Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TDCi juddering - please help
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Mondeo Club
themagicrat
My 2003 TDCi has started juddering. If I'm driving at about 40mph in 3rd or 4th gear on a part throttle the car stutters as if it's about to run out of fuel. At motorway speeds or in normal acceleration it's fine. Any ideas ?

Thanks
mintalkin
if its happens at about 1800-2000 rpm the most common cause could be the egr valve getting cloged up. you can remove and clean it out to see if it improves things
mike4369
[quote name='mintalkin' post='6644' date='Oct 24 2008, 01:10 PM']if its happens at about 1800-2000 rpm the most common cause could be the egr valve getting cloged up. you can remove and clean it out to see if it improves things[/quote]
Mine has started to do the same but despite cleaning the EGR it has not cured the fault. I have also changed the throttle pedal thinking it may have had a flat spot since I had to depress it about an inch before the revs build , this had no effect, also the juddering starts at the same spot on the pedal whatever gear/speed. Totally confused <_<
mike4369
[quote name='mike4369' post='7694' date='Nov 24 2008, 05:15 PM']Mine has started to do the same but despite cleaning the EGR it has not cured the fault. I have also changed the throttle pedal thinking it may have had a flat spot since I had to depress it about an inch before the revs build , this had no effect, also the juddering starts at the same spot on the pedal whatever gear/speed. Totally confused <_<[/quote]
Turned out to be a split in the rubber pipe between the turbo and intercooler quote the mechanic "Its a common fault" once changed the car drives like a dream and is doing more MPG (reduced MPG is another symptom). It is poss to DIY fix
The pedal issue turned out to be a red herring and I wasted a lot of time persuing it.
edit the pipe in question was between the intercooler and the egr
mintalkin
a split in the intercooler pipe is usually leads to a loss of power due to loss of turbo pressure and black smoke. this is not mentoned in the origanal post.
bill1948Libby
[quote name='themagicrat' post='6634' date='Oct 24 2008, 09:25 AM']My 2003 TDCi has started juddering. If I'm driving at about 40mph in 3rd or 4th gear on a part throttle the car stutters as if it's about to run out of fuel. At motorway speeds or in normal acceleration it's fine. Any ideas ?

Thanks[/quote]
Hi. Silly question, but you haven't put petrol instead of diesel in it, have you??? I did and suffered exactly the same symptoms. Reckon I was running on a 50/50 mix. Drained tank & refilled with diesel. Everything ok. If you think you might have put petrol in, drain it PDQ, as diesel lubricates pump - petrol doesn't and replacing pump is expensive. Cheers.

Full Colour Version: TDCi juddering - please help
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.