Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Lines
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
LEWDAN
Been having problems starting my 1.8TDDI focus from cold, or if it,s been left for about 3 hrs as per my recent post ( Poor starting )almost sure there is air getting into fuel lines and then i have to crank engine to get rid of it. Wondered if anyone knows if there is a one way valve in the system that could be faulty and allowing drain back of diesel , or it may be pulling air past one of the line connectors :blink: Where can i find a diagram of fuel flow and pipes ect.Any help appreciated.
LD
PS Is it possible there would be a lift pump in The tank
bt_cav
Hey Leedan, Im not sure, I would start looking around the fuel filter first, maybe a seal has been disturbed during a filter change.
johnH
i had a problem with air getting into the system and a crappy filter (that had never been changed) the seal around the fuel filter housing was crappy and degraded. id change this and the filter (comes as a pair) as its the cheapest first.

this is on a mk2 focus mind. not too sure on the other models.
jeebowhite
Hi Lewdan - On the previous post we did suggest that you change the fuel filter as its likely the seals are gone! its definitely worth looking at this as its much cheaper than other problems to fix! replace the fuel filter and see what improvement there is if any!
LEWDAN
[quote name='jeebowhite' timestamp='1302462810' post='122401']
Hi Lewdan - On the previous post we did suggest that you change the fuel filter as its likely the seals are gone! its definitely worth looking at this as its much cheaper than other problems to fix! replace the fuel filter and see what improvement there is if any!
[/quote]

Hi fellas, thanks for the replies, sorry ive been so long getting back.
Still have the same problem :angry: i have changed the filter, checked the glow plugs, and checked that power is getting to plugs! but still won,t start very well from cold..i crank the engine for about 30 secs there is white smoke from the exhaust and a smell of deisel so i can only assume that fuel is getting through but is not igniting!! my glow plug light only stays on for about 5 secs max even when engine is stone cold, is this normal? i am now fairly sure its electrical problem but dont know what to try next?? any ideas much appreciated....
When warm starts on the button every time, and runs really well ---very frustrating
Thanks again
jeebowhite
You say you checked the glow plugs, have you tried replacing them? depending on the mileage and if these are the originals then they may just be long dead!

As for the smell of diesel, you shouldnt be smelling it at all, you could find the gaskets round the glow plugs are gone, maybe thats letting in oxygen to the combustion chamber (when cold the metal contracts and opens gaps, when warm, metal expands and closes them) so it may be something to do with this?

Anyone else on the board agree, or is this my days of science from moons ago coming back in the wrong order?

Full Colour Version: Fuel Lines
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.