Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metal Short-Screech When Setting Off/lifting Clutch In 1St
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
hora
This is pronounced/easily noticeable when the car is cold for circa the first 15mins.

Its a sort of metal(?) short screech and normally happens when I'm lifting the clutch to set off in 1st gear. It may happen when the car is fully warmed up however I can't hear it.

In addition, when sat at idle if I dip the clutch- the engine changes note (becomes slightly quieter).

In addition (I think this is a seperate issue?):

On full lock to lock whilst reversing there is a groan/moan (from the powersteering pump?). Checked the level- its full/no leaking/drop.

The moan sometimes continues even when Iíve straightened the wheel and carry on backwards (i.e. reversing onto my drive).
The moan only occurs when reversing- not full lock in 1st gear.

What could it be?
taffg
[quote name='hora' timestamp='1294676060' post='109328']
This is pronounced/easily noticeable when the car is cold for circa the first 15mins.

Its a sort of metal(?) short screech and normally happens when I'm lifting the clutch to set off in 1st gear. It may happen when the car is fully warmed up however I can't hear it.

In addition, when sat at idle if I dip the clutch- the engine changes note (becomes slightly quieter).

In addition (I think this is a seperate issue?):

On full lock to lock whilst reversing there is a groan/moan (from the powersteering pump?). Checked the level- its full/no leaking/drop.

The moan sometimes continues even when Iíve straightened the wheel and carry on backwards (i.e. reversing onto my drive).
The moan only occurs when reversing- not full lock in 1st gear.

What could it be?
[/quote]

with regards the metal screech it could be the the clutch release bearing, it could be wearing and drying.
how do you know its the power steering pump making the noise, just a note do not lock your wheels on full steering lock for long (five seconds max) as this may well cause damage too your power steering pump and or steering rack.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.