Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bye Bye Focus
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
hawker
After a total nightmare since last November with my Ford Focus (spent about £1700 on repair bills alone) I have now sold my focus and bought a
[url="http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201029363797177/sort/locasc/usedcars/price-to/8000/maximum-mileage/up_to_40000_miles/model/mazda6/make/mazda/postcode/cf828fr/page/2/radius/1500?logcode=p"]Mazda6 2.3 Sport[/url]

I was extremely impressed with its overall condition (almost perfect considering its 4 years old) especially interior-wise, so its quite apparent that its been very well looked after.

I had it for £7400, with a full main Mazda dealer warranty that comes with the top RAC breakdown cover package, and its getting its usual full service and vallet before I pick it up (on Saturday)

Repair bills aside, day-to-day running costs are going to soar compared to the Focus (tax doubled, insurance up £150, petrol up by about £10 a week probably) So to compensate, we are going to sell the missus's Xsara Picasso, and get a little 1 litre Yaris (£30 tax, group 1 insurance, 56 mpg combined)

I had a Mazda6 2.3 Sport between 2003 and 2006 and I loved every minute in it and didnt have a moment's trouble, so I hope this one will be as good. I just want a car that I have some feelings for again, one that I can enjoy being in, and above all, one I can depend on week in week out.

I would just like to say a big thank you to all the help and advice I have recieved from you all on here over the last 8 months (especially Catch ;) ) and I still intend to drop in to poke my oar in here from time to time. :D

Cheers
Paul
artscot79
[quote name='hawker' date='26 July 2010 - 02:17 PM' timestamp='1280149650' post='90044']
After a total nightmare since last November with my Ford Focus (spent about £1700 on repair bills alone) I have now sold my focus and bought a
[url="http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201029363797177/sort/locasc/usedcars/price-to/8000/maximum-mileage/up_to_40000_miles/model/mazda6/make/mazda/postcode/cf828fr/page/2/radius/1500?logcode=p"]Mazda6 2.3 Sport[/url]

I was extremely impressed with its overall condition (almost perfect considering its 4 years old) especially interior-wise, so its quite apparent that its been very well looked after.

I had it for £7400, with a full main Mazda dealer warranty that comes with the top RAC breakdown cover package, and its getting its usual full service and vallet before I pick it up (on Saturday)

Repair bills aside, day-to-day running costs are going to soar compared to the Focus (tax doubled, insurance up £150, petrol up by about £10 a week probably) So to compensate, we are going to sell the missus's Xsara Picasso, and get a little 1 litre Yaris (£30 tax, group 1 insurance, 56 mpg combined)

I had a Mazda6 2.3 Sport between 2003 and 2006 and I loved every minute in it and didnt have a moment's trouble, so I hope this one will be as good. I just want a car that I have some feelings for again, one that I can enjoy being in, and above all, one I can depend on week in week out.

I would just like to say a big thank you to all the help and advice I have recieved from you all on here over the last 8 months (especially Catch ;) ) and I still intend to drop in to poke my oar in here from time to time. :D

Cheers
Paul
[/quote]

sad to see you go but understandable with the hassle youve had the mazda is a good car still ford but built better should have no trouble with it matethough i dont want to dampen ypoure enthusiasm but these are a few of the issues you could get the petrols seem good diesels have many faults i filtered them out this si all for the petrol models with 6 speed boxes note ford still cant get the paint right

Enough reports of premature clutch and clutch/flywheel failure to state that the model seems to suffer a much higher rate of this than would be normal.

Headlights bulbs can blow continually

One reader had a spate of problems in two and a half years:- new clutch (18,000miles). New rear tyres due to mis-alignment (20,000miles). Brake discs re-skimmed (23,000 miles: again seems to be a common problem), throttle body cleaned out due to a sticking butterfly valve (26,000miles).

Rusting under the paint at the fronts of the rear wheel arches quite common after about 4 years. Also rusting of tailgates on hatches and estates and rusting of door bottoms. if intending on keeping it dinitrol on the inside of the arches and door interiors helps this

On petrol models with cruise control, random variations in engine revs can be caused by a sticking cruise control actuator step motor. Dismantling, thoroughly cleaning and relubricating, followed by reassembly can cure it.

Numerous reports of alloy wheels oxidising from a mix of UK road salt and brake dust. If still under warranty Mazda offers a refurb. if out of warranty advised to use a good alloy wheel sealer

and to boot mazda have exce;llent customer service
catch
[quote name='hawker' date='26 July 2010 - 02:17 PM' timestamp='1280149650' post='90044']

Cheers
Paul
[/quote]

I'm chuffed for you mate getting what you want and trust. I must say it looks nice and it is loaded with kit like my S40 was. When you think, Fords are overpriced really. And it proves it, when you can pick one up less than a year old for half the price of new or less.

I saw a Focus 1.6 Titanium 59 plate advertised the other day @ £9,799 they were retailing new at £20,000+

If it's not to painful mate, what did you pay for the Focus back in November, what you actually spent on it and what you got for it PX. If you don't want to say that's fine. I just thought it would add to the knowledge base as they say. In that it could serve as a warning to others, as to what can and does go wrong in the buying process if your unlucky.

Yes and do pop in any time you want mate, I'll miss having you around. And thanks for the acknowledgement, but you yourself through your experiences have been a great asset to this forum. Love to here how you get on with your new motor. And an excellent idea regards getting an economical Yaris run about for the wife, Toyota's are excellent motors.
ford focus edge
Being a mazda fan i can totally see why you scraped of your focus (sorry but reading the post's it was a pile of!!) also having work experiance at a mazda dealership there service is second to none although after personal experiance honda is the best!

Keep nipping on though and let us know how the 6 is going!

Mike
hawker
Thanks for all the kind words fellas, I appreciate it. I will certainly not stop coming on here. I have made a few good friends in the short time I have been here, and I am always keen to try and help out others whenever I can.

catch: I paid 5400 for the Focus back in Nov. All garages I took it to have it valued for PX offered me 4000, so in repair bills and depreciation alone, these last 8 months have cost me over 3000. Even so, I still like my Focus. When it was in fact going ok, I found it great. Its just the reliability and dependability I couldnt trust, and obviously we all need a car we can rely on. I was just very unlucky with the particular one I had. Lesson learned though - I will never buy a high mileage car again!

I've seen the potential problems that the 6's seem to have, but a huge percentage of these seem to be with the Diesel version. The petrol version seems a lot more reliable to be fair, particularly after the first facelift (in 2005) Fingers crossed I will have a car as good as my first Mazda6.
blueovalcraig
Hi there, don't want to dampen your spirits but in our garage we have had a Mazda 2.3 which has had serious engine problems at 60k miles. Knackered valve stem seals, worn piston rings etc etc. ended up with a brand new engine being fitted...........
hawker
No doubt there are a few bad eggs amongst every single model of car. (I should know having first hand experience!!! :) )

Hopefully, the one I've got isnt one of them this time.
Its got a full main dealer Mazda warranty for the first year and has the top RAC breakdown service for that year too so fingers crossed, I should at least be ok for a while!
catch
[quote name='hawker' date='26 July 2010 - 09:13 PM' timestamp='1280174617' post='90097']
No doubt there are a few bad eggs amongst every single model of car. (I should know having first hand experience!!! :) )

Hopefully, the one I've got isnt one of them this time.
Its got a full main dealer Mazda warranty for the first year and has the top RAC breakdown service for that year too so fingers crossed, I should at least be ok for a while!
[/quote]

Paul when do you pick it up? End of the week? I bet you cannot wait to get your hands on a Mazda 6 Sport again.
But you know somebody will most likely buy your Focus, and probably have years of no hassle motoring in front of them. And no doubt swearing by it, oblivious of the grief and expense it caused you.
hawker
Picking it up mid day on Saturday catch. Very much looking forward to it, but strangely enough, I will still be sad to see the Focus go, even if it has been a very naughty boy! :lol:

And yes, the new owner will probably be getting a fantastic bargain - a "new" focus for all intents and purposes, for around 5500 probably. I've been the one to put in the elbow grease to make this a great little car again, and will more than likely not cause him a day's trouble. There you go! :) I hope my generosity will be looked upon favourably, and I get a well behaved Mazda in return. :P
catch
[quote name='hawker' date='27 July 2010 - 08:12 AM' timestamp='1280214152' post='90142']
even if it has been a very naughty boy! :lol:[/quote]

I just love that film "Life of Brian" ......[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af9EHtQMMc4"]He's not the Messiah[/url] I hope it's not to early for a bit of full frontal nudity :D

[quote] and I get a well behaved Mazda in return. :P
[/quote]

I'm sure you will mate, but don't forget to keep popping in to see us. Though I suspect you will be making new cyber friends over at the Mazda forum now :D
hawker
[quote name='catch' date='27 July 2010 - 09:02 AM' timestamp='1280217169' post='90146']
I'm sure you will mate, but don't forget to keep popping in to see us. Though I suspect you will be making new cyber friends over at the Mazda forum now :D
[/quote]

I'm not so sure butty! I joined the 6 Forum over a week ago, and not one person has replied to my "hello" and introductory question asking. It doesnt seem quite so friendly there as it is on here. :(
catch
[quote name='hawker' date='27 July 2010 - 09:07 AM' timestamp='1280217451' post='90147']
I'm not so sure butty! I joined the 6 Forum over a week ago, and not one person has replied to my "hello" and introductory question asking. It doesnt seem quite so friendly there as it is on here. :(
[/quote]

well to be fair it only has 2,050 members, as against 15,079 on this forum. On top of that the reality is "active" members as against registered members are thin on the ground on all forums. Or there again the none posting members might say ...they have a life :D Where as my theory is, the world is full of "takers" and lacking in "givers" :rolleyes:

Full Colour Version: Bye Bye Focus
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.