Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Won't Start - Clicking Sound
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
focusdriver
Yesterday - my 55 Focus wouldn't start at lunchtime when I was nipping out from work for a bit. Everything seemed fine, I waited for the diesel indicator to turn off but when I turned the key the final notch there was just one loud clicking sound and then nothing else. I tried about 7-8 times and it finally worked.

It started fine again last night and this morning but I've just tried it now and it's not starting again. I tried lots of times..

Any ideas? I'm a layman - so think it might be the starter but any tips on getting it started so I can get it to a garage?

BTW what do you do if you can't even get it started to get it to a garage?

Thanks
alz
[quote name='focusdriver' date='29 September 2010 - 07:51 PM' timestamp='1285785701' post='99174']
Yesterday - my 55 Focus wouldn't start at lunchtime when I was nipping out from work for a bit. Everything seemed fine, I waited for the diesel indicator to turn off but when I turned the key the final notch there was just one loud clicking sound and then nothing else. I tried about 7-8 times and it finally worked.

It started fine again last night and this morning but I've just tried it now and it's not starting again. I tried lots of times..

Any ideas? I'm a layman - so think it might be the starter but any tips on getting it started so I can get it to a garage?

BTW what do you do if you can't even get it started to get it to a garage?

Thanks
[/quote]

it sounds like the battery is tired and on its way out, check it with a volt meter, you can also try and jump start it, this will tell you if its the battery
artscot79
[quote name='alz' date='29 September 2010 - 08:02 PM' timestamp='1285786374' post='99180']
it sounds like the battery is tired and on its way out, check it with a volt meter, you can also try and jump start it, this will tell you if its the battery
[/quote]

clicking =starter motor has a dodgy earth or its on its way out
focusdriver
Alz, I had a new battery and alternator just under a year ago - and the lights and everything are working fine.

I was thinking the starter myself. Do some garages come out and change it if you can't get there? Hopefully it might start in the morning.

Thanks again.

Full Colour Version: Won't Start - Clicking Sound
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615