Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Can I Check My Charging Output.
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
frund
Hi, I have a 04 petrol fiesta 12k only. This winter the battery was changed and the correct one fitted but it has slowly discharged, over a couple of months. The previous owner had this problem and her garage came to her rescue occasionally. The original battery was on it when she sold it to me so I felt sure it was a old battery problem. This car is never used at night and usually does 2 miles two or three times a week. This car has mostly done short runs all its life. I kept the old battery which is now on charge. Contacts spotless. Should I check the charge imput or am I expecting too much from my short runs/charge time...any thoughts welcome.
jeebowhite
[quote name='frund' timestamp='1300783042' post='119546']
Hi, I have a 04 petrol fiesta 12k only. This winter the battery was changed and the correct one fitted but it has slowly discharged, over a couple of months. The previous owner had this problem and her garage came to her rescue occasionally. The original battery was on it when she sold it to me so I felt sure it was a old battery problem. This car is never used at night and usually does 2 miles two or three times a week. This car has mostly done short runs all its life. I kept the old battery which is now on charge. Contacts spotless. Should I check the charge imput or am I expecting too much from my short runs/charge time...any thoughts welcome.
[/quote]

hmmm very perculiar. The mileage of the car shouldnt be giving this sort of problem, but a slow discharge could be a number of things. For Example, I have "Modified" my interior so that I have a 4 - 1 extension running from the 12v socket on my focus, I put the extension underneath the centre console, with the gearstick. My car was "slowly discharging" because I was a muppet and left the extension plugged in, with my Radio transmitter being powered, and the MP3 player charging...

If you take a multimeter to the alternator, that will tell you what sort of power output your getting and if you have got a problem with the alternator.

its a shame the Ford warranty doesnt extend beyond the four years for such a car with so few miles on the clock!!!
frund
Yes very low mileage and has had light use old lady previously but even then I used to start it up and leave it run for 20 mins or so otherwise it went flat over a month or so. I went out this morning and it was totally flat although yesterday it did around 2 miles with nothing on it has slowly been getting weaker. I have fitted the 'old charged overnight battery' and it just flew around. I did notice when I connected the battery that there was a bit of splatter from the terminal so there is something already on although nothing I know of and nothing has been added electrically. Maybe there is a slight discharge somewhere. I am not sure of what is supposed to be on Management system or something. I notice when I change the battery, twice, the radio stays coded although off so something must be looking after this. thanks
jeebowhite
[quote name='frund' timestamp='1300790438' post='119563']
Yes very low mileage and has had light use old lady previously but even then I used to start it up and leave it run for 20 mins or so otherwise it went flat over a month or so. I went out this morning and it was totally flat although yesterday it did around 2 miles with nothing on it has slowly been getting weaker. I have fitted the 'old charged overnight battery' and it just flew around. I did notice when I connected the battery that there was a bit of splatter from the terminal so there is something already on although nothing I know of and nothing has been added electrically. Maybe there is a slight discharge somewhere. I am not sure of what is supposed to be on Management system or something. I notice when I change the battery, twice, the radio stays coded although off so something must be looking after this. thanks
[/quote]

The radio code holds its memory for a short period after the power is lost, once it exceeds this, it then asks for the code. I would suggest its best to take it to Ford, who knows they may do a good will gesture because of the low mileage? unlikely but optimistic!
frund
I will see how it behaves through the next few weeks and if I still, and I suspect I will, have probs then the Ford dealer may be my only choice. I have 2 batteries so no real problem and it takes quite a while to flatten them but it would be nice to know what is causing the batteries to go flat. thanks for your imput.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615