Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weak Points When You Drive Your Focus Over A Roundabout
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
jjojjas
Evening guys.
A couple of weeks ago I slid (aprox 15/20 mph) over a roundabout (head on, wheels straight, but driver side hit first) with a sloped curb around it. A reasonable bang....like hitting a big pot hole.
Then I slid over said roundabout....across the road.....and hit the passenger side alloy side on to the curb on the path. Cracking my alloy wheel.
So the driver side got head on impact (like hitting a brick at 20mph)and the passenger side got side on impact.....all at the front of the car.

I have a new alloy on and I have had the traching done,but its not right. When I turn the wheel either left or right when on a long sweeping bend (or really big roundabout) I get an almost wheel bearing type noise...but not :lol: :blink: Sounds more CV joint in truth.
Now, I'm doubting that the impact would have knackered a cv joint, but I think the side on impact may have knocked everything off course slighty, maybe pushing in the bottom of the hub (everything looks ok) and making the cv run out of true.

Im going to get the other three wheels balanced, then probably change the whole bottom wishbones (pair) and the tie rod ends. Then go from there. If thats still making the noise after a tracking then I'll look at the bearings and cv/drive shaft.

Does that sound logical to you? am I missing anything here? Please respond, I need to bounce this of someone as I live in a house full of women who judge a car by colour..... :huh:
Jas
artscot79
[quote name='jjojjas' timestamp='1294767092' post='109525']
Evening guys.
A couple of weeks ago I slid (aprox 15/20 mph) over a roundabout (head on, wheels straight, but driver side hit first) with a sloped curb around it. A reasonable bang....like hitting a big pot hole.
Then I slid over said roundabout....across the road.....and hit the passenger side alloy side on to the curb on the path. Cracking my alloy wheel.
So the driver side got head on impact (like hitting a brick at 20mph)and the passenger side got side on impact.....all at the front of the car.

I have a new alloy on and I have had the traching done,but its not right. When I turn the wheel either left or right when on a long sweeping bend (or really big roundabout) I get an almost wheel bearing type noise...but not :lol: :blink: Sounds more CV joint in truth.
Now, I'm doubting that the impact would have knackered a cv joint, but I think the side on impact may have knocked everything off course slighty, maybe pushing in the bottom of the hub (everything looks ok) and making the cv run out of true.

Im going to get the other three wheels balanced, then probably change the whole bottom wishbones (pair) and the tie rod ends. Then go from there. If thats still making the noise after a tracking then I'll look at the bearings and cv/drive shaft.

Does that sound logical to you? am I missing anything here? Please respond, I need to bounce this of someone as I live in a house full of women who judge a car by colour..... :huh:
Jas
[/quote]
normally ide hit the scrap yard and get 2 struts and replace the struts you could get new the fact it cracked an alloy would say you likely have a bent strut and track rod end and likely a drop link as well after that wishbones and joints
stef123
I wouldn't rule out the wheel bearing possibility, my mate had a similar situation but it was a month after the incident the wheel bearing started growling and making weird noises when cornering.
jjojjas
just found a bent wishbone so I'm trying that first, then get a 4-wheel alignment check to see whats going on. :blink:
stef123
[quote name='jjojjas' timestamp='1294860415' post='109691']
just found a bent wishbone so I'm trying that first, then get a 4-wheel alignment check to see whats going on. :blink:
[/quote]

well that might just have something to do with it lol
jjojjas
wishbone changed and car all straight......... but making noises!
Under heavy acceleration and on long sweeping bends it making a rumble. sounds like the diff :angry: i'm changing the full o/s shaft and cv's....fingers crossed :unsure:

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.