Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Funny Gauge Needles
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
lucas1787
Hi, I have noticed that in the mornings when I start my car([i]Focus 1.6 Zetec[/i]), the gauge needles fly off the scale and then back to start and then act normal.If I turn the key to lights on, they act normal,its only when I turn the key they fly right round and back.Im thinking poss battery issue????. Has anyone had this or know why its happeaning.Thanks
H3lly
When the gauge needles sweep on their own, it usually means either the CHT sensor cable (located in middle of spark plugs) is in contact with the HT leads (that go to spark plugs). Once you seperate them so there not making contact using a cable tie etc they should be ok. The other suggestion would be a faulty vehicle speed sensor.
artscot79
[quote name='H3lly' timestamp='1290439989' post='104582']
When the gauge needles sweep on their own, it usually means either the CHT sensor cable (located in middle of spark plugs) is in contact with the HT leads (that go to spark plugs). Once you seperate them so there not making contact using a cable tie etc they should be ok. The other suggestion would be a faulty vehicle speed sensor.
[/quote]

the dials sweeping is a diagnostic mode and usually points to an incorrect battery type ie a lead battery instead of a lead/silver calcim battery or a faulty battery cell even kwik fit will stick the tester on and tell you if you have a faulty cell
lucas1787
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1290441876' post='104586']
the dials sweeping is a diagnostic mode and usually points to an incorrect battery type ie a lead battery instead of a lead/silver calcim battery or a faulty battery cell even kwik fit will stick the tester on and tell you if you have a faulty cell
[/quote]
Had battery tested and is ok,but when the cars warm, it tends not to do it.Any other suggestions???

Full Colour Version: Funny Gauge Needles
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615