Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Led Lights
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
ford focus edge
Right well im bored lol so i was thinking about changing alot of bulbs over to led such as numberplate lights, the high level brake light and also fitting some ambient lighting http://www.european-parts.net/catalog/product_info.php?osCsid=d665e639742052db76d4adb53d08b7cf&currency=GBP&products_id=966&osCsid=d665e639742052db76d4adb53d08b7cf

About the night lighting though ive modified my existing wiring to allow me to fit the ghia maplights which dont have the night lighting will i need to faf about with more wires or should they come on anyway when the side lights are flicked on.

High level brake light - can i fit standard white led bulbs into this or will i need to fit red, it still has the standard red lense in

Numberplate lights - these should be a standard swap over? festoon fitment/"501"

Mike
artscot79
[quote name='ford focus edge' date='01 August 2010 - 05:20 PM' timestamp='1280679001' post='90782']
Right well im bored lol so i was thinking about changing alot of bulbs over to led such as numberplate lights, the high level brake light and also fitting some ambient lighting [url="http://www.european-parts.net/catalog/product_info.php?osCsid=d665e639742052db76d4adb53d08b7cf&currency=GBP&products_id=966&osCsid=d665e639742052db76d4adb53d08b7cf"]http://www.european-...6d4adb53d08b7cf[/url]

About the night lighting though ive modified my existing wiring to allow me to fit the ghia maplights which dont have the night lighting will i need to faf about with more wires or should they come on anyway when the side lights are flicked on.

High level brake light - can i fit standard white led bulbs into this or will i need to fit red, it still has the standard red lense in

Numberplate lights - these should be a standard swap over? festoon fitment/"501"

Mike
[/quote]

word of warning without the resistors in place the leds will blow and wont work right the headlights and brake lights all need in line resistors or they either blow or/and give major electrical gremlins the ghia maplights were a straight swap on mine so that part i cant comment on
ford focus edge
[quote name='artscot79' date='01 August 2010 - 05:43 PM' timestamp='1280680438' post='90784']
word of warning without the resistors in place the leds will blow and wont work right the headlights and brake lights all need in line resistors or they either blow or/and give major electrical gremlins the ghia maplights were a straight swap on mine so that part i cant comment on
[/quote]

My led rear light clusters are all ok though, sidelights etc i just thought indicators were the issue because they flash to fast due to the low power consumption of the bulb's.

Haha yeah they were a straight swap in mine i just thought then it was the footwell lights i hacked into the loom for done to much to that car need to write it all down so i can remember what i did to what!

Mike
artscot79
[quote name='ford focus edge' date='01 August 2010 - 06:06 PM' timestamp='1280681810' post='90791']
My led rear light clusters are all ok though, sidelights etc i just thought indicators were the issue because they flash to fast due to the low power consumption of the bulb's.

Haha yeah they were a straight swap in mine i just thought then it was the footwell lights i hacked into the loom for done to much to that car need to write it all down so i can remember what i did to what!

Mike
[/quote]

the indicators flashing too fast is a sure sign that you need resistors fitted thares some that fit in and you get away with it tyhen thaeres some that throw electrical gremlins in a few months down the line you dont want a fire so resistors are a must without them theres the slim chance they overheat the wiring
ford focus edge
[quote name='artscot79' date='01 August 2010 - 08:42 PM' timestamp='1280691159' post='90807']
the indicators flashing too fast is a sure sign that you need resistors fitted thares some that fit in and you get away with it tyhen thaeres some that throw electrical gremlins in a few months down the line you dont want a fire so resistors are a must without them theres the slim chance they overheat the wiring
[/quote]

The clusters have been on for yonks now as have the side lights lol the rest are just on and off i wouldant change the indicator lights to much faf the main thing was the colour of the bulbs that il need in the high level brake light because white are 10 a penny where as red are hard to come by and the night lighting wiring into the other lights.

If my car caught fire i think id not really care get a nice insurance claim :P
artscot79
[quote name='ford focus edge' date='01 August 2010 - 09:00 PM' timestamp='1280692244' post='90808']
The clusters have been on for yonks now as have the side lights lol the rest are just on and off i wouldant change the indicator lights to much faf the main thing was the colour of the bulbs that il need in the high level brake light because white are 10 a penny where as red are hard to come by and the night lighting wiring into the other lights.

If my car caught fire i think id not really care get a nice insurance claim :P
[/quote]

i would get the red and the white the red usually arent that great but ive seen some with the red bulbs fitted rather than the white get 2 of each and see whats best when the brakes are applied with the lights on go for whichever is brighter sometimes the white can look a bit dull compared to the red just make sure they are double filament bulbs
ford focus edge
[quote name='artscot79' date='02 August 2010 - 12:30 PM' timestamp='1280748040' post='90860']
i would get the red and the white the red usually arent that great but ive seen some with the red bulbs fitted rather than the white get 2 of each and see whats best when the brakes are applied with the lights on go for whichever is brighter sometimes the white can look a bit dull compared to the red just make sure they are double filament bulbs
[/quote]

I'l get a set of both if money allows im now looking for a set of parking sensors if there not stupidally hard to fit becasue i nearly reversed into one of those hip height posts in the halfords carpark today! would not of been impressed

Mike
andy_1984
fast indicators are a real pain in the arse for the guy behind you, especially at night when they are brighter. you should sort that out.
CAR PARTS EXPRESS
heres a link for the resistors to stop the fast flashing [url="http://www.carpartsexpress.co.uk/Led-Bulbs-&-Lights/Fiesta-MK45/Resistor-Kit-&-LED-Flasher-Units/p-696-701-310/"]My link[/url]
ford focus edge
I sorted the indicator's out i just fitted normal chrome bulbs in place led's were to much faf for that part, going to get out there today and order me bulbs just hope they'll all work properly
hawker
LED bulbs are by in large a non-starter, as most of the clusters that house the bulbs use reflectors to "amplify" the light. You will find most LED bulbs poor in comparison to standard bulbs in terms of light output, as LEDs have an extremely focused light output.

Sidelights are probably your best bet to go over to LEDs, in particular the ones which have multiple LEDs in all directions. These utilise the cluster's reflectors to obtain a decent light output.

I've just put a set in my Mazda6 (see [url="http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14275&st=0&gopid=90998&#entry90998"]this thread[/url] )

If your interested in these bulbs, I got them [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2pcs-501-W5W-Refractor-5-Power-LED-White-Wedge-Bulbs-/200502693559?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eaee44eb7#ht_823wt_879"]here[/url] These are 501's which is the same as the Focus sidelight type.

I have tried loads of different LED's over the years, and these sidelights are head and shoulders above any other. They are superb.
ford focus edge
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300440865128&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2024wt_911 Those are the sidelight ones i was going to buy ive tested them on my cusin's astra coupe and there nice look like little eyes :P lol there going to be put into the 3rd rear brake light and the front sidelights, the numerplate light im going to take out today and measure to make sure its a 36mm or a 38mm festoon fit
cressws1
What bulbs do I need for the rear number plate? I want white ones rather than the usual pearl colour, The bulb style is the same as the interior light so its not the 501 wedge that I thought it was.
artscot79
[quote name='cressws1' date='04 August 2010 - 07:34 PM' timestamp='1280946267' post='91328']
What bulbs do I need for the rear number plate? I want white ones rather than the usual pearl colour, The bulb style is the same as the interior light so its not the 501 wedge that I thought it was.
[/quote]

they are usually 38mm festoon bulbs you get bright white ones which are better than the leds the leds ive known people to get pulled over as the light is quite poor from them
ford focus edge
I thought they were 38mm but there 36mm on mine still a festoon fit i ordered some "6 led 36mm festoon ultra white" ones just wating for them to be delivered
artscot79
[quote name='ford focus edge' date='05 August 2010 - 01:20 PM' timestamp='1281010213' post='91441']
I thought they were 38mm but there 36mm on mine still a festoon fit i ordered some "6 led 36mm festoon ultra white" ones just wating for them to be delivered
[/quote]

given how little they cost ide just order 2 36mm and 2 38mm if the 38s are too big they can be used for the interior light and bootlight
ford focus edge
They dont turn off though on the interior lights because rather than just going off they dim why i dont no but when i had all mine blue inside with led's they never went fully off :huh:
artscot79
[quote name='ford focus edge' date='05 August 2010 - 06:21 PM' timestamp='1281028271' post='91475']
They dont turn off though on the interior lights because rather than just going off they dim why i dont no but when i had all mine blue inside with led's they never went fully off :huh:
[/quote]

because leds run on such a low current the interior lights even when off are hard wired to a permenant live so theres just enough current to keep the leds lit and they will never turn off just burn out a lot quicker had many friends with diff motors complain about it till they got fed up and ripped them out
ford focus edge
All done just thought id finish the thread off.
artscot79
[quote name='ford focus edge' date='21 August 2010 - 09:23 PM' timestamp='1282421637' post='94092']
All done just thought id finish the thread off.
[/quote]

i have to say seeing that pic of the rear number plate that will defo get you stopped as the plates only partially readable and considering you may have to pay an mot fee to prove they were changed is it worth the risk all the other ones are fine just the plates that are too dim thoutgh i have to say standard bulbs are defo brighter than the leds
ford focus edge
O lol right il av to change them back :( do you no of any i can get though that are led yet actually do the job because there supposed to be super brights
artscot79
[quote name='ford focus edge' date='21 August 2010 - 10:55 PM' timestamp='1282427103' post='94103']
O lol right il av to change them back :( do you no of any i can get though that are led yet actually do the job because there supposed to be super brights
[/quote]

http://www.alltronix.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=113

thats the best i found but if you look on ebay there were similar ones no idea what the ones you got look like but if they are similar then try moving the bulbs a bit turning them so the beam comes out a bit more if possible
ford focus edge
Pffffff lol bugger paying that! il just put the old ones back in i tired fiddling with the angle and that in the pics was the best i could get sod it all art!
artscot79
[quote name='ford focus edge' date='22 August 2010 - 03:44 PM' timestamp='1282487682' post='94155']
Pffffff lol bugger paying that! il just put the old ones back in i tired fiddling with the angle and that in the pics was the best i could get sod it all art!
[/quote]

its up to you mate these cheap ones are cheap for a reasoin thats the proper leds with in built resistors. just dont want you to get what happened to my sis she was pulled for the rear number plate lights being ineffective she had to take it to an mot station and get them to change the bulbs then sign the form saying it had been done 47 quid in toital then take the slip to the police station
ford focus edge
My mate got done for blue led sidelights and had to do that and for the sake of 2 3 led's its really not worth it! put my mind at rest fitting the old ones back in anyway going to leave the others in i was just going for the modern look with superwhite bulbs etc

Next thing is hoping the parking sensors eventually blend in :ph34r:
artscot79
[quote name='ford focus edge' date='22 August 2010 - 06:19 PM' timestamp='1282496988' post='94185']
My mate got done for blue led sidelights and had to do that and for the sake of 2 £3 led's its really not worth it! put my mind at rest fitting the old ones back in anyway going to leave the others in i was just going for the modern look with superwhite bulbs etc

Next thing is hoping the parking sensors eventually blend in :ph34r:
[/quote]

lol i hate them just says to me that you cant drive lol looked at them before my mums car has them built in and i hate them they just put me off whip em off theyre for women drivers lol:D

bloody hell look at my post copunt i need to stop coming on here:huh:
ford focus edge
I can drive i just cant bloody park lmao my dads after a set for his st220 but thats a massive car so i can understand why + his honda had them so he became dependant.

2,041 you sad old fart! :P i joined just after a month later than you and im on 604 :blink:
artscot79
[quote name='ford focus edge' date='22 August 2010 - 07:45 PM' timestamp='1282502129' post='94204']
I can drive i just cant bloody park lmao my dads after a set for his st220 but thats a massive car so i can understand why + his honda had them so he became dependant.

2,041 you sad old fart! :P i joined just after a month later than you and im on 604 :blink:
[/quote]

i know its bad gonna have to try and stop answering questions ive just seen so many with them reverse into walls and bollards etc so figured they cant be that great my mums is temprementle you stop when it tells you to get out and theres a bus driving through the gap lol
ford focus edge
[quote name='artscot79' date='22 August 2010 - 09:04 PM' timestamp='1282506886' post='94225']
i know its bad gonna have to try and stop answering questions ive just seen so many with them reverse into walls and bollards etc so figured they cant be that great my mums is temprementle you stop when it tells you to get out and theres a bus driving through the gap lol
[/quote]

I paid 17 quid for mine with a 3yr guarantee on them so cant really go wrong i love them just like the beep when i put it into reverse :P makes me feel posh lol.

you cant stop ur Scottish you lot chat for England .... well Scotland or should i say ACKKKKKK NEEE SCOOOOOOUULOOOND sorry but someone did shout that when i picked my cusin up from dundee uni and i was howling like a drain for about a week
artscot79
[quote name='ford focus edge' date='22 August 2010 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1282507511' post='94226']
I paid 17 quid for mine with a 3yr guarantee on them so cant really go wrong i love them just like the beep when i put it into reverse :P makes me feel posh lol.

you cant stop ur Scottish you lot chat for England .... well Scotland or should i say ACKKKKKK NEEE SCOOOOOOUULOOOND sorry but someone did shout that when i picked my cusin up from dundee uni and i was howling like a drain for about a week
[/quote]

well the mrs dont listen to me the kids ignore me and the dog would rather lick its nuts than do what it was told lol this is my only sanity or.......... is this reality? are we in the matrix and .....what is the matrix? its the english that started that phrase in the wee small hours wee means small in scottish so translated in the small small hours :P
ford focus edge
[quote name='artscot79' date='22 August 2010 - 10:04 PM' timestamp='1282510452' post='94234']
well the mrs dont listen to me the kids ignore me and the dog would rather lick its nuts than do what it was told lol this is my only sanity or.......... is this reality? are we in the matrix and .....what is the matrix? its the english that started that phrase in the wee small hours wee means small in scottish so translated in the small small hours :P
[/quote]

Mine dosent listen to me its like "COLLIE PUT THAT DOWN" "ohhhh shuttt uppp u fat puff (meaning me)" i really cant understand scottish one of her professors was there chatting away i just looked at my cus and went did he just say "my hovercraft is full of ells". The x was a geordie that really went down well she shouted at me and i burst out laffing just made her shout more and me laff more haha good times
artscot79
[quote name='ford focus edge' date='22 August 2010 - 10:10 PM' timestamp='1282510803' post='94236']
Mine dosent listen to me its like "COLLIE PUT THAT DOWN" "ohhhh shuttt uppp u fat puff (meaning me)" i really cant understand scottish one of her professors was there chatting away i just looked at my cus and went did he just say "my hovercraft is full of ells". The x was a geordie that really went down well she shouted at me and i burst out laffing just made her shout more and me laff more haha good times
[/quote]

my wolf emblem is finally on its way lol the rear one same as youres i think
ford focus edge
[quote name='artscot79' date='23 August 2010 - 06:32 PM' timestamp='1282584146' post='94356']
my wolf emblem is finally on its way lol the rear one same as youres i think
[/quote]

You mean this bad boy (not you the stickers althoughhhhh :P lmao)

If it is this one 2 things to take into account, it dosent fit completely plush to the boot lid one corner stick up due to the focus's curvey arse and the 2nd is they fade like crazy so if your cars parked with the back facing the sun reverse park it in if your as fussy as me lol
artscot79
[quote name='ford focus edge' date='23 August 2010 - 07:08 PM' timestamp='1282586287' post='94364']
You mean this bad boy (not you the stickers althoughhhhh :P lmao)

If it is this one 2 things to take into account, it dosent fit completely plush to the boot lid one corner stick up due to the focus's curvey arse and the 2nd is they fade like crazy so if your cars parked with the back facing the sun reverse park it in if your as fussy as me lol
[/quote]

thats the one not bothered with it fading the arse of my car doesnt face the sun much lol its scotland sun is a rare thing ill see where to position it not sure where yet might have it slightly lower dow or higher up lol ill mask it in place till i find a decent location im happy with
ford focus edge
[quote name='artscot79' date='23 August 2010 - 10:26 PM' timestamp='1282598171' post='94392']
thats the one not bothered with it fading the arse of my car doesnt face the sun much lol its scotland sun is a rare thing ill see where to position it not sure where yet might have it slightly lower dow or higher up lol ill mask it in place till i find a decent location im happy with
[/quote]

I just polished the area then stuck it down lmao put mine about the same level as the standard engine size badges that ford plonk on, after another pair of 1.6 badges for the doors just before the strip starts on the drivers door quite fancy the new style ford badge's 1.6 lettering if i can find any
JDFocus
Just a quick question:

If i were to change the interior lights to blue leds do the more expensive LEDS come with built in resistors or would i always have to fiddle about putting one in if im going to mod the interior lights?

Cheers

JD
artscot79
[quote name='JDFocus' date='24 August 2010 - 11:20 PM' timestamp='1282687820' post='94565']
Just a quick question:

If i were to change the interior lights to blue leds do the more expensive LEDS come with built in resistors or would i always have to fiddle about putting one in if im going to mod the interior lights?

Cheers

JD
[/quote]

most have built in resistors though this wont make them switch off m afraid the leds will stay on even when the doors shut and car locked they wont be as bright but they will be almost permenantly on
cressws1
[quote name='artscot79' date='25 August 2010 - 11:19 AM' timestamp='1282730953' post='94599']
most have built in resistors though this wont make them switch off m afraid the leds will stay on even when the doors shut and car locked they wont be as bright but they will be almost permenantly on
[/quote]

My blue LED's turn on/off when they are supposed to?
ford focus edge
When i tried them in my foot well lights and centre roof light they never turned off just dipped right down
artscot79
[quote name='ford focus edge' date='25 August 2010 - 08:21 PM' timestamp='1282763505' post='94669']
When i tried them in my foot well lights and centre roof light they never turned off just dipped right down
[/quote]

i agree most ive done them in they just dim really low never actually go fully off cress you must have the good ones the delay on the interior light means its permenantly live so it always has a tiny bit going through it
uzy
wht wud look better on a ford fiesta mk6 aqua blue chrome head/tail lights or black ones i think black ones myself but need advicee cheers!
ford focus edge
black deffo chrome look cheap and nasty in my view

Full Colour Version: Led Lights
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.