Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parasidic Battery Drain
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
philsey
hi all, i have a 1996 fiesta 1.4 si and have a really annoying problem, if i leave my battery connected overnight, by the mornin my battery is dead, ive changed the alternator,removed the stereo overnight and various fuses even the factory fitted alarm still to no avail, has anybody got any other ideas? im not exactly a mechanic and defo not an electrician, can faulty relays cause this??? any help would be grately appreiciated :)
taffg
[quote name='philsey' timestamp='1297716790' post='114167']
hi all, i have a 1996 fiesta 1.4 si and have a really annoying problem, if i leave my battery connected overnight, by the mornin my battery is dead, ive changed the alternator,removed the stereo overnight and various fuses even the factory fitted alarm still to no avail, has anybody got any other ideas? im not exactly a mechanic and defo not an electrician, can faulty relays cause this??? any help would be grately appreiciated :)
[/quote]

there are several different earth straps around the engine bay and rest of the vehicle although i cannot exactly advise where, have you got a haynes or maybe someone one the forum may be able to help out. i would remove all these in turn, thoroughly clean contacts with wire brush and refit ensuring a good tight connection.
mintalkin
did you get the battery drop tested for any dead cells?
btmaldon
Have you got a light in the boot and are you sure its shutting off when the boot is closed?
philsey
[quote name='btmaldon' timestamp='1297786012' post='114272']
Have you got a light in the boot and are you sure its shutting off when the boot is closed?
[/quote]

[b][/b]I removed the bulb incase it was that but still hasnt helped
fishpond 47
[quote name='mintalkin' timestamp='1297785786' post='114269']
did you get the battery drop tested for any dead cells?
[/quote]

As said above 'have you had the battery tested?' if yes then put a volt meter across the battery without anything switched on and you should see the volts dropping slowly, go through everything you can (maybe pull each fuse, one at a time) till the volts stop dropping, when you find which fuse stops it then work on that line, ie: if it's the radio fuse and it's stopped dropping when you pulled that fuse then the short is on/in the radio wiring.

hope this helps.

Full Colour Version: Parasidic Battery Drain
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.