Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust And Glow Plug Issue
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Mondeo Club
waterminx
Hi

Have a Ford Mondeo Estate tdi diesel thing.... 03.

Bought four years ago - I have had only one real problem - occasionally the glow plug light comes on - steady not flashing - then the car cuts out.

Its only happened about 3 or 4 times - normally when going quite fast, on a long run. I worked out that all I had to do was turn the switch off - switch back on immediately... it would catch and fire up immediately - voila! No problem, carried on as normal. Shes a great motor - goes like sn*t off a stick - and has otherwise never let me down.

Sadly, last year, I was given a terminal prognosis on the car - a case of disintegrating fly-wheel or something??

But last week the back end of the exhaust - a box looking thing with a bit of e-pipe sticking out - fell off! I havent had it fixed yet... not sure its worth it.. .but it has been useable for very short trips. Until last night.

For the first time ever, she wouldnt start. No warning, nothin out the ordinary - she suddenly just wouldnt start. This time the glow plug light is flashing.

Is the exhaust dropping off and the glow plug light thing related, do you think? If I get the e pipe fixed.. will that sort out my glow plug flashing???

Just thought I would ask those in the know. Shes been a brilliant car and I sure have had my moneys worth... I just dont know if its worth throwing any more at her. (Dont tell her I said that :-))

Thanks for any advice
Minx
mintalkin
the exhaust droping off will not effect the non start, if the dual mass flywheel is disintegrating it will throw iron filings into the starter motor and the crank sensor,it could be that the sensor is covered in filings and can not pick up the signal from the flywheel causing the non start, try cleaning the sensor but this will only be a tempory cure untill the DMF is replaced.
waterminx
Thankyou so much. That makes perfect sense.

I am afraid that the replacement of the DMF is a no-go - too expensive given the value of the car. But - I will certainly look to replacing it with another Ford. After years of driving VWs this has been a real eye-opener for me! I love the car and am so sorry to know she is on her last legs.

Thanks again - I will pass the info to my friendly mechanic who is coming to see her on friday.

Minx

Full Colour Version: Exhaust And Glow Plug Issue
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.