Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pcm Update
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
artscot79
well the car was playing up the other day idle was a bit lumpy and the engine just didnt feel smooth so popped it into my local ford for a pcm update 83 total p[rice plus a health check and i was pleasantly surprised it took about an hour and a bit to do but the idle was sorted the engine was smooth its a lot smoother cruising now the car feels totally different ull as well so if anyone hasnt had it done for a long time its worth having it checked
catch
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1287131166' post='101025']
well the car was playing up the other day idle was a bit lumpy and the engine just didnt feel smooth so popped it into my local ford for a pcm update £83 total p[rice plus a health check and i was pleasantly surprised it took about an hour and a bit to do but the idle was sorted the engine was smooth its a lot smoother cruising now the car feels totally different ull as well so if anyone hasnt had it done for a long time its worth having it checked
[/quote]

So your saying the PCM update fixed the lumpy idle and rough running engine. Did you know it needed updating or was it a case of a dealer advising you it could possibly sort out those issues. Or did you just think what the hell @ £83 it's worth a punt.

What does PCM stand for by the way

Edit: Volvo dealers offer free health checks, I suppose the logic behind that is to try and pick up a bit of work. The old cynic in me all ways ponders ....would unscrupulous dealers "find jobs"
artscot79
[quote name='catch' timestamp='1287132439' post='101028']
So your saying the PCM update fixed the lumpy idle and rough running engine. Did you know it needed updating or was it a case of a dealer advising you it could possibly sort out those issues. Or did you just think what the hell @ 83 it's worth a punt.

What does PCM stand for by the way

Edit: Volvo dealers offer free health checks, I suppose the logic behind that is to try and pick up a bit of work. The old cynic in me all ways ponders ....would unscrupulous dealers "find jobs"
[/quote]

Every Ford PCM - Power Control Module not only improves your power, it makes your engine purr like a kitten, so it can run more efficiently for better fuel economy.

i thought what the hell ive replaced coils and leads lets give it a punt and see what happens it basically runs the engine tunes it has all the settings the dealer wont tell you that you need it done i just heard it could fix a lot of issues so thought what the hell lets get it done and see and theres a huge difference a more responsive smoother engine that idles like its meant to
ford focus edge
By a rough idle what do u mean because mine sits at 795 easy enough but when your coming to a stop at a junction etc it drops WAYY down to about 500 and then seems to blip its self back upto 795 again (could be just a power drain from the battery). Also a smoother power delivery would be nice ive got nothing till about 4000rpm in which case theres like a step and then it just pulls like a train from there on in would a pcm help these issues?
artscot79
[quote name='ford focus edge' timestamp='1287158591' post='101071']
By a rough idle what do u mean because mine sits at 795 easy enough but when your coming to a stop at a junction etc it drops WAYY down to about 500 and then seems to blip its self back upto 795 again (could be just a power drain from the battery). Also a smoother power delivery would be nice ive got nothing till about 4000rpm in which case theres like a step and then it just pulls like a train from there on in would a pcm help these issues?
[/quote]

795 is way too high its only meant to idlke at 700 plus or minus 30 rpm so 670-730 rpm max youre way over so thats an issue that needs fixed dropping to 500 is called an idle undershoot and it requires a pcm update to fix it the main issue is why its idling so high either someones tampered with the throttle stop screw to make it idle higher or you have an issue with a vacum hose or idle control valve or even the pcv valve the pcm will fix the undershoot as for the over idle yiou wont know when till its done asuming that idle speed is when the engines warm its definately too high
catch
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1287158191' post='101069']
Every Ford PCM - Power Control Module not only improves your power, it makes your engine purr like a kitten, so it can run more efficiently for better fuel economy.

i thought what the hell ive replaced coils and leads lets give it a punt and see what happens it basically runs the engine tunes it has all the settings the dealer wont tell you that you need it done i just heard it could fix a lot of issues so thought what the hell lets get it done and see and theres a huge difference a more responsive smoother engine that idles like its meant to
[/quote]

Well worth the punt then, I will bear it in mind if I have any issues like that. I wonder if the dealer I bought it from, did mine prior to hand over?....some how I doubt it.

Full Colour Version: Pcm Update
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.