Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1999 Galaxy Rear Brake Caliper Piston
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Galaxy Club
Big Al
Afternoon Chaps
Mid way through replacing the rear pads on the trusty old 1999 Galaxy. Old ones off, caliper cleaned new pads ready but I cannot get the piston to compress back to make space for the thicker pads.
I have released the handbrake cable from the caliper, I have a trigger clamp on the piston and the rear of the unit, I have tried to release the bleed screw with a one man braking kit but I can't get fluid through the bleed nipple and the piston won't compress.
Any bright ideas that don't require a full strip down of the caliper etc.

Regards
from a puzzled Big Al

Just found the bit about rotating the piston cloclwise with a pair of pliers whilst pushing the piston. Piston is turning but not getting much movement back into the caliper. Any suggestions????
stef123
[quote name='Big Al' date='18 September 2010 - 12:19 PM' timestamp='1284808182' post='97686']
Afternoon Chaps
Mid way through replacing the rear pads on the trusty old 1999 Galaxy. Old ones off, caliper cleaned new pads ready but I cannot get the piston to compress back to make space for the thicker pads.
I have released the handbrake cable from the caliper, I have a trigger clamp on the piston and the rear of the unit, I have tried to release the bleed screw with a one man braking kit but I can't get fluid through the bleed nipple and the piston won't compress.
Any bright ideas that don't require a full strip down of the caliper etc.

Regards
from a puzzled Big Al
[/quote]

you ideally need a wind back tool, you need to turn the pistons as you push them back in
Big Al
[quote name='stef123' date='18 September 2010 - 12:29 PM' timestamp='1284808792' post='97687']
you ideally need a wind back tool, you need to turn the pistons as you push them back in
[/quote]

Just found a third hand and success. Thanks for the advice. On to second brake caliper now. Cheers
Big Al
[quote name='Big Al' date='18 September 2010 - 12:49 PM' timestamp='1284809982' post='97688']
Just found a third hand and success. Thanks for the advice. On to second brake caliper now. Cheers
[/quote]

off side piston proving very difficult to retract anticipating removal of the caliper.

anybody else had a pig of a piston to retract. Think it's a job for a left hander which I'm not, with having to release the bleed nipple at the same time as turning.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.