Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clunking Steering
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
wigstonfocus
Hi
Newbie here. Can anyone help. I have a 2003 1.8tddi estate. It is a typical ex fleet car - 130k with a full history in reasonable condition throughout. I bought it in May to use as a second car/ trailer tow car, and I have been very pleased with it. The only problem is the steering. While in motion, if you try to make a small adjustment to the steering direction there is a pronounced initial stiffness and resistance, and audible clunk. Continued further steering input is smooth. I have checked the fluid levels, and had the front end up on stands and checked the rack gaitors all the other steering joints and the struts and there appears to be no excessive wear anywhere. However, this cannot replicate the on troad performance. With no weight on the wheels, the steering action is smooth all the time. Can anyone had any similar problems? Anything else I should be looking at? My gut feeling is that the rack is worn. What is involved in replacing the rack?
Any help would be much appreciated. many thanks . Clive.
alz
Hi and wecome

if this link is what your car is doing, it needs a new rack, take it to a ford dealer for them to do, dont use a recon rack from an auto shop thinking that you will save money, you will not, i'am telling you this because i have had this problem with my sons car, it cost me hundereds of pounds with recon racks, they lasted about two weeks then it was the same, both racks end in the same way, in the end we took it to ford cost around £600 and the job was a good one, no problems since.

have a look at this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=HK&hl=zh-TW&v=ATjdVu1Ff-Q
mross
I have had exactly the same problem on a previous focus some years ago, and i can assure you that Alz is right its defo the steering rack. Reconditioned racks are never the same and as Alz said a waste of time and money, new is the only way to go on this one.
wigstonfocus
Thanks for the suggestions. I was pricing up recon racks, but perhaps i will go the new route. Thinking asbout it, how do you "recondition" a steerng rack anyway? Some of them look like all they have had is a clean up and a lick of paint!

Full Colour Version: Clunking Steering
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.