Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slow Tyre Deflation
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
Rob89
Hello

My Front and Rear right hand wheels are annoying me because they slowly deflate after a random period of time.
Say I pumped them up to 31 PSI to match the other 2 left hand wheels. Within about 1 week and a half I need to re-pump them as they sometimes reach as low as 15 PSI depending on the usage in that time period.

Now I have been to a local tyre dealer and they have told me that it is my steel rims. They are abit rusty and the bloke says rusty rims can cause slow deflation.
Is this true?

I'm assuming that this is not a punture even though I have been told it wasn't one.
Because puntures more or less deflate the tyre alot faster, right?

I've checked each tyre for visible nails etc, but nothing.

Anyone got any ideas? 2 new rims or 2 new tyres?

Thanks
artscot79
[quote name='Rob89' timestamp='1288890736' post='103228']
Hello

My Front and Rear right hand wheels are annoying me because they slowly deflate after a random period of time.
Say I pumped them up to 31 PSI to match the other 2 left hand wheels. Within about 1 week and a half I need to re-pump them as they sometimes reach as low as 15 PSI depending on the usage in that time period.

Now I have been to a local tyre dealer and they have told me that it is my steel rims. They are abit rusty and the bloke says rusty rims can cause slow deflation.
Is this true?

I'm assuming that this is not a punture even though I have been told it wasn't one.
Because puntures more or less deflate the tyre alot faster, right?

I've checked each tyre for visible nails etc, but nothing.

Anyone got any ideas? 2 new rims or 2 new tyres?

Thanks
[/quote]

you just need the rims sealed theres a seal on all alloy rims oiver time it wears and slowly lets air out but rarely do they go below 15 psi take it into any tyre place and tell them that its needing a new seal theyll do it for you less than 20 quid for both wheels
Rob89
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1288896658' post='103237']
you just need the rims sealed theres a seal on all alloy rims oiver time it wears and slowly lets air out but rarely do they go below 15 psi take it into any tyre place and tell them that its needing a new seal theyll do it for you less than 20 quid for both wheels
[/quote]

I think i forgot to mention mine are steel rims
mobile tyre services
Hi , I run a mobile tyre service covering county durham , I can tell you all your steel rim needs is a good wire brushing on the bead of the rim and then a liquid called bead seal painted on to the bead of the rim . I charge 10 per wheel for this which includes re balancing and a new valve . obviously I can't help you with your wheels as you are a bit far away but your local tyre dealer should be able to do this for you .
Just make sure that they wire brush your rims , some places just paint on the bead sealer and it won't last very long and you will have the same problem again .

I hope this helps you

regards

Matthew .

Mobile tyre services .
artscot79
[quote name='mobile tyre services' timestamp='1288968767' post='103321']
Hi , I run a mobile tyre service covering county durham , I can tell you all your steel rim needs is a good wire brushing on the bead of the rim and then a liquid called bead seal painted on to the bead of the rim . I charge 10 per wheel for this which includes re balancing and a new valve . obviously I can't help you with your wheels as you are a bit far away but your local tyre dealer should be able to do this for you .
Just make sure that they wire brush your rims , some places just paint on the bead sealer and it won't last very long and you will have the same problem again .

I hope this helps you

regards

Matthew .

Mobile tyre services .
[/quote]

i agree had this done on both steel and alloys when i had the same issue and it solved it easily
andy_1984
yup had this problem too.

my local tyre garage just took a grinder to mines (getting a new tyre on the spare) it was badly rusted.

tyres are tubeless so the rim of the tyre needs a nice smooth surface to sit on so air doesn't escape it. rust would create an uneven surface allowing air out :ph34r:

Full Colour Version: Slow Tyre Deflation
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.