Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Better Fuel Or Additives?
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
WHITEyy118
Recently I have had rather a lot of white smoke coming from my Focus 1.8TDCi 56reg upon startup when cold. Also the engine revs flucuate on idle, higher than normal, and the glow plug indicator stays on for a good 5 seconds. Now I had a problem a few weeks ago which was very similar so I thought it might be the same again and so had took it to a Ford Dealer were they said they'd diagnose it for free, as they said they had fixed the problem before.

Now what I was told when I went to pick it up was that the car is fine and no codes or anything they could see was wrong. However they did say that it's most likely due to the very cold weather and that the diesel was 'waxing' up. He then asked were do I usually fill up with diesel to which I replied Sainsbury's. Then he gave a whole speech about how supermarket fuels aren't as good as say BP or Shell and explained why.

So here is my question. Do I just use the suggested fuel like he said and ALSO add some additives like REDEX or Wynns which do things like injector cleaners? Which claim to clean injectors, reduce knocking and increase MPG etc. Last night I filled up with V-power diesel to see if there if there is any difference.
tommy.h
Hi Whitey

Yes there is a difference i only use BP or SHELL & every other fill up i put MILLERS fuel additive in.
FORD actually recommend BP.

tom
WHITEyy118
[quote name='tommy.h' timestamp='1291991673' post='106318']
Hi Whitey

Yes there is a difference i only use BP or SHELL & every other fill up i put MILLERS fuel additive in.
FORD actually recommend BP.

tom
[/quote]

Do you use the BP and Shell normal Diesel or do you use the higher quality diesel?

I've read many reviews on fuel additives and apart from the 50/50 decision as to whether or not they work the best one when used has been MILLERS. Now I'm not after just increased MPG, although would be nice, I'm just looking for less smoke ie. better idle and better performance in lower gears.

So do you recommend I used both better fuel and additives?
johnH
hi, in my own experiances i always use shell fuelsave diesel in my focus. no point in putting the higher stuff in as it is not a performance car...such as a bmw or audi, there will be no benefit.

from what i know about shell and bp fuels they put their own additives in so the use of redex and other brands is pointless and damned right money wastage. however the supermarket fuels such as asda, tesco, sainsburys and morrisons, there are less of these additives, so if you constantly use those it would be beneficial to use the redex and the such like.

to get the best mpg out of your car just do the general things such as keeping your tires at the right pressure (front and rear), correct grade of oil and changed at regular intervals. and not driving with a heavy right foot (like we all do at somepoint).

in my own opinion i always use shell, but when im stuck and need fuel i do not put more then 10 worth of supermarket fuel in. from that and from what the trip computer says, driving down the a1 it claims i am doing 57mpg. and im not driving like a granny...
WHITEyy118
Fair point. However up until yesterday 90% of the time I have used supermarkets to fill up and so do you think because of that it will be beneficial to add some additives to help clean the injectors etc? Or over time will the Shell/BP diesel have the same effect?
tommy.h
Hi Whitey

i use basic BP/SHELL fuels as johnh says they are not performance cars so no need to go to the expense.
however i do use MILLERS and it does make a difference.
gives a smoother idle and also a slight difference to performance while keeping everything clean.

tom

p.s. it will take a few weeks at least to notice any difference if you have been using supermarket fuel.
however if you also use MILLERS it could be sooner.
WHITEyy118
OK thanks for the help. I think I will give MILLERS a go as it's only 12 quid and so no big deal if it doesn't work. Some might say its not worth it but with the slight problems I'm getting now it can only get better, fingers crossed.
tommy.h
Hi Whitey

you don't have to use it in every tank. maybe every other.
but suggest that first time you thro in amount suggested for a full tank but only fill it half full.

tom
WHITEyy118
Just an update.

After filling with Shell V-Power Diesel the car seems to run a lot better, idle revs seem less eratic and I seem to be getting more MPG. I've also got some MILLERS to try but atm as I still have half a tank I'm yet to try it.

Here is a quick question though. How come you have to use it before filling up and not after? I'm just intrigued.
mikehaggis
Hi Just come across this post and everyone seems to have missed the obvious. When the car is started there is white smoke from the exhaust, this means there is water in the fuel system or you may have problems with the head gasket. If the problem is clearing after warming up it tends to point toward water in the fuel,which means you need to change your fuel supplier and also ensure that you dont fill up when it is raining heavily. Wax in the fuel would cause blockages which would either stall the car or prevcent starting altogether. On the subject of supermarket fuels I genarally run on these fuels since most of the supermarkets in my area are supplied by Shell and BP anyway!!
Addatives are OK BUT can cause problems with catalytic converters if they are fitted to your exhaust.
By the way even if you change suppliers it may take some time for the water to clear from the system.
Hope this helps,
Regards Mick.
tommy.h
Hi Whitey

just to answer your question. its put in before becauser then when you fill up it will mix properly.

tom
taffg
maybe the white smoke on start is just water and ice boiling off in the many moisture traps in a modern day exhaust system. pull up on a cold night, very hot exhaust and cooling air, condensation, then ice. boils off no white smoke! i would hope ford techs would have noted head gasket problem. large quantities of water in fuel system would cause fuel filter to block by ice crystalisation and this is not on the hot end of the engine! just an observation. by the way i work on a refinery and i can tell you our refinery provides most of the supermarket tankers and competitor brand fuel suppliers with petrol and diesel, however i cannot confirm wether additives are added to specific fuel loads for differing forecourt suppliers. seems to me like the problem on whiteys car is well on the way to being sorted. i guess you "pay for what you get".

Full Colour Version: Better Fuel Or Additives?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.