 miles in 18 months) they get 43mpg. Have a nice day.
catch
[quote name='Druberry' timestamp='1318608366' post='148551']
I have the 1.6 tdci Zetec s, just done a weekend to lake district from Devon, totalled 900 miles the average overall was 57mpg, not bad as had a head wind coming home and did not hang around. Around town I tend to get 48 mpg. My parents have 1.6 tdci but only do short journeys (3300 miles in 18 months) they get 43mpg. Have a nice day.
[/quote]

Those are decent figures there Andy, what kind of average mph cruise speed where you achieving on the motorways when you had an open road in front of you [no holds ups]

Regards your parents drive totals, 3,300 miles in 18 months. I'd be interested to know how old is the car, have they had it from new, and have they had any DPF issues with it.

I ask because Mk2 /2.5 TDCi's fitted with DPF's can have issues if only used for pottering about on short journeys. And lets be fair at 3,300 miles in 18 months it fits the profile. Setting aside for one moment the obvious argument that paying the "Diesel Price Premium" at point of purchase. And the added service costs of maintaining / replacing the DPF, far outweighs any savings they could possibly make in fuels visa vee petrol/diesel.

But it may be the case that your parents have had no issues with the DPF, so making peeps like me doing circa 5 to 6k per annum revisit the buy diesel or petrol option.

By the way Welcome to the forum.

Full Colour Version: 1.6 Tdci Fuel Economy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.