Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windscreen Washer
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
catriona1
hello, any help anyone can give me will be appreciated. I have a 2003 ford fiesta 1.4 tdci. the windscreen washers are not working, i have checked they are clean and the wash stuff is not frozen, the cables are fine. I no longer hear the whirr noise when i push the stalk and am assuming it is the pump. the windscreen wipers still work so it cant be the motor or fuse, i have checked the fuse box just in case but they look fine to me. however i am confused by some of the things i have read, some say motor some say pump but i think they mean the same thing. i have over used it recently due to the weather (16 inches of snow here!) all help appreciated. thanks very much
Stephen Leak
The motor and pump are a combined unit. The motor drives a little propeller which oves the water. They are usually located on the water reservoir (and therefore tricky to get at).

The fact that you can't hear the motor whirring makes me suspect that either the motor has burned out or the pump is simply clogged up, which is stopping the motor going around. The latter is more common.

It's maintenance by replacement, I'm afraid. And simple enough to do - once you get at it, though.
artscot79
[quote name='Stephen Leak' timestamp='1291582043' post='105930']
The motor and pump are a combined unit. The motor drives a little propeller which oves the water. They are usually located on the water reservoir (and therefore tricky to get at).

The fact that you can't hear the motor whirring makes me suspect that either the motor has burned out or the pump is simply clogged up, which is stopping the motor going around. The latter is more common.

It's maintenance by replacement, I'm afraid. And simple enough to do - once you get at it, though.
[/quote]

the washer fluid doesnt freeze the pump does so until the cars been driven and got really warm dont change anything best advice open the resevoir for the fluid and blow into it a few times any ice in the pump usually moves and then try it if still no joy youll need a new pump if its only happened since the cold weather suspect the pump is frozen

Full Colour Version: Windscreen Washer
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.