Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mondeo 1.8Td Engine Stalled
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
dazza101
hi

have this car problem what you think?

Car started as normal, drove a short distance then, stalled. Starter turns but does not turn engine. If i engage first gear and turn key car jumps once then same as above. I'm thinking clutch has failed, not cable because there is still resistance on clutch pedel. Unless its hydralic? Or and i hope not, timing belt? Ford mondeo, 1997, 1.8 TD with 120,000 miles on clock if that helps?

cheers

daz
stef123
[quote name='dazza101' date='27 August 2010 - 07:41 AM' timestamp='1282890704' post='94809']
hi

have this car problem what you think?

Car started as normal, drove a short distance then, stalled. Starter turns but does not turn engine. If i engage first gear and turn key car jumps once then same as above. I'm thinking clutch has failed, not cable because there is still resistance on clutch pedel. Unless its hydralic? Or and i hope not, timing belt? Ford mondeo, 1997, 1.8 TD with 120,000 miles on clock if that helps?

cheers

daz
[/quote]

when you say stalled, i take it you mean it just cut out on its own accord? sounds like a timing belt failure to me but to find out for sure you would really need to remove the covers and have a look.
i dont think its a clutch problem? i think your clutch is hydraulic though
looking at autodata, the belt should be replaced at every 40k miles or 5 years which ever comes first along with the injection pump belt.
CAR PARTS EXPRESS
as above sounding like belt failure...common on the 1.8tds...the pulleys fail leading to belt snap and this snaps the camshaft leading to a new head needed....fingers crossed its not that
dazza101
[quote name='CAR PARTS EXPRESS' date='27 August 2010 - 10:04 AM' timestamp='1282902854' post='94822']
as above sounding like belt failure...common on the 1.8tds...the pulleys fail leading to belt snap and this snaps the camshaft leading to a new head needed....fingers crossed its not that
[/quote]

guess what? belt shreeded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! think im looking at a 500+ bill? RIP mondeo :(
stef123
[quote name='dazza101' date='27 August 2010 - 11:58 AM' timestamp='1282906136' post='94833']
guess what? belt shreeded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! think im looking at a £500+ bill? RIP mondeo :(
[/quote]

:( handy with spanners? engine swap?
dazza101
[quote name='stef123' date='27 August 2010 - 11:17 AM' timestamp='1282907265' post='94837']
:( handy with spanners? engine swap?
[/quote]

whats a spanner???? not bad with the old tools but time and money tighter then a Mr ducks arse around at His inlaws. Student you see.
stef123
[quote name='dazza101' date='27 August 2010 - 01:18 PM' timestamp='1282910922' post='94846']
whats a spanner???? not bad with the old tools but time and money tighter then a Mr ducks arse around at His inlaws. Student you see.
[/quote]

well ok fair point :lol:

best of luck, hope you can get it sorted? or find another car soon :)

out of interest, where in fife are you from :)

Full Colour Version: Mondeo 1.8Td Engine Stalled
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615