Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Focus 2.0 Tdci Loss Of Power
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
Deanlp
hey i was wondering if anybody has had a similar problem, i took the car out today got about 2 miles and all of a sudden when i changed to 5th it wouldnt accelerate. as if the clutch wasnt engaging or something i managed to get it up to 60 on the local A road but it was shaking alot. the only thing i could describe it as similar to is when i drove my pug 205 gt through a puddle obviously flooded the engine and it was shaking all the way back home.

there was no error message no limited speed mode or anything like that it just wouldnt pull. i couldnt get more than 40 up hill. i pulled up and turned it off and on again and it seems ok now, im just worried cause my warrantee is up in a month and im not payin to fix this in a months time.

thanks guys

dean
artscot79
[quote name='Deanlp' date='12 August 2010 - 08:10 PM' timestamp='1281639624' post='92612']
hey i was wondering if anybody has had a similar problem, i took the car out today got about 2 miles and all of a sudden when i changed to 5th it wouldnt accelerate. as if the clutch wasnt engaging or something i managed to get it up to 60 on the local A road but it was shaking alot. the only thing i could describe it as similar to is when i drove my pug 205 gt through a puddle obviously flooded the engine and it was shaking all the way back home.

there was no error message no limited speed mode or anything like that it just wouldnt pull. i couldnt get more than 40 up hill. i pulled up and turned it off and on again and it seems ok now, im just worried cause my warrantee is up in a month and im not payin to fix this in a months time.

thanks guys

dean
[/quote]

if its under warranty and thats due to run out dont faff around on here for an answer mate get it in the garage asap if it didnt go into limp mode than you have an issue get it in asap and have it diagnosed
hawker
1 possible reason is your clutch.
were the revs going up but not accelerating? if so it could be a sign that your clutch is on its way out.
Find a straight stretch of road doing about 20-25 in 2nd then put it straight into top gear and floor the accelerator. If the revs go up gradually with your speed then your clutch is ok. If not, it will need replacing, probably along with the DMF
Deanlp
i dont think the dealer warrantee covers 'wear and tear', it seems fine now just took it out again and it runs a dream....? its been raining pretty heavy but i dont see what turning it off and on again can do if its cause of water. i might ask them to have a look at it anyway. its done almost 60k miles ill check a service schedule off another post. nm

thanks
ralph
[quote name='Deanlp' date='12 August 2010 - 09:31 PM' timestamp='1281648104' post='92640']
i dont think the dealer warrantee covers 'wear and tear', it seems fine now just took it out again and it runs a dream....? its been raining pretty heavy but i dont see what turning it off and on again can do if its cause of water. i might ask them to have a look at it anyway. its done almost 60k miles ill check a service schedule off another post. nm

thanks
[/quote]

I had a similar problem with my tdci mondeo (2002). Turned out to be a split turbo hose .... Is there more smoke than usual from the exhaust pipe??
hawker
If your intercooler hose is split, you will indeed notice flat spots in acceleration, but you will also hear quite a loud rasping noise when accelerating hard, which is the sound of the air escaping out of the split hose. Are you getting this noise at all?
Deanlp
took it out last thing yesterday night and it seems to be fine, pulls like a train, turbo whistling away . i rang the dealer and he said they couldnt book it in till monday now (rang a bit late) so see how it goes over the weekend but he said it was probably down to the bad rain. gonna go for a run out after tea and check for exhaust smoke etc as u recommend. i checked for a dtc code and there is no new ones, just dont see how turning it off and on again can remove water?... if thats the case
artscot79
[quote name='Deanlp' date='13 August 2010 - 05:43 PM' timestamp='1281717193' post='92708']
took it out last thing yesterday night and it seems to be fine, pulls like a train, turbo whistling away . i rang the dealer and he said they couldnt book it in till monday now (rang a bit late) so see how it goes over the weekend but he said it was probably down to the bad rain. gonna go for a run out after tea and check for exhaust smoke etc as u recommend. i checked for a dtc code and there is no new ones, just dont see how turning it off and on again can remove water?... if thats the case
[/quote]

without sounding rude what the heck has bad rain gotta do with it unless waters getting into something? ask the dealer why the rain should make any difference at all to the car i bet he doesnt have any real answer to that ide look around the engine bay for anything obvious as said split pipes green corroded connectors if that shows up nothing ide be looking under the carpets to see if they are wet turning the key on and off will reboot the ecu and clear the fault till it returns again so the issue is likely engine or electrica.

let the dealer know you arent happy as the warranty is about to run out and theres clearly an issue somewhere most will fob you off till the warranty runs out then suddenly diagnose you with a big repair ide be tempted to get an extended warranty or aftermarket warranty

Full Colour Version: Focus 2.0 Tdci Loss Of Power
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615