Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crankshaft Oil Seal
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
chris1210
Had a small leak on my 2006 1.6 TDCI for a few weeks now which was diagnosed by a local garage as a Crankshaft Oil Seal that needs replacing.

They are, however, saying they need to remove the gearbox, and have come back with a price of 489+VAT....

I'm leaving it for the time being to get a second opinion - anyone else have any thoughts on how difficult this could be to replace?

Cheers
stef123
[quote name='chris1210' timestamp='1301907482' post='121474']
Had a small leak on my 2006 1.6 TDCI for a few weeks now which was diagnosed by a local garage as a Crankshaft Oil Seal that needs replacing.

They are, however, saying they need to remove the gearbox, and have come back with a price of £489+VAT....

I'm leaving it for the time being to get a second opinion - anyone else have any thoughts on how difficult this could be to replace?

Cheers
[/quote]

If its the crankshaft seal for sure then one end of the crankshaft has the timing gear and the other end has the flywheel and clutch assembly. If any oil gets onto the clutch friction disk then it will be a new clutch also. if it is the flywheel end then its a gearbox off job to replace..

Can you see where the oil is coming from?
btmaldon
I had the same on a Mondeo many years ago. I had a new clutch fitted at the same time as the car was on 110k at the time. It cost me about 360 at the time, but was a good few years ago. It may be worth shopping around.
chris1210
Thanks for the replies guys :)

As for the location of the leak, when i had a look underneath i couldn't make out the location of the leak. It had covered the underside of the gearbox in oil - i guess this means the leak is on the 'expensive' end to fix? (i.e. the leak appears to congregate on the middle to right side of the engine bay when looking under the bonnet)

Full Colour Version: Crankshaft Oil Seal
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.