Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking About Getting A Focus.
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
Irish Mike
Hello. I'm currently in the process of getting a new car and thinking about getting a Focus.

Being a Ford forum I hoping you can answer some questions.

The Focus models Iíve been looking at are the 5 Door Hatchback 1.6TDCi or 1.8TDCi models. Iíll most likely end up getting a model from 2004/05 possibly 2006 if I can find one at a good price.

What are the main things to look out for when buying?

What are the service intervals in months and mileage?

How easy are they to service yourself?

Thanks
MrrNoName
Hi,

I own a 2006 1.8 TDCI titanium focus, personally I definitly recommend the 1.8 over the 1.6 as the 1.8 doesnt have a DPF (diesel particulate filter)

both the 1.6 and 2.0 litre diesel models do, do a search on here and you will see people get LOOADS of problems with DPF's. especially on cars with higher milage as DPF's usually need to be replaced at 70,000 miles ish and can be REALLY expensive. also if you dont reguarly do long journeys the DPF can clog (as the exhaust doesnt get hot enough to naturally regenerate the DPF) causing performance issues and needing a forced regeneration which is not cheap. also DPF's require an additive to standard diesel which is £££ per litre!

so firstly look out for if the car has a DPF or not.

my focus has a service interval of 12,500 miles or 1 year and changing the oil on it is really easy. if your thinking of getting one with higher mileage check to see if the cambelt has been replaced as its important and expensive do get done.

If possible i would try and get one with a heated front windscreen as I think the blowers arnt very good at de-misting the window, that might just be mine though

hope this helps
ilanbutler
Good shout, defiantly get a focus with a heated front window as the blowers are useless. I takes an age to clear the window without one .
adzmcp
The DPF is upto you as there will be some new road tax prices out next year and none DPF Diesels will cost more to tax than ones with because they are classed as cleaner. I would say go drive both I have a 1.6tdci 109ps and its exellent no trouble at all. The 1.8tdci is a very old engine has now been phased out by Ford completely because with the 1.6 having not much less ps with lower tax and slightly better mpg there was no real need for the 1.8 anymore. Hence now on a Mondeo they do a 2.0tdci 115ps to replace the 1.8. I am not saying the 1.8 is rubbish just do research first and drive both
Lenny
ive got a 1.6tdi bought it 2 weeks ago and its 3 months old 14,000km on the clock in the ford garage got it for 17,850euro with cruise control, heated windscreen, voice control and 16'' alloys.

previous car was 1.5petrol almera and the focus is doing nearly double the miles per tank that the almera done, Nissan almera on board computer displayed 720km per 55ltr tank and focus displays 997km on 55ltr tank. actually does 847km per tank on urban roads but still very good
Mooresey
I have a 55 reg 1.6 tdci LX, had it for about 3 weeks now and its great. Good amount of power and getting between 47 - 52 mttg urban driving. Had a 1.8 mk1 before that had heated front screen, thought I would miss it but when you put it to clear the front screen the ac comes on to help.

Full Colour Version: Thinking About Getting A Focus.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.