Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Indicator Woes, Help Greatly Appreciated
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
dantheman
Hello folks,

I recently bought a 1999 Ford focus 1.6. I have been loving the car so far but have run into some trouble
with the left indicator.

I took it to a garage and they couldn't seem to find the problem on the first look.
They said the fuses and grounds were all fine on the car.

The right indicator works perfectly every time but the left indicator is only working every now and then.
I have checked all the fuses in the fuse box and they all seem fine.
All the indicator lights work as i have tested them with the hazards.

i have routed some audio cables through the underside of the driver footwell and i took off the underside shroud to do that.
Have i disturbed a wire of some sort? I also removed a ground screw(which i later reattached) from the backside rear of the boot to ground a sub. the sub has not yet been connected to the battery.

I am wondering if it could be the stalk itself?

Any help or previous experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dan
H3lly
I would check the bulb contacts for corrosion or rust. A bit of sandpaper usually does the job.
dantheman
[quote name='H3lly' date='24 September 2010 - 04:15 PM' timestamp='1285340738' post='98561']
I would check the bulb contacts for corrosion or rust. A bit of sandpaper usually does the job.
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion - would this still apply if the bulbs are working (forgot to add that the bulbs light up when on hazards)

Is it easy to find the bulb contacts?

Thanks

Dan
MrrNoName
if the bulbs are working when you press the hazards then its NOT the bulbs or light fittings themselves. it sounds like you have a loose connection or broken wire somewhere between the stalk and the lights. do all three indicators stop working on the left side?

i.e the front, side, and rear? or does just one stop.

if the bulbs are working everytime when you press the hazards the fault is not likely to be in the actual light wireing. more likely the stalk or wireing close to the stalk, does the stalk feel loose at all? is there any match between how hard you press the stalk and whether it works or not?

As you have been disturbing wires its possible that you've caused one to become loose. Did the problem occur instantly after the sub was fitted?

unfortunatly faults like this can be a NIGHTMARE to find.

you could take it to an auto-electrician, they will have the equipment to trace the wires and see which ones loose.
alz
sounds like the contacts in the indicator arm are worn, there is no way to fix, the only way is to replace the arm,
e-bay should be your best bet.

try this link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Focus-Indicator-Arm-1998-2002-/310221951819?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item483aab534b
dantheman
[quote name='MrrNoName' date='25 September 2010 - 10:31 AM' timestamp='1285406507' post='98621']
if the bulbs are working when you press the hazards then its NOT the bulbs or light fittings themselves. it sounds like you have a loose connection or broken wire somewhere between the stalk and the lights. do all three indicators stop working on the left side?

i.e the front, side, and rear? or does just one stop.

if the bulbs are working everytime when you press the hazards the fault is not likely to be in the actual light wireing. more likely the stalk or wireing close to the stalk, does the stalk feel loose at all? is there any match between how hard you press the stalk and whether it works or not?

As you have been disturbing wires its possible that you've caused one to become loose. Did the problem occur instantly after the sub was fitted?

you could take it to an auto-electrician, they will have the equipment to trace the wires and see which ones loose.
[/quote]

Yeah all the indicators on the left hand side have stopped working. Also the dash light doesn't flash.
The stalk feels secure and i've tried applying varying amounts of pressure to the stalk but it doesn't trigger the indicator. I think it stopped working after I disconnected the panel under the steering wheel to route cables under (the one that houses the diagnostic port).
I think you're right about the wires near the stalk, how would i go about checking them?
alz
the easy way is to ask a friend who as the same car as you, and spend an hour swaping the arm to see if it works, as i said in my last posting, you will not be able to repair it, it will have to be replaced. just to point out, it is illegal to drive with faulty indicators.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Focus-Indicator-Arm-1998-2002-/310221951819?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item483aab534b&afsrc=1
Focus is cool
Try blasting some WD40 into the switch first , could help , no harm in trying.
MrrNoName
[quote name='Focus is cool' date='26 September 2010 - 04:54 PM' timestamp='1285515856' post='98722']
Try blasting some WD40 into the switch first , could help , no harm in trying.
[/quote]

if as you say the problem happened after you "disconnected the panel under the steering wheel to route cables under" I doubt its the actual stalk (unless you broke the stalk when disconnecting the panel :blink: :huh: )

not sure how to check the wireing, sorry
H3lly
I wouldn't go spraying wd40 in there wtf like! 0_o
Focus is cool
[quote name='H3lly' date='27 September 2010 - 01:24 AM' timestamp='1285546484' post='98825']
I wouldn't go spraying wd40 in there wtf like! 0_o
[/quote]

Why? Pray tell
H3lly
It may be useful for freeing seize bolts and whatnot but definitely not for cleaning electrical contacts as it's non conductive. It will probably create a problem like short out a circuit. Only use electrical contact spray on electrics folks. :)
Focus is cool
[quote name='H3lly' date='27 September 2010 - 05:00 PM' timestamp='1285602623' post='98883']
It may be useful for freeing seize bolts and whatnot but definitely not for cleaning electrical contacts as it's non conductive. It will probably create a problem like short out a circuit. Only use electrical contact spray on electrics folks. :)
[/quote]

Hi

Sorry but I have to disagree , WD40 is good for switches etc , it definitely DOES work I have used it on motorcycle switchgear it also acts as a lubricant.

While switch/contact cleaner is the recognised stuff , I think most people are likely to have a tin of WD40.

Cheers
artscot79
[quote name='Focus is cool' date='27 September 2010 - 06:03 PM' timestamp='1285606427' post='98898']
Hi

Sorry but I have to disagree , WD40 is good for switches etc , it definitely DOES work I have used it on motorcycle switchgear it also acts as a lubricant.

While switch/contact cleaner is the recognised stuff , I think most people are likely to have a tin of WD40.

Cheers
[/quote]

it sounds to me youve pulled a wire from the stalk connector
dantheman
[quote name='artscot79' date='27 September 2010 - 08:23 PM' timestamp='1285614794' post='98922']
it sounds to me youve pulled a wire from the stalk connector
[/quote]

Ok i replaced the stalk with another one from ebay (cost me 4). It was fine for the day, left indicator was working perfectly.

The next day, the indicator is back to working every now and again.

I'm going to have a go at wiggling some wire today.

I might be clutching at straws here but it seems to be working more when its raining out. Would that have anything to do with the bulb contacts?

I really dont know how to fix the wiring, but i will check if its loose on the connecter to the stalk.
MrrNoName
still sounds like a bad connection in the wireing near / at the indicator stalk to me :P
alz
Check the Indicator relay for lose contacts.
dantheman

OK i checked all the wires going into the plug, only one seemed to be a tiny bit more loose than the others(they all seemed pretty tight). I wiggled it when the left indicator was on and nothing happened. the left indicator remained operational.

Does anybody know what wires are related to the left side indicators?

Maybe i could use a multimeter and do a continuity test?

Had a look at the wiring here and again, everything feels fine and well connected.

had the car audio cables running right next to other cables here(the underside of the remote locking receiver unit). i moved them more under the carpet and away from these cables.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.