Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Soft & Hard Error Codes
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
APJ
Hello all,

Can anyone tell me the difference between a soft and hard error code?

My focus recently went in for its CAM belt and Water pump change (which went fine) and I also told them about a problem i was having (see my post entitled 'A curious problem'). They said they checked the computer and it read a soft error code..which he said indicated the EGR valve was starting to fail. They said it wasnt 100% the EGR but that was most likely. Am in the process of getting quotes from different garages for cost of an EGR and cost of labour to replace it. Anyway just wondered what was the difference was between a soft and hard error code?

cheers,
H3lly
Why not try cleaning the EGR valve?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DhYk3Mm8HQ
APJ
cheers for this H3lly....Is it the same engine set up on the 2.0TDCI MK2? Would i get a warning light come up on the dash if i did the same as in that video? Or is that only if you take the actual EGR out of the engine?
H3lly
I'm not sure of the similarities between the TDDI and TCDI engines if any. If anything I would imagine this will reduce the chances of any EML coming on. I'm sure the above method will help clean the EGR on your car.
Leemaxd
I do this now and again on my 1.8 tdci , one time I do it the car display said engine malfuntion whilst I was in the process of doing it. All I done was turned the car off and restarted it and it was fine
APJ
hmmm as long as i dont get a permanent engine warning light come up on the dash i might just give this a go. Can anyone recommend a good carb cleaner, or are they all much the same??
Leemaxd
I used the wynns egr cleaner same as in the video, done the trick on mine.
APJ
ok cheers mate, will get me some of this down Halfords and give it a go!
jeebowhite
before you go to halfords check if there is an jays autoparts or a europarts near you - much cheaper!
APJ
yes! theres a Europarts in southampton which is about 6 miles away from me, will go there:-)
jeebowhite
Yeah its cheaper than Halfords so always worth trying them first, check the website, you can enter your Reg and get a price, cant remember if you can do that on Halfords...
Leemaxd
Halfords don't sell the wynns cleaner I had to get it from a gsf or a good car parts shop.

Full Colour Version: Soft & Hard Error Codes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.