Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel Falling Off
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
fiesta159
hello there i own a mk4 fiesta 1.25 i was travelling down the road the other day at approximatley 85mph and my rear wheel fell of i cannot see the reason why it fell of i checked the wheel nuts a couple of days before and they where fine i was just wandering if anyone else has experianced this and knows what the cause is cheers
taffg
[quote name='fiesta159' timestamp='1299437405' post='117213']
hello there i own a mk4 fiesta 1.25 i was travelling down the road the other day at approximatley 85mph and my rear wheel fell of i cannot see the reason why it fell of i checked the wheel nuts a couple of days before and they where fine i was just wandering if anyone else has experianced this and knows what the cause is cheers
[/quote]

there shouldnt be any reason for a road wheel to fall off, i hope you didnt do too much damage. when fitting the wheel ensure that it fits evenly on the hub, especially on the centre hole, the wheel nut studs are right handed (right hand thread) so as the wheel is spinning during forward motion the nut will naturally stay tight on the thread. check your studs for any thread damage, use a torque wrench to ensure the threads will take the load of a correctly torqued nut. sorry i cant help with the falling off part!
fiesta_lad

85MPH should'nt be going that fast anyway
btmaldon
If you were doing 85mph, how comes your still alive to tell the tale? I would have thought that the car would have been written off as a result at least.
Pete80
[/quote]

Pictures would help to be honest, thats if there is anything left of the rear arch. If the wheel has fell off I would expect its a problem with the studs or nuts used. A friend of mine had used steel wheel nuts when he upgraded to alloys, needless to say he made a big mess of his wheel arch when the wheel came flying off which was a shame as he had a mint Rover vitesse

Full Colour Version: Wheel Falling Off
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.