Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noisy Abs
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
Parko
Hi , I have a 59 plate Focus Zetec 1.8 Petrol . Driving around in the snow recently the ABS and ESP have been kicking in quite a lot . I know all ABS systems make a noise when they activate , but this one seems unusually loud , It makes a noise like someone dragging a saucepan lid along a brick wall ! , Apart from that it works fine . Does anyone else notice their ABS being so loud ?
jeebowhite
Mine on the 55 plate isn't that bad! it could just be surface rust developing due to the snow and the cold air! that would then cause a bit more friction and noise?

I would get the brake pads checked amongst other things, and make sure that the disk isn't damaged - its unlikely but its always worth checking when you are uncertain!
artscot79
[quote name='jeebowhite' timestamp='1293828497' post='108261']
Mine on the 55 plate isn't that bad! it could just be surface rust developing due to the snow and the cold air! that would then cause a bit more friction and noise?

I would get the brake pads checked amongst other things, and make sure that the disk isn't damaged - its unlikely but its always worth checking when you are uncertain!
[/quote]

sounds like as said the pads scraping the surface rust from the disk
Parko
Thanks for the replies
The brake pads are OK , The car has only done 9000 miles. The noise only happens when the ABS actually operates, for instance if I brake too hard on ice etc , also the EPS light on the dash illuminates. When braking normally , or even hard on a good surface there is no noise at all . I have heard the same noise in other cars when the ABS kicks in, just not so loud !
jmurray01
As long as the ABS works fine, there shouldn't be a problem.

I can't really help with your question though, as neither the '97 Fiesta or '98 Rover 216 has ABS!
Jouxy
The noise is quite normal and proves the system is working correctly. I work on all the ford range and this is perfectly normal.
artscot79
[quote name='jmurray01' timestamp='1293919994' post='108323']
As long as the ABS works fine, there shouldn't be a problem.

I can't really help with your question though, as neither the '97 Fiesta or '98 Rover 216 has ABS!
[/quote]

my old passat did that it varied depending on the type of road surface and is perfectly normal
jeebowhite
As above, its normal for some cars to be louder, some will kick more of a grunt when you make them work. Varying differences such as pressures in the housing, the brake pad compounds can also affect the noise levels.

All cars are different, but if its only on ABS don't worry, and if the issue goes the same way the snow did, then even better!
Parko
Thanks guys . The snow and ice has gone for now , I guess the noise is just a feature of the ABS on this car ! It certainly makes you aware that the ABS is working.

Full Colour Version: Noisy Abs
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.