Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing Transponder From Key
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
richardn
Hi, I've just bought a second hand Ka, but which only came with one key (with red transponder). We need two, and Ford quoted 124 for a replacement. NO WAY!

I ordered a plain, non-transponder, replacement off the web for 10, and the plan was to remove the transponder from the supplied key, tape it under the steering column, and we're back in business with 2 keys.

But now I find I can't get the red transponder out of the supplied key, no matter how hard I pry away at it. Are there any techniques to get this out? I don't want to damage it, or I would then be in real trouble!

I suppose I could tape the whole key under the steering column, buy a second replacement key, (still saving 100) but that wouldn't be so satisfactory

Thanks
Stephen Leak
[quote name='richardn' timestamp='1289046358' post='103398']
Hi, I've just bought a second hand Ka, but which only came with one key (with red transponder). We need two, and Ford quoted 124 for a replacement. NO WAY!

I ordered a plain, non-transponder, replacement off the web for 10, and the plan was to remove the transponder from the supplied key, tape it under the steering column, and we're back in business with 2 keys.

But now I find I can't get the red transponder out of the supplied key, no matter how hard I pry away at it. Are there any techniques to get this out? I don't want to damage it, or I would then be in real trouble!

I suppose I could tape the whole key under the steering column, buy a second replacement key, (still saving 100) but that wouldn't be so satisfactory

Thanks
[/quote]

I have a bad feeling that, once it clicks into place, it's there for keeps. It is a security device, after all.

All my plans to upgrade my keys involve transferring the chip from the old worn key to a new one, but by cutting the chip out.

Full Colour Version: Removing Transponder From Key
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.