Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grumbling Noise In First With Feet Off The Pedals
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
stevesey
Hi all

Just bought an '04 1.8 TDDI.

Have noticed a slight "grumbling" noise in slow traffic queues if I pull away without using any gas and let the car pull itslef along at idle speed with my feet off the pedals. Noise goes as soon as I apply a little gas and speed up to > 1000rpm. Any ideas?

It's my first diesel, so I'm not sure if this could be diesel related (not like the nornal clatter thouugh) or gearbox related.

Thanks

Steve
artscot79
[quote name='stevesey' timestamp='1294776383' post='109561']
Hi all

Just bought an '04 1.8 TDDI.

Have noticed a slight "grumbling" noise in slow traffic queues if I pull away without using any gas and let the car pull itslef along at idle speed with my feet off the pedals. Noise goes as soon as I apply a little gas and speed up to > 1000rpm. Any ideas?

It's my first diesel, so I'm not sure if this could be diesel related (not like the nornal clatter thouugh) or gearbox related.

Thanks

Steve
[/quote]

the problems likely the fact youre letting the car pull away with no gas meaning the engine is being laboured
stevesey
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1294779010' post='109567']
the problems likely the fact youre letting the car pull away with no gas meaning the engine is being laboured
[/quote]
Well no other car I have owned has ever done this (ECU adjusts fuelling/throttle to maintain idle speed anyway - very little different from applying gentle right foot yourself, which you used to have to do to trickle along). Perhaps it's just a diesel thing?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.