Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Fluid
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
ou.nikki
[size="3"][font="Tahoma"]Hi, I just bought a 2nd hand ford focus estate 2.0 Ghia, Petrol, Maual, V 2000, mostly it seems fine has had quite a lot of work done on it all by Ford and been serviced by Ford with a full service history, was really pleased until I did a longer faster journey, when the car is slowing down in 5th gear and gets to just under 2000 revs, there is always a droning noise, until I change into 4th then the noise happens just above 2000 revs and is quieter the other gears are fine, so am assuming it is a gear box problem, logically I thought check the transmission fluid..............in my previous beautiful old Honda that got written off in the ice, there was a dipstick at the back of the engine and low down right pain to get to and to top up used to have to get a long roll of paper to pour the fluid down it was that awkward but I can't find anything like this on the Honda.

Would be very grateful for any help or advice, have just spent my last money on this and can't afford to be without a car.

MAny Thanks

Nikki :-)[/font][/size]
H3lly
If it's making a droning noise at speed I would be looking at the wheel bearing. There is a simple test you can do to check this. Jack up the front of the car at the side you hear the noise from, then rock the wheel on each axis. If there is any movement it's usually a good indicator of a worn wheel bearing. Ford will charge for this job so I would recommend finding a good independent mechanic.

It will be safe to drive on for the moment, but over time the noise will get louder and there is a risk of it seizing altogether. :)
ou.nikki
Hi thanks sorry I forgot to say it is only when I am slowing down from speed, if it was a wheel bearing I would have thought that would have been picked up on it's new MOT???

MAny Thanks

Nikki
H3lly
If it was a problem they would have failed it. The only way to properly test a vehicle is to drive it though. I'm sure if they had of it would have been marked as a fail.
ou.nikki
Thanks again ;-)

Would still like to know if anyone knows where the transmission fluid cap and dipstick are though please.

Nikki

Full Colour Version: Transmission Fluid
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615