Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Focus That Revs Its Self
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
jonn e g
Hello, I have a V reg 2.0l focus.
Its alway hung on to the revs when I've changed gear, but I think all Zetecs do this (my brother mondy did), but now its started to rev its self up. I can be driving along and take my foot off the throttle and it stays at the same speed. I can dip the clutch and the revs will rise. Today it reved itself to over 4000 rpm and its getting juicy to run now. It also does it in traffic. Also it some times bogs and then revs itself. Any ideas good people?
I was thinking it could but an injector getting stuck open? Many thanks for looking,. Jon.
MrrNoName
i had this EXACT problem on my zetec fiesta last year. happened exactly as you described.. revving when dipping the clutch and holding the revs when you release the accelerator pedal. I scanned it for codes and found "Throttle Position Sensor out of range" when unplugging the battery to reset the ECU the code AND PROBLEM was gone, but when driving it again both came back after about 1 week of driving.

I found that when unplugging the throttle position sensor the car ran rough but the problem was gone!

when researching the problem I found that it was not uncommon but seems to be a ghost in the machine, and is caused by one or multiple sensors giving incorrect values. I started by replacing the throttle position sensor (as it was right at the front of the car and cheap to purchase) unfortunatly this did not cure the problem.

other people mentioned that it could be bad/corroded wireing causing too much resistance and lowering the voltage (effectivly changing the value of the sensor) but i never did get to the bottom of the problem, i ended up just unplugging the battery for 10 mins once a week

sorry cant be more help :(
jonn e g
[quote name='MrrNoName' date='07 October 2010 - 04:01 PM' timestamp='1286463095' post='100168']
i had this EXACT problem on my zetec fiesta last year. happened exactly as you described.. revving when dipping the clutch and holding the revs when you release the accelerator pedal. I scanned it for codes and found "Throttle Position Sensor out of range" when unplugging the battery to reset the ECU the code AND PROBLEM was gone, but when driving it again both came back after about 1 week of driving.

I found that when unplugging the throttle position sensor the car ran rough but the problem was gone!

when researching the problem I found that it was not uncommon but seems to be a ghost in the machine, and is caused by one or multiple sensors giving incorrect values. I started by replacing the throttle position sensor (as it was right at the front of the car and cheap to purchase) unfortunatly this did not cure the problem.

other people mentioned that it could be bad/corroded wireing causing too much resistance and lowering the voltage (effectivly changing the value of the sensor) but i never did get to the bottom of the problem, i ended up just unplugging the battery for 10 mins once a week

sorry cant be more help :(
[/quote]
jonn e g
Its behaving at the minute, but if it strats again Ill try that and let you know how I get on. Cheers for that.

Full Colour Version: Focus That Revs Its Self
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615