Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red Battery Light
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
Pages: 1, 2, 3
johnH
i was just spinning on my office chair and thought of something.

the relay!

could this give me this hassle?
jeebowhite
Could be, but then again its not the easiest thing to test and find a problem with!
johnH
ill eat my work shoes if it turns out to be something that i can pick up for around fiver (from internet). going to do some research to see how to test them.
johnH
right todays the day that this should get sorted...its now at jennings ford gateshead...i know when i turn up and look at the invoice, im going to have to walk up to the table, pull my trousers down and embrace the love that they will give lol

edit: i will keep you guys posted on how it goes, what the fault was and all that good stuff.
catch
Bit late getting involved in this thread :huh: ............sorry about that John.

Now way back I bought a little Toyota Corolla for the wife, it was in lovely condition [private sale, owner buying a new Corolla] Anyway, I thought I would give the engine and the engine compartment a clean. Applied the gunk which you then washed of with water. First [and by the way the last] engine clean I attempted to do.

With not covering the alternator good enough, I obviously managed to get some sh@t onto the commutator of the alternator. And every now and again it would contaminate the brushes that take the juice off the commutator, and light the red light on the dash.I just used to give it a squirt with some electrical component cleaner/degreaser. It never caused me to have a flat battery, hence I never felt the need to strip it down and give it a good clean out. It became one of those, when I have a bit of time jobs, that never actually got done

In your case maybe your alternator brushes just need replacing.

[url="http://www.ehow.co.uk/video_4936007_replace-worn-alternator-brushes.html"]How to Video [/url]
johnH
thanks catch, unfortunately, if the brushes are located within the alternator, this should of been sorted when a new alternator was fitted.

im thinking the ECU needs to be told a new alternator has been fitted so it can switch off the light. been there a fair few hours now, so im begining to think they have no idea or its a big 'un.
jeebowhite
[quote name='johnH' timestamp='1300105244' post='118437']
thanks catch, unfortunately, if the brushes are located within the alternator, this should of been sorted when a new alternator was fitted.

im thinking the ECU needs to be told a new alternator has been fitted so it can switch off the light. been there a fair few hours now, so im begining to think they have no idea or its a big 'un.
[/quote]

or their charging you labour for the car to sit in the car park... ;) fingers crossed they can just reset it, but as far as I am aware, you dont need to tell the ECU about a new part, you just need to tell it to forget about the old error...

oh, and I hope they dont love you too much, or you could be at their desk for quite some time!
catch
Oh bugger, I did not re read the thread, so did not know you had bought a new alternator as well as a new battery..............This is turning out to be one hell of an expensive red light. Plus is it fair to say that both the battery and alternators were not the cause...............Or should I not be such an idle sod and re read the complete thread to see if the above question has already been asked and answered. :rolleyes:
jeebowhite
[quote name='catch' timestamp='1300105820' post='118439']
Oh bugger, I did not re read the thread, so did not know you had bought a new alternator as well as a new battery..............This is turning out to be one hell of an expensive red light. Plus is it fair to say that both the battery and alternators were not the cause...............Or should I not be such an idle sod and re read the complete thread to see if the above question has already been asked and answered. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Lol, if your only a human, we might let you off, otherwise if your an altogether different being... lol

Realistically though, if all of the alternator parts directly involved have been replaced, I just dont see what else it could be? unless of course its a faulty pulley somewhere that although it spins, its not engaging a connection all the time, so cries?
catch
[quote name='Dan62' timestamp='1298454673' post='115467']

As previous members have said, a new battery wouldn't be a bad idea especially seeing that its not the original battery and if your going for the battery I hope I'm wrong and it fixes it. From past experiences throwing at parts trying to fix a fault is costly and annoying.

Good luck and keep us posted.

D.
[/quote]

Well I've re read the thread, and I have to agree with the above comment. To me, if your motor starts up every morning then there is now't wrong with the battery, because it proves your battery is holding it's charge. And if your motor does not die on you mid way through a journey, that also indicates at the very least the alternator is providing the juice needed to run your lights, heater/aircon and the rest, even if the battery was duff.

So if your alternator is shot at, you can live off the battery until it runs flat. A failed battery means you would not have the power in it to turn your motor over in the mornings. Never rush out and throw money at motors. Garages are all to ready to do that for you, they just fit new parts until they finally manage to fit the part actually needed to fix the problem.

I have a heavy duty battery charger/starter, I bought it brand new in my pub :rolleyes: must be over 18 years old, I've only ever had to use it once to charge a flat battery, oh and to start a neighbours motor. I cannot honestly remember when I last had to buy a battery, and I've never ever had to replace an alternator. Not bad going having only ever bought second hand cars for all of my 46 years of car ownership.

Touching wood as I write this post :D
johnH
thanks for the comments guys. just rang them for an update and apparently they are looking at it now...all very well since its been there since 10!

i was thinking there cant be anything wrong if i have covered the mileage i have done, in the dark, with my stereo on. i was speaking to a mates dad who just had a galaxy in for the same thing. apparently there was something in the dash(not cluster) he replaced and the light went off.

im putting my money on something really simple, like a sensor grounding incorrectly or something.
johnH
:D well happy now...got it fixed.

this is what it says on report:

"INVESTIGATE BATTERY WARNING OB 85+
CARRIED OUT IDS HOOK UP RETRIEVED CODES
P0622, CARRIED OUT CHECKS ON SMART CHARGE
WIRING, FIND HIGH VOLT DROP ON WIRE, LOCATED
OPEN CIRCUIT ON WIRING, CARRIED OUT CHECKS
AND CARRIED OUT REPAIR TO WIRING BETWEEN PCM
MODULE AND ALTERNATOR"

TOTAL COST: 150
VAT: 30
AMOUNT DUE: 180

well so it was the smart charge harness, i must have been elsewhere lol but i can say for definite it wasn't the red wire. the engineer rang and said the wire was snapped in the wheel arch lining area!

as said before im well happy and got this sorted. the best bit is, i thought it was going to cost a lot more to fix XD

thanks for all your helps guys, really appreciate it.

hope this helps someone in the future for ref
artscot79
[quote name='johnH' timestamp='1300121973' post='118473']
:D well happy now...got it fixed.

this is what it says on report:

"INVESTIGATE BATTERY WARNING OB 85+
CARRIED OUT IDS HOOK UP RETRIEVED CODES
P0622, CARRIED OUT CHECKS ON SMART CHARGE
WIRING, FIND HIGH VOLT DROP ON WIRE, LOCATED
OPEN CIRCUIT ON WIRING, CARRIED OUT CHECKS
AND CARRIED OUT REPAIR TO WIRING BETWEEN PCM
MODULE AND ALTERNATOR"

TOTAL COST: 150
VAT: 30
AMOUNT DUE: 180

well so it was the smart charge harness, i must have been elsewhere lol but i can say for definite it wasn't the red wire. the engineer rang and said the wire was snapped in the wheel arch lining area!

as said before im well happy and got this sorted. the best bit is, i thought it was going to cost a lot more to fix XD

thanks for all your helps guys, really appreciate it.

hope this helps someone in the future for ref
[/quote]

thats why i use ford an independant wouldnt have found that and just replaced the alternator just to have the same issue then replace summat else etc etc very few garages understand the smart charge system most dont even know the car should have a silver calcium or double calcium battery
johnH
yeah i know what you mean haha halfords actually recommend lead acid batteries for these vehicles, and from what i have read they a are a no no for the smart charge
jeebowhite
Good Job! shame though because the smart charge system is so complicated it makes it difficult for us mere mortals to diagnose... at least it has now been resolved, although at a cost of 300+ for new battery, alternator and smart charge harness...
johnH
tell me about it and they needed the ford IDS/WDS system to look at it. no doubt using the actuator side of the software...definately going to start saving my pennies and buy a clone device. after 4 diagnostics, i would of got my money back! plus i can get a few beer tokens for the local or national area.
artscot79
[quote name='johnH' timestamp='1300188438' post='118580']
tell me about it and they needed the ford IDS/WDS system to look at it. no doubt using the actuator side of the software...definately going to start saving my pennies and buy a clone device. after 4 diagnostics, i would of got my money back! plus i can get a few beer tokens for the local or national area.
[/quote]

most places do fit lead acid batteries double calcium or silver calcium the sc can detect if the battery has the correct elements and if it doesnt like lead acid it fries it causing electrical issues kind of ridiculous as most cars are fitted with smart charge these days
catch
[quote name='johnH' timestamp='1300188438' post='118580']
[/quote]

Glad you got it sorted at last John.

This thread has served two purposes, one being it highlights a cause and fix of a permanent "Red Light" issue.

And the other being a "University of Life" lesson into the possible pitfalls of chucking money at faults by replacing components on nothing more than a "it must be that" basis.

You know really worthwhile threads like this one highlighting fixes to faults should really be elevated to a folder named something along the lines of "Faults and Their Possible Causes and Fixes" In fact a slimmed down, Fault and Fix post highlighting the problem and the fix, being added to such a folder would be better still.............anybody else agree?
johnH
defo agree with that catch...but in my personal opinion, and i do it myself..will read the thread and think "well that doesnt happen on mine so it cant be that" but thats down to the individual.

one thing linked to this is that i read numerous threads regarding this, and even read that the wire snapped in the wheel arch (but only seen it once) but i thought it cant be mine as these say it comes on after 20-30secs.

but lesson learnt...

basically if the alternator is charging over 13v, and the battery is over 12v its your smart charge wire (blue), either breaking 6 inch from plug at alternator (where cable tie is) or where mine was (wheel arch near pcm). or it could be the red wire (simple multimeter check on engine fuse box). no reported fault on grey wire.
DanielGallimore
Hello, sorry for posting in this topic again but this seems like the problem i've been having.

I have a Ford Fiesta 2003 - Battery light came on about a week ago, assumed it was the alternator as it was sounding very dodgy and also when i have my lights on they would dim is i used my windows. So i got a recondition alternator - put it in got the same problem - got a new reconditioned alternator same problem again light was on - so I start reading up and found that it could be the smart charge system and the ecu - so i thought i'd ask is it worth me just taking my car to a ford dealer and getting them to check it out? i don't really about 200 odd that johnH got given to fix his problem. - Also the battery is only 6 months old.

Basically do you think its the smart charge system? and should i just take it in for them to fault code it and hopefully fix it?
artscot79
[quote name='DanielGallimore' timestamp='1305886117' post='128125']
Hello, sorry for posting in this topic again but this seems like the problem i've been having.

I have a Ford Fiesta 2003 - Battery light came on about a week ago, assumed it was the alternator as it was sounding very dodgy and also when i have my lights on they would dim is i used my windows. So i got a recondition alternator - put it in got the same problem - got a new reconditioned alternator same problem again light was on - so I start reading up and found that it could be the smart charge system and the ecu - so i thought i'd ask is it worth me just taking my car to a ford dealer and getting them to check it out? i don't really about 200 odd that johnH got given to fix his problem. - Also the battery is only 6 months old.

Basically do you think its the smart charge system? and should i just take it in for them to fault code it and hopefully fix it?
[/quote]

it could be a faulty cell in the battery its cheap and free to check any garage will do it the lights should dim if you use the windows momentarily while the alternator adjusts for the drain remember youre using battery power the alternator is just replacing that i doubt its the alternator as youve hgad a few smart charge is possible could be a broken wire but have the battery checked first and as always make sure its silver calcium or double calcium battery. it doesnt sound like you had an issue to start with as you use the windows the motor is high demand so if you are at a standstill idling its a slight dip as the alternator takes up the extra drain thats just normal keep ypure finger on the window button youll see it steadies out the battery light i think is the actual battery i had a 2 month old one that had a faulty cell its not unusual
johnH
hi daniel, appologies for the late reply i just got back to work (only time i can surf forums) anyways to check the smart charge system, put a multimeter across the alternator and check the voltage...if its running at around 14v its fine. if its around 13v at best, your smart charge is knackered.

if this is the case, the common wires are the blue and red. you can check the red instantly with the multimeter, obviously turn car off, turn multimeter to resistance. unplug the 3 wire connection and shove one end of the multimeter into the red port and the other to the corresponding fuse in the engine bay. i cant remember what number it was on the focus, but it is listed in your owners manual. if your getting a resistance of around 0.06 then its good, around 1 or more and there is your problem.

next step would be to check the blue and grey, that would mean finding and getting to your ecu. unplugging the conenction and resistance checking them again.

that would atleast tell you which wire is at fault from that you can trace the wire find where it is damaged and repair it. i think all ford did was strip back the wire and crimp connect it and wrap in electrical tape
catch
[quote name='johnH' timestamp='1305986173' post='128320']
hi daniel, appologies for the late reply i just got back to work (only time i can surf forums)
[/quote]

Sheeeeeeeet, will your surfing the net, who's watching for the "Boogies" entering our air space! :D
johnH
the scopies next door :P im a techy so no work for me :lol:
jeebowhite
Yeah, John just gets so engrossed in the forums, he doesnt realise that everywhere around him has just gone dark and lost power... Hes just sat looking at our posts not realising people around him are shouting and crying cos they cant see the boogies!

...And in the meantime, you see Cameron and Clegg fighting to see who gets to take air force one out for a spin... or should I say Eurostar...
catch
:lol: :lol: :lol:
johnH
that did make me chuckle then wonder why the hell the lights went out and that stupid annoying binging sound (normally just turn it off) went off. nah im only messing with yas.

isnt eurostar a train? or did you mean that? pmsl
jeebowhite
Lol, I meant that, our government arent worthy of their own aircraft, and with the budget cuts and the new rules on MP allowances - they cant go buying private flights so they'l just have to do with a day pass to France :D

And just like a true techie!

{Quote name='JohnH']
lights went out and that stupid annoying binging sound (normally just turn it off) went off
[/Quote]

"OI Jack, Shut that Bong off... Im trying to fix an alternator over the tinternet and I cant hear myself think..."

thats more me... supposed to be fixing chip and pin's and I probably fix more Foci than I do chip n pin's lol :P
johnH
thats exactly how it is jee...followed by the annoying noise of the old forms printer zapping away. only if i had a window! :lol: ive put my papers in now, want to leave the RAF...going to work for arriva and their newer technology.
catch
Ok seeing as it's turned into a joke thread, it's time to wheel out my favourite RAF joke again....you better be ready H

cough [clears throat]...................drum roll........

What do you say to a Fast Fighter Jet Pilot when you come face to face with them in civvy street..................
jeebowhite
JohnH have you been offered a job with Arriva then? and are you sure you dont have to work your sole away to the RAF like most service personell?

and Catch - i think thats one joke where no matter what your response is, it always always get you laughing! mine rhymes with "Co Bit"
catch
He must be snoozing again jeeb :rolleyes:

so in his absence

What do you say to a Fast Fighter Jet Pilot when you come face to face with them in civvy street.................

>

>

>

>

[size="5"]Big Mac and large Fries please[/size] :D :D :D
jeebowhite
haha he must be asnoozing indeed, however, im not sure thats what I would ask from him, I'd be more tempted to ask if he knows which way is up, if so could he go that way...

... By which point I would probably find myself attached to his nose cone by G force and ending up at about 60000 feet, and suddenly in "Theatre" as Jeremy Kyle put it! (ps that show is quite good "Military Driving School" - reminds me I need to catch up with this weeks episode...)

.. I really do sympathise with some who will come looking for an answer to the red light issue - expecting to find a brilliant follow up to this episode, and are going to be disappointed, or end up laughing out loud at us...

Either way, its a result!
johnH
hey, how did you know i was sleeping? you watching me :lol: nah i was on night shift (like now) last night so slept till half 3 ish.

yeah i've been thinking about it long and hard for a while now and decided i dont want to be in anymore. as for arriva, already been for an interview and offered me the job on the spot..so its down to the raf now to let me out in time. i figured i have the quals and experiance so why am i taking pittance for pay when i can get double in civvy street.

i've heard that joke a few times now and still makes me and my colleagues laugh at the poor pilot, who now have to deal with a dwindling number of planes, which is only getting smaller due to cut backs. before long we will be throwing paper planes at the enemy...nah in all reality before long it will all be cyber warfare and people (armies) and equipment wont be needed.

ive seen that program and had to turn it off, it was too fake for my liking...training camps are far from what anyone sees in the "real world" as they bull it up to look like "normal people" but in fact they are very harsh and if you get it wrong...you never get it wrong again as your ear is still ringing :lol:
jeebowhite
OK... Now I know Im missing something... Why do I feel like I dont quite have the same joke in mind as you two! lol Maybe I need to hvae the McDonalds side spelled out to me... :(

As for the job offer, well the RAF wont let you go that easily will they? they will want to get their moneys worth! lol. But the problems with the planes and cutbacks, I can see why the pilots are so stretched... I cant really see the day though that war becomes only cyber, so they will still have something to do :P But I do look forward to a youtube video "JohnH vs the Enemy - Paper Warfare" - I look forward to watching your paper planes cane the opposition :P

Lol, I know how unrealistic they can be (never seen it first hand but I know they are never just 100% as they are) they have to make it look good when they stick a presenter on. I think it would be better just to see a video diary of the trainees - Much more realistic!

Having said that I have learned a lot about our tools of the trade, and they really are very impressive machines.
catch
[quote name='jeebowhite' timestamp='1306312256' post='128871']
OK... Now I know Im missing something... Why do I feel like I dont quite have the same joke in mind as you two! lol Maybe I need to hvae the McDonalds side spelled out to me... :(

[/quote]

Well jeeb, imagine you leave the RAF a highly trained Fast Fighter Jet Pilot, you walk into the Job Centre.....how many openings do you see for a FFJP ? :)
jeebowhite
aaaah, lol... Heres me looking for an article about a fighter jet parking on top of Ronald :rolleyes: lol
jeebowhite
I now feel somewhat responsible for killing the atmosphere of the thread :(
catch
yes you've been a very naughty boy :ph34r:

Oh regards the car in my avatar, not sure of the make. That photo is circa ten years old, we bought it for our first grandson who is 12 years old this December. He was born on Boxing Day, which is funny really because I was born on Christmas Day. And his mum was born on our wedding anniversary....funny old world.

Right off topic now, but the fix of the problem is in there, so the threads served it's purpose.
jeebowhite
lol very true :)

JohnH, have your colleagues picked your boogies up yet? :P
johnH
sorry was sleeping loads trying to get my sleeping pattern sorted. its been predicted it will go cyber, but by cyber i mean the likes of drones instead of the human input (pilot) which is where it is now pretty much with UAVs.

yeah i put my papers in the bosses wernt to happy like...they will be wondering why 3 off us, pretty much from training have gone there and left. but they say it will take 6 months, but if i have a letter of offer of employment i can get out earlier, they are aware of the current climate but they are not struggling as people go to forces as its a guarenteed job with security.

i have plenty of videos on my phone, of what me and my colleagues get up to in our spare time. my mates say they are hilarous and quite sad at the same time.

even if they did do video diaries, they will still be censored like mad. but its funny the under 18's get meetings every 2 weeks for welfare and they all say "its like a prison" i know coz i even said it, but after 9 months of basic training i went a little nuts and said "i love it and want to stay" and laughed at a new lad who said "its like a prison" i didnt stay, they pushed me through to get rid, pretty much let me do what i wanted. :lol:

yeah some tools in the IT techy side are ridiculus on what they can do, i like the fibre fault finder, measures where the snap in the wire is. a good one i found was if you ring 17070 on a bt land line...can find out a bit of info on that ;)
jeebowhite
Sounds alright! and I heard from mates in the forces that if you get out early, you have to repay the training costs? so hopefully they wont send you a bill through the post!

I have to say though[Quote]its a guarenteed job with security[/Quote] Guaranteed for as long you can avoid the enemy!

Good ol' techtools!

Good luck to you though! hopefully if you can get into civvy street sooner rather than later, some normality may be restored!
johnH
nah they wont bill me for the training costs, the way the RAF do it is, once you have completed basic trade training or hit a certain date in your employment under the crown, you are stuck for 4 years unless you get discharged for say failing a fitness test 3 times or any other criminal acts. myself had wierd dates due to fracturing my tibias and heel (in both legs) in basic training so when i hit my date i was finishing basic training starting trade...that was 4 years ago this december.

but there is a rule saying if i have a letter of offer of employment they can let me but its up to manning to decide.

yeah i hope i can gain some normality back, mind you i worked at currys soon as i finished school for 9 months and went to join raf...so i didnt get the full feel of civvy life.
stef123
john I seem to be having a very similar problem if not the same one with my dads 2006 focus 1.8tdci

Basically the alternator appeared to be pumping out nothing, and when the engine is running im getting 11.5v.

changed the alternator and im getting 13.5v with the 3 pin connector on and 14v with it off! so there is something not right with the ecu/smart charge

is the wiring harness for this available seperately or is it a main engine harness job? guessing they just spliced your wiring?
johnH
hey,

the harness is part of the entire engine harness, so alot of money. best bet is to find the break and resolder. im not too sure on what ford did but i bet they just resoldered.

places to look from memory is the tie where the 3 pin connector is held and in the wheel arch near ecu.
stef123
[quote name='johnH' timestamp='1340406934' post='188586']
hey,

the harness is part of the entire engine harness, so alot of money. best bet is to find the break and resolder. im not too sure on what ford did but i bet they just resoldered.

places to look from memory is the tie where the 3 pin connector is held and in the wheel arch near ecu.
[/quote]

thanks john,

in the wheel arch, presumably behind the plastic liner?
johnH
yeah as mentioned in your other thread. right near ecu
Davebrundle
Hi sorry to add to an old post but I now have this problem and need advice . I will start at the start . Ok the bearing in alternator been going bad for about a year . I changed it last week because the bearing noise was driving me mad . It was still working ok . Just the bearings . Also the battery was old and getting low . 4 days ago battery wouldn't start the van so I went to parto and got new battery . All was good untill today . I went out and all was good . Went to go out again 20 mins later and the battery light was on . Bright red no flickering . Locked on . Tried revving engine and light still on . So I checked alternator 3 wire plug . Cleaned it and put back . Started van and still on . So put multimeter on battery . 12.6v started van and then got 13.6v . I watched multimeter and put lights on full and blower on full . It stayed 13.6v revved van and still 13.6v . I have done 1000 miles on new alternator and about 300 on new battery . The battery partco sold me is a normal lead acid battery . I've just read that they not recommended . How and what do I check . Could the battery have fried the smart charge ? Or possible broken wire .? I'm no good with a multimeter and electrics so could someone explain what tests and how please . I just havnt got the money spare to take to garage . And if its still charging can I just ignore the light . Would more damage be caused by my battery if I carried on using it ? . If the battery fried the smart charge would it mean a new ecu ? Help please
Davebrundle
Sorry forgot to say its a transit 2001 100 ps on the above thread
stef123
as you already know mate a standard lead acide is no good for the smart charge system, it should be a silver or calcium type.

not sure if the battery can cause damage to the ecu or not though

Full Colour Version: Red Battery Light
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.