Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel And Tyre Combinations
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > General Forums > Wheels & Tyres
kendo nagasaki
Hi, I am soon after getting a set of alloy wheels to fit my car, a 2000 1.8 ghia 4 dr saloon, now I have been on a couple of websites and have seen 2 different size tyre fitments on a 17" rim, one being a 40 profile the other being a 45 profile, now I know that ford use 2 different size wheels, one being a 14" steel wheel and the other being the std 15" alloy, the tyre height between the 2 being slightly different, as my speedo is running 5 mile out at 50mph (or is this normal) should I go for the taller profile tyre?
vinnyvangough
To b honest its not a great difference.

The 45 profile will be a more comfortable ride but the 40 will be better handling.
kendo nagasaki
just bought a myself a set of 16" alloys of ebay, with nearly new tyres on, for a very cheap 100, just need to get some wheel nuts now so I can fit them.
tommy.h
[quote name='kendo nagasaki' timestamp='1297446659' post='113751']
Hi, I am soon after getting a set of alloy wheels to fit my car, a 2000 1.8 ghia 4 dr saloon, now I have been on a couple of websites and have seen 2 different size tyre fitments on a 17" rim, one being a 40 profile the other being a 45 profile, now I know that ford use 2 different size wheels, one being a 14" steel wheel and the other being the std 15" alloy, the tyre height between the 2 being slightly different, as my speedo is running 5 mile out at 50mph (or is this normal) should I go for the taller profile tyre?
[/quote]
see attached any help

tom
kendo nagasaki
As I have now got my wheels on, I have been told they might not pass a MOT as the front wheels stick outside of the arches, the back ones are level with them, now the tread on the tyres seem to be just level with the arch, I have seen other focus models (mk1) with similar issues, now when I bought the wheels (secondhand) they had been on a MK1 mondeo, as I did a few online checks and the offset should be the same, I do not want to have to buy another set of alloys if possible, any help please would be grateful.

Full Colour Version: Wheel And Tyre Combinations
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615