Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Central Locking Issue Also Usual Sound At Speeds Above 50 Mph
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford KA / StreetKA Club
SophieB
I recently brought a 2000 plate KA, has had alot of work done to it prior to me buying it (the mot failure list took two pages). After bringing it home i noticed that the central locking doesn't work, the drivers door will lock the drivers door but not the boot or passengers door. The passenger door lock will lock both the passenger door and boot but not the drivers door so i have to lock the passengers door from the inside then get out and lock the drivers door or walk around the car and lock all the doors each at a time, a big task late at night!! Any idea's what could be up? It makes the usual whirring sounds when the key is inserted to lock the doors but doesnt lock all the doors. I cant afford to take it to a ford centre being a student and only 19!. The second issue is the car drives brilliantly but after about 55 mph the steering wheel and car seems to vibrate, could this be the tracking? or just where its such a little car its going to vibrate when speeding along.
Any help would be massively appreciated! Been scratching my head for ages and still waiting for my haynes manual.
delboy
not too sure on the central locking but the vibrating sounds like the wheels need balancing.
if you also get a humming doise aswell one of the wheel bearings has gone or one may even be on it's way out.
SophieB
Would the balancing been picked up on the MOT as it had 4 new tyres in order to pass MOT, yeah it does hum... cheers for the help
artscot79
[quote name='SophieB' date='17 August 2010 - 11:06 AM' timestamp='1282039003' post='93322']
Would the balancing been picked up on the MOT as it had 4 new tyres in order to pass MOT, yeah it does hum... cheers for the help
[/quote]

if its got new tyres then its the tracking or a wheel bearing on its way out most likely the tracking sounds like theres a wiring fault with the central locking system as its all linked sounds like youres isnt clearly the drivers door is the culprit so easiest way is to remove the door card sand inspect the wires on the pass side and compare to the drivers side2 pages not being funny but ide have walked away you may be in for more repairs than you bargained for those repairs done were just to pass an mot usually means the cars been neglected
SophieB
The central locking iv discovered is where the previous owner has literally cut the cables, re attached the wires and thought brill, only to find out the doors unlock themselves! Heard alot of people mention the "wiring loom", looked in my haynes manual and there is nothing but a description on what central locking is! So if anyone can tell me what it is and how to fix it, i would be extremly grateful.
artscot79
[quote name='SophieB' date='18 August 2010 - 09:18 PM' timestamp='1282162134' post='93656']
The central locking iv discovered is where the previous owner has literally cut the cables, re attached the wires and thought brill, only to find out the doors unlock themselves! Heard alot of people mention the "wiring loom", looked in my haynes manual and there is nothing but a description on what central locking is! So if anyone can tell me what it is and how to fix it, i would be extremly grateful.
[/quote]

without being rude but if you need to know what it is then i wouldnt attempt to fix it youreself not trying to be sexist or anything like that the loom has been chopped basically and the guys tried to wire it up badly there are 2 options that is remove the door panel and check youre haynes manual and look at the wiring diagram in the rear and try to figure out what hes dione or go to a scrapyard and find one with the central locking make a diagram of the colours then cut the plug off with 3 inches of spare wire and rewire it based on the colours you drew.

if the car didnt come with central locking originally then yo will have issues and it may be that it needs to go to an auto electrician

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615